Laguna Seca High DB Track Day Jul 16 2018

Laguna Seca 7/16/18 Registration Exclusive Track Days

Just passing along registration info on a rare high DB (105db limit) track day at the infamous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, CA. 7 2O minute sessions, only 3 Run Groups so lots of lap time. It's a long way out in July but over 50% of registrations have been filled. So far a decent Viper turnout expected with over 10+ cars over all generations and a few exotic cars to mix it up with. In the last 2 years there has only been 2 high DB sound days open for public registration so if you were ever considering a track day at Laguna Seca, here's an awesome chance to cross this track off your bucket list. Let's see if we can clog this track full of snakes.
    Last edited by RickyBobby; 01-22-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Enthusiast
    See you there RB, I know SoCal will have 3 Comp Coupes there plus hopefully a few more vipers

See you at the track, looking forward to seeing your Comp. Coupe and the others carving corners. I missed the Oct. 2017 high DB Laguna day when there were a couple out. I'll be in the Dark Blue Gen 5 and hopefully in one of the garages. Exclusive Track Days said they would post a link to garage rental this week so keep an eye posted if you are interested in renting one. 13 Vipers in as of this morning, let's see if we can get a few more to to take over the track.

Enthusiast
    RB, thanks and look forward to meeting you. SoCal has 7 of those 13 Vipers registered.

Saw the note about the garages earlier, do you know if the price is per garage, or per car? thanks!! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    RB, thanks and look forward to meeting you. SoCal has 7 of those 13 Vipers registered.

Saw the note about the garages earlier, do you know if the price is per garage, or per car? thanks!! Mike
    It's price per garage reserved but it's a tandem (front to back) 2 space garage so split it with a buddy to share the cost. Cool thing about Laguna Garages is that they open up trackside down the finish line straight so you get to hear/feel/see the action as the cars fly by.

$159 Non-Member Price Per Garage = $79.50 per car/person
    $129 Member Price Per Garage = $64.50 per car/person

I have a garage reserved shared with a buddy and you can request with the organizers to be placed next to any of your friends who also reserve garages. Just send them an email to request when you have reserved.

Enthusiast
    I have been wanting to run at Laguna Seca, but the noise issue has been a problem. I see they have 105 db on July 16th and I am seriously thinking about driving down from Washington State for this event. I usually run in Intermediate class up here, so should I enter B group for this event? Also, should I get my entry in right away even though it is 6 months out? It sounds like it fills up quickly. Another question is where to stay while down there. I don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to sleep that is near the track.

Enthusiast
    Jump in while you can. Last 105db event was early November and sold out in 4-5 days. (45 day notice and a 2 day weekend). If you look at the Laguna schedule (online) there are 0 days available above 92db

Go in the middle group, you’ll be fine. Great group of viper folks from SoCal and NorCal.

At that event a bunch of us stayed at the Holiday Inn, 5-7 miles from the track. Register then keep in touch for hotel and group dinner info. No track in the West like Laguna and you’ll be with a great group of viper enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by viperr View Post
    I have been wanting to run at Laguna Seca, but the noise issue has been a problem. I see they have 105 db on July 16th and I am seriously thinking about driving down from Washington State for this event. I usually run in Intermediate class up here, so should I enter B group for this event? Also, should I get my entry in right away even though it is 6 months out? It sounds like it fills up quickly. Another question is where to stay while down there. I don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to sleep that is near the track.
    Hi there I would suggest to sign-up soon if you are considering this trackday as over 2/3rd full as of today. These high DB days are extremely rare at Laguna, again only 2 public trackdays last year with the high sound limit. Feel like going after Randy's Record lap times? This would be the day to chase it without having to lift throttle around the soundbooth after turn 5...which for Vipers adds 2-3 seconds to your lap time as this is an uphill straight section (great passing zone which is not there during most days to power through and use our HP to our advantage). Also 7 sessions with only 3 run groups...this is also an anomaly at trackdays where you get more like 4-6 at best.

If you usually run intermediate I'm sure you will be fine in Group B which is open passing (but you can still optionally point-by just to make it clear which I usually do anyway). Considering there are only 3 groups, you are probably going to get a huge range of experience/skill in each run group, but since there is no need to lift throttle why be stuck behind a mandatory point-by in the beginner group.

For places to stay in the Monterey/Carmel/Salinas area, well this will be summer time which is tourist/peak season but an affordable stay can be found. Are you trailering your car? If you are, you eliminate most of downtown Monterey and Carmel hotels/inns as there just is not much parking space...so check/call before you book to confirm space. Most economical option would be to camp on the Laguna Seca grounds. You can book here:
    Camping Info.

Otherwise I would suggest using lodging search engines such as airbnb.com or priceline.com and search Monterey/Carmel/Carmel Valley/Salinas/Seaside/Marina/Paific Grove. If you want stay further out and save a few bucks (within 1hr. 20 mins. or less of track) try Gilroy/Salinas/Watsonville.

Hopefully you can come out to track your snake, the history and experiencing your first time carving the Corkscrew are definitely track junkie bucket list items to cross off. If you have further questions about the track, the line, where to stay let me know and I would be happy to give you my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Jump in while you can. Last 105db event was early November and sold out in 4-5 days. (45 day notice and a 2 day weekend). If you look at the Laguna schedule (online) there are 0 days available above 92db

Go in the middle group, you’ll be fine. Great group of viper folks from SoCal and NorCal.

At that event a bunch of us stayed at the Holiday Inn, 5-7 miles from the track. Register then keep in touch for hotel and group dinner info. No track in the West like Laguna and you’ll be with a great group of viper enthusiasts
    Well said and points taken...I support these suggestions. This is a unicorn day to track on the hallowed grounds of Laguna Seca.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. I guess I had better get going and register. It sounds great, especially having a bunch of other Vipers there. Up here I am usually the only one at local track days.

Enthusiast
    I just finished registering and they show 60 entries, with 14 Vipers. This should be a great chance to hang out with other Viper people and get to run a track I have been wanting to run on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by viperr View Post
    I just finished registering and they show 60 entries, with 14 Vipers. This should be a great chance to hang out with other Viper people and get to run a track I have been wanting to run on for years.
    Awesome see you at the track. Cresting the blind finish line hill at full throttle trusting your car has grip to hold you down before heading into turn 1 and the Andretti Hairpin is also bucket list item to cross off the list. I'll be in the Dark Blue Gen 5 in one of the reserved garages. Stop by, say hello, and bring a chair. Feel free to hangout between sessions with a few other of my truck buddies as we swap track battle stories and other shenanigans.

Enthusiast
    I have registered and will be driving to and from the track, no trailer to park. In checking on hotels I found the Holiday Inn Express in Monterey. Is this the one that people stay at while down there? In checking I see that I need to book soon as that is the busy season. Please let me know which one and I will get the reservation made soon.

Laguna Seca will be a great bucket list track for me.

I second that on Hotel to stay at. I will have a 24' trailer. Thanks

Any folks tracking this day want a garage space to share (1 space available) with a fellow Viper trackrat? To those new to Laguna Seca, there is almost zero shade available in the free paddok area so trying to save you a sunburn, keep your snake cool, and hangout with a few fellow Viper trackrats and others?

Your share of space would be $65, send me DM if interested.