Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a 660whp Gen IV with 3 55 Gears Which Tire

Greetings!

I am purchasing a heads/cam 2009 Coupe. The car is amazing! I am looking for a stickier tire than the regular Pirelli that is currently on it. Price really isn't much of an issue. 97% of the time, this car will be a highway runner. 3% of the time will be the dragstrip. Soooo, basically, I would like to dead hook 2nd gear. The wheel is a 19 and I would like to keep the handling aspect of the car so the NT05R is not an option for me. I am thinking the R888R, Corsa, Pilot Sport Cup 2, or maybe the ACR Kuhmo. I'll be driving the car about 4000 miles per year so, in the perfect world, I would be stoked if I could get 6000 miles out of a set. Thanks in advance!

Enthusiast
    I'd start with the R888R out of the tires you have listed.

Steve nailed it. 888s rock. Pictures of said car?
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Stupid question, is there a package deal for VOA members on here? Yes, I am going to renew my membership...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 06SRTCoupe View Post
    Stupid question, is there a package deal for VOA members on here? Yes, I am going to renew my membership...lol.
    You'll get nothing and like it................................

You shut your whore mouth Michael.

You shut your whore mouth Michael.

lol.

call jonB and ask him for a voa discount after you become a member
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    lol.

call jonB and ask him for a voa discount after you become a member
    Since he only has a limited number of these to give out and they are in high demand. Best bet is to call him directly first thing Monday morning...so you are first in line...

Enthusiast
    You mention 97% of the time this will be a Highway Runner, and it needs to be mentioned, the R888rs are super noisy, so you do need to keep that in mind. Since Drag Strip is just an occasional situation, I would probably determine your needs based more on the livability on the road. Agree the Pirellis are not going to hook up with some others , but the Toyos are rumblers! Funny item is they are listed by TireRack and their own Promos as for track and autocross use only!

Enthusiast
    R888Rs would be my choice as well. My car is so damn loud I couldn't hear the tires..

Enthusiast
    Also , no one asked where you live, as the R888rs and some others are a risk if it rains much where you live ---- they will barely shed a tear, let alone a lot of rainwater. But , if rain isn't an issue, I would get the Michelin PSC2s over the Toyo R888rs any day - imho. They are better in the rain, but not much . Concern is your actual note said you are on the highway 97% of the time and we are all answering you as if the 3% is the main focus?

Enthusiast
    I guess I was answering based on him saying he wants it to stick in 2nd gear.

Enthusiast
    Pilot Sport Cup2s , do stick quite well in 2nd, when it is warm out. I do find it quite bewildering that Toyo , Tire Rack , etc. warn about running the R888rs on the street, even though a DOT Comp tire. They have a lower treadwear rating than the PSC2s , so they might hook up a little better in a straight line , but they are not close to the Michelins on a Road Course. The Bibendum Donuts do have a higher treadwear rating , so they should last longer on the road and since he is looking for a compromise it would be my suggestion. Just have heard so many complaints about the Toyos from customers over the years , concerning the noise --- and if just for track use who cares, but trying to actual view best scenario when buyer will be on the road the majority of the time.

Enthusiast
    And that's why you're the man.

Enthusiast
    I even feel a bit guilty saying it, as I used to be sponsored by a Toyo Dealer and ran their tires on my race car - Spec Miata. Not knocking the brand, just not a big fan of this particular tire, when primarily for street use.

Thanks for all the replies gents! It definitely does not rain much where I am at.

So it looks like everyone likes the Toyo's or SC2's. Any love for the ACR Kuhmos or are they not going to be sticky enough?

The drag strip might be visited 1-2 times a year so...maybe less than 3%. I know going with a true drag radial would really help there but I should be able to be careful enough in 1st yo ride it out then smash through the rest of the 1320.

Enthusiast
    No need to get Kumhos as you need to be using a full set of same brand tires for highway driving, etc. Not good to mix and match brands.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the replies gents! It definitely does not rain much where I am at.

So it looks like everyone likes the Toyo's or SC2's. Any love for the ACR Kuhmos or are they not going to be sticky enough?

The drag strip might be visited 1-2 times a year so...maybe less than 3%. I know going with a true drag radial would really help there but I should be able to be careful enough in 1st yo ride it out then smash through the rest of the 1320.
    Did you but the silver coupe with the centerlocks? Looks like a super clean car!

Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    Did you but the silver coupe with the centerlocks? Looks like a super clean car!
    Yes sir I did! It is very clean and I'm surprised it was for sale as long as it was. Got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I guess I was answering based on him saying he wants it to stick in 2nd gear.
    He would be lucky to get it out of 1st gear.............................

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    He would be lucky to get it out of 1st gear.............................
    Get back to work Mike and bring me my money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    No need to get Kumhos as you need to be using a full set of same brand tires for highway driving, etc. Not good to mix and match brands.
    Oh for sure Bill...I definitely would not do that. I was just curious about the ACR Kuhmos and how sticky they were.

I just installed the R888R's for the NVE Vegas event. Used them on the track, autocross and drove them around quite a bit. Yes, there are louder than the Michelins but if you have a modified exhaust, you'll never hear this issue. For me the sound was more of a higher pitch whine than a rumble or roar.....it does depend on the surface with asphalt being quieter than concrete roads.

They worked great and are very smooth running on the highway (better than the Michelins). They are also very predictable on the hook up. I'd have no problems driving these across country, even if it rains.....but then again I've driving on Hoosier R6's for hundreds of hiway miles. In my experience, even the Michelins require you to slow way down in the rain, period. But, who wants to drive a Viper in the rain, lol??

I too have a Gen 4 with 3.55's, headers, Mopar computer and lower 5th & 6th gear ratios so I'm turning more rpm at freeway speeds than a stock Viper.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    Nice. Just put my prefix head/cam stage 2 in, can’t wait till see how these cars produce!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast