Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Advice will be appreciated

Hello everyone!!!

Finally the time has come when I am ready to get a Viper! I've had Corvette C6, and C6 Z06 before.

I would like to ask for advice when it comes to getting a Viper. I am looking to get a 2008, preferably coupe and not black. What should I be careful about (I have quiet a lot of experience with cars in general, so now the basic, obvious stuff), especially what's particular when it comes to used Vipers to pay attention to? Anything I should be worried about???

Also, I haven't seen too many people who have done it here, but I for sure want to install and aftermarket radio with a backup camera. Any pictures of install, and which radio you decided to go with would be appreciated.

Last but not least, I live in Miami, Florida. Any recommendation on good mechanics/shops who know how to work on a Viper??

Thank you very much!

I will keep you updated once I make a purchase and become really a member of the club!

Enthusiast
    Just curious...why have you narrowed it to just 2008?

Enthusiast
    Good choice on looking for the gen4. I’m sure a lot of people will comment here on specifics but I’m just over 1 year on my first viper so I’ll chime in.
    Get it on a lift with a person familiar with vipers. Look for repairs/ dents in pans, frame rails, and overall condition. Your also looking for leaks common to the viper such as oil cooler lines, shocks (at least on the ACRs super expensive!) aftermarket exhaust look for proper heat shielding/ wrapped wiring and tolerances/ clearances.

Operate the windows and note notchy operation or noise. Window regulators are a common problem.

Rear emergency brake pads/ rotors. There is a common issue with the calipers self adjusting and wearing down causing rotor damage. You have to keep an eye on this throughout ownership. Less of a deal if you don’t use the e-brake, but other members have noted wear and they swore they never used their e-brake. I have not seen an issue but I quit using my e-brake since I read the advice.

Rear hatch release being loose or broken. People use it to push up on the rear hatch and that’s what damages it.

Tire dates a lot of vipers have low miles and the tires are too old to drive safely. Seriously these cars need good tires at all times

If it matters to you. A look for track useage with some tell tale signs. Pitting in windshield, tiny pits in front end paint/ clear bra, discolored viper logo on calipers

Radio isn’t great and most of the subwoofers rattle.

General maintenance items depending on mileage like any car fluid conditions etc.

General driving experience. These cars are tight and should be super responsive to inputs. Transmission will feel firm but smooth. Will blow the tires off of it in first and most if not all of second so be careful. Be prepared for some interior rattles dependingg on road. Mine has none, but I have been in others that rattled a little. (Most C6 corvettes are far worse with the targa tops) if you have the chance drive one ahead of purchasing then take it. I had a person let me take a couple for a drive just to see if the viper was for me. (Thank you John Gastman!)

These cars are really reliable, extremely fast, stop like no other, and will not even think of correcting you if you push the skinny peddle too far at the wrong time. Take care and learn your snake!

I absolutely love my car and cannot say enough how awesome this car is to drive.

Good luck on your search!
    Last edited by SilverACR; 01-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Great advice from Silver ACR he forgot to mention the clutch fluid make sure it is not black . If so get it changed.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsGood View Post
    Just curious...why have you narrowed it to just 2008?
    I want gen4 and the later years get more expensive, 2008 is pretty much in my price range (obviously if I found 2009 in that range, I would take that too)

Enthusiast
    Thank you so much for the great advice and taking your time! Exactly what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    Good choice on looking for the gen4. I’m sure a lot of people will comment here on specifics but I’m just over 1 year on my first viper so I’ll chime in.
    Get it on a lift with a person familiar with vipers. Look for repairs/ dents in pans, frame rails, and overall condition. Your also looking for leaks common to the viper such as oil cooler lines, shocks (at least on the ACRs super expensive!) aftermarket exhaust look for proper heat shielding/ wrapped wiring and tolerances/ clearances.

Operate the windows and note notchy operation or noise. Window regulators are a common problem.

Rear emergency brake pads/ rotors. There is a common issue with the calipers self adjusting and wearing down causing rotor damage. You have to keep an eye on this throughout ownership. Less of a deal if you don’t use the e-brake, but other members have noted wear and they swore they never used their e-brake. I have not seen an issue but I quit using my e-brake since I read the advice.

Rear hatch release being loose or broken. People use it to push up on the rear hatch and that’s what damages it.

Tire dates a lot of vipers have low miles and the tires are too old to drive safely. Seriously these cars need good tires at all times

If it matters to you. A look for track useage with some tell tale signs. Pitting in windshield, tiny pits in front end paint/ clear bra, discolored viper logo on calipers

Radio isn’t great and most of the subwoofers rattle.

General maintenance items depending on mileage like any car fluid conditions etc.

General driving experience. These cars are tight and should be super responsive to inputs. Transmission will feel firm but smooth. Will blow the tires off of it in first and most if not all of second so be careful. Be prepared for some interior rattles dependingg on road. Mine has none, but I have been in others that rattled a little. (Most C6 corvettes are far worse with the targa tops) if you have the chance drive one ahead of purchasing then take it. I had a person let me take a couple for a drive just to see if the viper was for me. (Thank you John Gastman!)

These cars are really reliable, extremely fast, stop like no other, and will not even think of correcting you if you push the skinny peddle too far at the wrong time. Take care and learn your snake!

I absolutely love my car and cannot say enough how awesome this car is to drive.

Good luck on your search!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper vince View Post
    Great advice from Silver ACR he forgot to mention the clutch fluid make sure it is not black . If so get it changed.
    You are correct. I think some of the fluids that people use for track are darker so just ask the seller about change history.

Edit: headers and clutch slave line generally don’t play nice together as well. Cooked fluid on a header car should be noted. It would need insulated and fluid flushed.
    Last edited by SilverACR; 01-18-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    I'd listen for any noise from the rear end; clunk, thud, whine may all be signs the differential is going to need to be replaced. Failing differentials though not as common after gen 3, did still happen in Gen 4 and 5. Don't confuse differential noise with drive line slack which is, for the most part, normal in these cars.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mvicel View Post
    Thank you so much for the great advice and taking your time! Exactly what I was looking for!
    You are welcome sir!

Enthusiast
    You might want to look at my post in the Classified for the 2008 Viper. I can guarantee you won't find ANY problems. Blue with Silver stripes.

Enthusiast
    mvicel, I think you will thoroughly enjoy your Gen IV, once found !! To me, ALL Generations are both unique and a blast to own, but the Gen IV's stand out as both powerful and dependable. They may not be as luxurious as the Gen V's, but they are not plagued with many of the attendant issues that seem to haunt the Gen V's. No disrespect to any Generation meant, just my opinion based on lots of experience.

There are many, many good points that have already been made above by informed owners. To me, it is extremely important to KNOW the Viper that you are considering. Carfax, Autocheck, AND a careful review of the Chrysler data are mandatory in my opinion. One or two owner cars generally appeal more. A thorough pre-purchase inspection by a seasoned, Viper-experienced tech is also mandatory in my opinion. Forcing oneself to be disciplined during the hunt usually leads to a happy ownership experience later. It is far easier to get a good Viper than it is to fix up a shabby Viper...also cheaper in the long run.

Good hunting !!!

Enthusiast
    Pull back the carpet on the passenger foot well. There is a condensate drain line that goes from the AC box behind the passenger side dashboard to the transmission tunnel. If it comes off, the water will collect under the carpet where the floor starts to transition up to the firewall. My floor actually had rust perforation in the corner of the floor. Texas car, couldn't believe it. Pull up the carpet in the hatch area, see if anyone cut an access panel to get at the gas tank If it was done properly per Mopar instructions then no big deal, although it might bother you that it was done at all. Check under rockers below doors for missing fasteners. Screws like to shake out on these cars.

Enthusiast
    WOW!!! This is amazing! I am writing all these down as we speak so I have everything handy!!

I can't thank you guys enough!

Doug Levin Motorsports is in the Miami area. A great resource. Check PMs.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Quote Originally Posted by mvicel View Post
    WOW!!! This is amazing! I am writing all these down as we speak so I have everything handy!!

I can't thank you guys enough!
    You should inquire about A2008's car. I had a blue and silver Viper before, they are beautiful! His car sounds extremely clean. When you have an opportunity to buy a car within the club/forum it takes a big part of the "what if" out of your mind!

I know A2008's he did all the service on his car he bought a clutch bleeder fitting from me .

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman2006 View Post
    Don't confuse differential noise with drive line slack which is, for the most part, normal in these cars.
    The occasional "clunk" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper vince View Post
    I know A2008's he did all the service on his car he bought a clutch bleeder fitting from me .
    Yea, can't say enough about getting a full maintenance history with your car.

A2008's car is super clean and has been well maintained. Give it serious consideration.

Enthusiast
    Hey guys, I really appreciate the Kudos and nods. This is why I advertised the car here. It takes people with Viper knowledge to appreciate how this car is maintained and value for the dollar. Maybe "Mvicel" can't afford my price and is looking at one in his price range. My only advise to him is, after owning 3 Vipers along with the cost of maintaining them, is this car is worth what I am asking.

Enthusiast
    Hi everyone and thank you again for all the responses!!!

A2008 - I really like your car, but it was little too far from me, especially since there were two cars that were much closer to me (easy driving distance) and in color that I really was hoping for!

So, for two days now I am a proud new owner of a 2008 Viper Coupe. I ended up getting a really good deal on a beautiful car and in a terrific shape! The car has 20k miles, brand new tires and in general is in a spectacular condition. Hasn't been in any accidents, doesn't have a single scratch, scuff or even swirl marks. Really remarkable!

The car is also modified in a way I was planing on doing if I purchased one that was stock, so that was another reason why I decided to go with it. The former owner provided all the paperwork that went with the mods as well as receipts and details on all maintenance, materials used, etc.

The car has headers (and everything that a header car needs to get done), MGW short throw shifter, Bad Boyzz Garage competition clutch, rear differential by Wavetrac and 3.73 gears (those I'm debating about switching out as I think they are little too steep), underdrive pulley. The car also has a "quick plug" for battery charger (pretty much just plug the car into a wall, almost like a Tesla haha). Also got provided with a custom car cover!

Again, couldn't be more happier! I did about 300 miles on the first drive (driving it back to Miami) and loved it! I am planning on visiting Doug Levin this week so he has a quick look at the car as well and I want to ask him a few questions too.

Thank you all for the input before, it was really helpful! Excited to be part of the community now as an owner!

ff8c174e-8ab1-471c-bfb9-e979045959ba.jpg

Enthusiast
    CONGRATS, Man...It's a beauty !!!

Enthusiast
    There were 36 built in that color combo - I've got one of them too:

Glad you were able to find the Viper that was just right for you!

Enthusiast
    Congratulations on one good looking ride. Glad you found what you wanted with all the extra’s. That color choice was my second behind my blue! Good luck and be safe.

Enthusiast
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

Enthusiast
    Beautiful car, congrats man. You'll love working with Doug Levin.

That is a great looking Viper ... Beautiful. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast