Threaded View

Replacing window regulators and general inner door panel removal

For anyone who has a window that raises a bit slowly or hears a cracking noise when lowering/raising the window, this will be for you. Chances are that your plastic window regulators are in need of replacement. Luckily, direct replacements can be found for about $12 for both sides. Here is what you need and how to replace them.

Note: this is a fairly easy 1 hour job, but do keep track of all the different sized screws, as Dodge went a bit nuts in the randomness department.

*Based off of a 96- You will see a couple of different screw locations and door handle surrounds for other years, but this will get you 95% there*

**You may find a long black plastic rail in the bottom of the door. This goes onto the front window rail, to stop the window from rattling around. I glued mine back into the rail**

What you will need:

- Variety of flathead screwdrivers and a mid-sized phillips. A very small flathead is handy if you have one
    - A T-30 Torx bit, preferably on a small ratchet and medium length extension
    - Plastic panel removers (things will scratch without these)
    - 23mm socket (Deep socket or the Craftsman Max Access as seen in the pic. A short 23mm will not work)
    - 10mm socket
    - White lithium grease (I found the spray type to be more helpful and much less messy)
    - Adjustable wrench and optional small vice grips
    - Butyl tape to reseal the inner plastic cover (I am sure your current butyl will be dried up and will not reseal)
    - Painters tape if you have an earlier year car, with the door handle surround seen in the pictures
    - Extendable magnet for some dropped screws
    - Your favorite mechanics gloves
    - Replacement "christmas tree" door panel fastener. the one in the picture is close, but not quite big enough FYI
    - New regulators (I sourced mine from Amazon- Search for "Viper-9602-F-LR")

Okay, here we go....

**Lower the window to the middle position**

Remove the inner door handle. Put painters tape around the handle, as to not scratch the highly fragile door paint. Using the thinnest door panel remover, pry up slightly from THIS side and push it in THIS direction:

Here is what it looks like, so you can see how it slides in and out:

Remove this screw:

This single screw on the top left of the door:

Three screws for the speaker:

Unplug the main speaker:

These screws under the speaker:

This hidden screw on the very left of the door panel:

These three screws:

This single screw on the bottom outside corner:

On the right hand side of the door, you will have the christmas tree clip. Use a panel remover to pry it out, if it isn't already out:

Your upper inner stanchion (where the emergency exit handle is) should be loose enough to remove now. Swing it away from the door and pop out the connection for the emergency handle:

Get this screw out:

Pop out this very tiny guy from the door opener and unplug the electrical connection. Then use your 23mm to remove the door opener nut, this removing the door opener from the outside of the car:

Now you should be able to lift off the door panel from the door. Unplug the wiring for the tweeter:

Remove this side screw. Your outer stanchion will just need to swing out of the way, but you do NOT need to fully remove it:

Lift up the inner weather stripping and just lay it off to the side on the windshield (no need to fully remove it from the car):

Part 2 below...
    Last edited by MacGyvers Mullet; 08-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.