Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

viper t a 1 0 vs viper gtc t a 1 0 group

can someone explain to me what the difference is between the viper t/a 1.0 and the viper gtc t/a 1.0 group besides the fender stickers? seems like they both have the same wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, aero, interior, orange springs, orange sticthing, sticker hood emblem?

seems like the major difference is the gtc t/a 1.0 group comes in whatever color ya want and the t/a only comes in orange, black and white? do i have that correct?
    Last edited by SRT_BluByU; 11-29-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: fixed typo

My understanding is that the T/A car was a special edition that only came in three colors and only for one year. The Ta group allows you to put all the features on a gtc in any color and is not technically limited or a true t/a.

GTC = Gimme That Cash

LOL, sorry had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by serpent View Post
    GTC = Gimme That Cash

LOL, sorry had to do it.
    Gotta Take Cut.... on resale value.JK lol but the TA non gtc should be more pricey than a 1 of 1

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    can someone explain to me what the difference is between the viper t/a 1.0 and the viper gtc t/a 1.0 group besides the fender stickers? seems like they both have the same wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, aero, interior, orange springs, orange sticthing, sticker hood emblem?

seems like the major difference is the gtc t/a 1.0 group comes in whatever color ya want and the t/a only comes in prange, black and white? do i have tjat correct?
    If youre able to access the customizer on drivesrt.com, it will say the difference in detail on trims

Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    Gotta Take Cut.... on resale value.JK lol but the TA non gtc should be more pricey than a 1 of 1
    why? cant imagine more limited than 1 of 1?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    If youre able to access the customizer on drivesrt.com, it will say the difference in detail on trims
    i looked and it didnt look like anything was different except the ability to choose more paint options and the fender sticker is a badge?

Enthusiast
    This, along with how to properly check your oil level, are probably the two most discussed topics in this forum. Use the search feature.

so a sticker and the ability to delete the carbon fiber x-brace and carbon fiber tail surround and 6 port hood if you so choose. got it. thanks!

The dash will be numbered instead of custom as well. But there are some GTC (GT Custom, in case people forgot what it really means) that had the TA package instead of the TA Group and are "real" numbered TA editions as well. Again it's talked about a lot so you can find more info.

Enthusiast
    I looked at both when I was Viper hunting and in the end I went with the TA. The TA was the exact car that took back the record at the Laguna Seca track. The option group attracted some buyers that wanted most of the TA parts but could add some of the heavier touring options usually found on the GTS. The option group I looked at didn't have the TA interior, decals, carbon x-brace, carbon applique, or 6 vent hood. There were TA package cars made after 2014 but they were extremely rare, just a handful were made because most dealers didn't even know you could order them and the dealer had to have a paid order first. I tried to order a black 2017 TA 1.0 new but missed the ordering deadline but I was lucky enough to hunt down and buy 1 of the 2 ever made last year.

My understanding:

2014 TAs....orange black or white. That’s it. They would all be considered “package” option cars.

After 2014 the TA “package” and “group” options were made available. Additionally there were 1.0 / 2.0 & 1 / 2 variations, respectively.

Lots of cars with the “group” option out there, not many “package” cars. (Outside of the 2014 cars)

I have a 2016 TA 1.0, in y’orange and believe there was only 2 of them made. And only 10 or so TOTAL package cars from 2015-2017. The following information is from another thread, and should help show exactly what came with each option type.

Pete

TA2 (2.0) Package $17,000 USD
    -Sabelt Black Performance Cloth Seats with either Orange or Y'Orange Accent Stitching
    -TA Serialized IP Badge & Decals
    -SRT Hood
    -5 Mode Electronic Stability Control
    -Lower Dive Planes
    -TA Front Splitter
    -Carbon Fiber Rear Applique
    -Carbon Fiber Structural X-Brace
    -TA Aero Wing Assembly Kit
    -Pirelli P Zero Corsa High Performance Tires
    -Sidewinder II Matte Wheels (or substitute for any wheels)
    -Black Brembo Calipers with Orange writing (no substitutions)
    -Time Attack Suspension
    -Track Car Cover

TA1 (1.0) Package $16,000 USD
    -Sabelt Black Performance Cloth Seats with either Orange or Y'Orange Accent Stitching
    -TA Serialized IP Badge & Decals
    -SRT Hood
    -5 Mode Electronic Stability Control
    -Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
    -Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
    -Carbon Fiber Rear Applique
    -Carbon Fiber Structural X-Brace
    -Sidewinder Matte Black Wheels (or substitute any wheels)
    -Time Attack Suspension
    -Car Cover

Time Attack 2 Group $8,700 USD
    -Lower Dive Planes
    -TA Front Splitter
    -TA Aero Wing Assembly Kit
    -Time Attack Suspension
    -Standard Interior (Sabelt Nappa Leather/Alcantara Suede Seats) or choose an Interior Package Upgrade
    -Choose your Color/Stripe

Time Attack 1 Group $7,700 USD
    -Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
    -Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
    -Time Attack Suspension
    -Standard Interior (Sabelt Nappa Leather/Alcantara Suede Seats) or choose an Interior Package Upgrade
    -Choose your Color/Stripe

Bruce H.
    Thanks for posting that comprehensive list Pete! I would note that it does not include the improved performance component that was the deciding factor for me...the TA's larger brake rotors that improved fade resistance on track.

The original 2014 "Package" TA was developed to improve track performance beyond that of the SRT and GTS models. They did that by combining the SRT's 6 vent hood and manual nylon seats with the GTS's dual mode dampers (with TA specific damper rates) and 5 mode stability control, the optional Sidewinder II wheels with Corsa tires used on the SRT "Track Pack" cars, "Advanced Aero" splitter and spoiler, stiffening of suspension spring and sway bar rates, and weight reduction from greater use of carbon fiber and other measures. This performance spec was only available by ordering the SRT with "TA Package", and doing so prevented you from ordering any other options, which for the most part would have reduced performance by substituting performance related parts like tires or adding weight (wheels, leather/electric seats, more speakers, ect). It's certainly questionable how much the flush TA decal improved performance over the raised metal SRT badge, or the lighter weight carpeting, CF brace, rear fascia and reduced use of noise insulation, but victory was achieved from a pretty long list of little details. All 2014 TA's and subsequent TA 1.0 package cars were identically equipped and performing to the car that Randy set the production car record in. It's a shame the TA 2.0 package cars were never tested, but their performance was surely very similar, probably improved on some tracks that would have taken greater advantage of the improved aero, perhaps a little less so where lower Cd was more ideal.

Motor Trend tried to take credit for pushing SRT to build it in order to regain the Laguna Seca record that the Gen IV ACR lost to the '12 Corvette ZR1 when the new '13 SRT and GTS failed to do so. Ralph claimed the TA was already being developed and SRT just accelerated the TA program and sped release to take back the record. Nail biting stuff back in Feb 2013 when Randy Pobst pulled off the win.

The "TA Group" option simply allowed people to combine most of the TA Package performance parts on other models with other optional equipment. Something for everyone!

Enthusiast
    Sorry , but again we have some misinformation and I can personally verify the TA idea was in the hopper long before the Motor Trend issue. One of these days , in the future, when I am retired, I might just drop the whole story, but for now it is good we have folks promoting the heck out of the Viper , building value. I could care less if the cause is fact or perception, since perception is reality in the car business , but.......

The TA Option Group was available in 2014, as all 10 of the Anodized Carbon TAs ( as advertised by Dodge/SRT ) had this and folks almost uniformly call them TAs. But, more importantly the TA Group was out there, though very few recognized it , hence there are a very, very small group of cars that are in colors other than White, Black, Orange, or Anodized , that have the Option Group done in 2014 --- I know of a SSG and Black one for instance.

Since a lot of the talk is about personal preference and biases , which is fine, the one thing that spoke volumes was the customer. When given the choice ( which was available from 15-17 ) you, the consumer, said, " I want a TA1 or TA2 Option group because I don't want the colors Dodge offered. " That frankly is something that seldom is discussed, since most would not be privy to that information since they were not on the ordering end as we were. We started doing 1 of 1s the minute the program began in 2015 and there are a reasonable number of cars built with these 2 Option Groups, especially in 16 and 17 ( remember 15 was a late start on the GTC, i.e. 1 of 1 program ) - and we did a ton of personally designed Snakes.

The exciting thing to me is that folks are singing the praises and values of the car, unlike so many negative nellies we had to listen to for years. So whether you think a TA is worth more because it is numbered, or you feel a unique build is better , that is a much more constructive conversation than some in the past. So keep up the dialogue , but know that so many of the cool changes , models , etc. done in the Gen V, had roots with folks who for years pushed to get more variety done within the model. Some of those folks at Dodge will probably never get the credit they deserve , but there was a lot of passion and camaraderie among a small group to get dreams many of us ( owners ) proposed. Time to go back now and realize how much was accomplished on a shoestring budget by some committed folks at SRT/Dodge.

I have been curious about the anodized carbon cars. That explains it. This Is how it usually works- lots of conjecture mixed with some facts, and bill fills in the gaps. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Thanks for posting that comprehensive list Pete! I would note that it does not include the improved performance component that was the deciding factor for me...the TA's larger brake rotors that improved fade resistance on track.

The original 2014 "Package" TA was developed to improve track performance beyond that of the SRT and GTS models. They did that by combining the SRT's 6 vent hood and manual nylon seats with the GTS's dual mode dampers (with TA specific damper rates) and 5 mode stability control, the optional Sidewinder II wheels with Corsa tires used on the SRT "Track Pack" cars, "Advanced Aero" splitter and spoiler, stiffening of suspension spring and sway bar rates, and weight reduction from greater use of carbon fiber and other measures. This performance spec was only available by ordering the SRT with "TA Package", and doing so prevented you from ordering any other options, which for the most part would have reduced performance by substituting performance related parts like tires or adding weight (wheels, leather/electric seats, more speakers, ect). It's certainly questionable how much the flush TA decal improved performance over the raised metal SRT badge, or the lighter weight carpeting, CF brace, rear fascia and reduced use of noise insulation, but victory was achieved from a pretty long list of little details. All 2014 TA's and subsequent TA 1.0 package cars were identically equipped and performing to the car that Randy set the production car record in. It's a shame the TA 2.0 package cars were never tested, but their performance was surely very similar, probably improved on some tracks that would have taken greater advantage of the improved aero, perhaps a little less so where lower Cd was more ideal.

Motor Trend tried to take credit for pushing SRT to build it in order to regain the Laguna Seca record that the Gen IV ACR lost to the '12 Corvette ZR1 when the new '13 SRT and GTS failed to do so. Ralph claimed the TA was already being developed and SRT just accelerated the TA program and sped release to take back the record. Nail biting stuff back in Feb 2013 when Randy Pobst pulled off the win.

The "TA Group" option simply allowed people to combine most of the TA Package performance parts on other models with other optional equipment. Something for everyone!
    The TA Group has all the performance parts (sans the CF X-brace which is arguably better or not, but could be added with GTC). The TA Group is only missing cosmetics, which could have be ordered through GTC program. It's still hard to believe that there is still so much confusion.

Bottom line, TA Group is only missing cosmetics, at the cost/benefit? of being able to customize the car more.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Since a lot of the talk is about personal preference and biases , which is fine, the one thing that spoke volumes was the customer. When given the choice ( which was available from 15-17 ) you, the consumer, said, " I want a TA1 or TA2 Option group because I don't want the colors Dodge offered. " That frankly is something that seldom is discussed, since most would not be privy to that information since they were not on the ordering end as we were. We started doing 1 of 1s the minute the program began in 2015 and there are a reasonable number of cars built with these 2 Option Groups, especially in 16 and 17 ( remember 15 was a late start on the GTC, i.e. 1 of 1 program ) - and we did a ton of personally designed Snakes.
    I don't understand that customer comment? You could order a TA "package" in a custom color. Donk's old car for example in custom grey is a TA package car.

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    Keep in mind the rules in Canada are different than in the US. There are cars they got there that we did not and vice versa. Good question and one I asked and the answer we got was this was done in Canada , but not the US. Later we heard a few were done in the US ( believe in 2016 ). One of the those rarities that pop up over the years. We , for instance , got some cars in 2008 and 2009 with stripes , but they were not billed to the Dealer or then to the consumer, yet they showed on the Window Sticker and in the computer files -- freebie to those customers.

Enthusiast
    I'm not going to make friends typing this but here goes...

IMO, with the 1 of 1 program when everyone is special no one is. Meaning since the original owner could option in every tiny detail into their car it became perfect for them, but highly unlikely to be perfect for the next owner. So these beautifully optioned cars don't have a good comparable basis to determine value against. From a unique collectible perspective sure every 1 of 1 is unique, but that just means they're all unique and unique is no longer unique. IMO the low volume numbered series cars that have been put out (150 LEs, 10 Carbon TAs, the 3 groups of 14 TAs, Dealer Editions) will hold value better. Why? Because they are unique enough to be special, there's just enough of them that recent sales can be compared against, and there are enough of them to drive some interest that prospective buyers actually look for the models. NO ONE sets out looking for a specific 1 of 1 that's already been built. But we see people all the time post here looking for TAs. And that drives value.

Enthusiast
    The good thing is many folks agree and many disagree , but all are viewing the Viper in a very positive light and realizing how unusual the machine really was. As noted above , we ( Woodhouse ) have every reason to heavily promote the TAs ( knowing it's heritage), and many know we had Dodge build us the 10 ACR/TAs, yet the real advantage is having folks realize there are so many valuable Vipers. It really is not so much a battle of which one is worth more , since no one will convince everyone of their thought process, and I just threw my hat in the circus since over the coming years I think more and more folks will see so many special cars that were conceived and built. The fact that discussions are all upbeat and positive is where we all need to go, as the machine in our garages can only benefit from our passion coming forth with wonderful platitudes of a car not likely to be seen again in the future.

I always marveled at the magazine complaining that the Viper was hard to drive , scary, a wicked beast , yet when I sold them to Porsche Drivers or Corvette Drivers , they often thought it was more precise and easier to control than what they were trading. It almost seems like an act of manhood ( or womanhood) to say you could handle a Viper, yet the reality is experienced drivers often found the car rewarding because it was not hard to drive , it was hard to drive really fast. Now that semantically sounds like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth, but the second part of the sentence was the realization that made many of us a slave to the Serpent Mistress --- hard to drive really fast. Why, because when you thought you were at 10/10ths a year later you figured out you were at 9/10ths, and then 6 months after that she/he showed you a bit more potential. Why do we all love her/him so much, the answer is easy , once we thought we found the potential , later we found there was even more. A magazine test drive never gave many that awareness, they simply did not have enough time with the lady ( or gent, for you female owners ) and hence they never got the full effect. The Viper is a true relationship vehicle and there really are fewer and fewer of them coming down the highway.

Back to the discussion , we are all right , but wanted to make sure folks knew there were some other rare machines out there that will pop up , since few are aware they were done -------nuff said.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I'm not going to make friends typing this but here goes...

IMO, with the 1 of 1 program when everyone is special no one is. Meaning since the original owner could option in every tiny detail into their car it became perfect for them, but highly unlikely to be perfect for the next owner. So these beautifully optioned cars don't have a good comparable basis to determine value against. From a unique collectible perspective sure every 1 of 1 is unique, but that just means they're all unique and unique is no longer unique. IMO the low volume numbered series cars that have been put out (150 LEs, 10 Carbon TAs, the 3 groups of 14 TAs, Dealer Editions) will hold value better. Why? Because they are unique enough to be special, there's just enough of them that recent sales can be compared against, and there are enough of them to drive some interest that prospective buyers actually look for the models. NO ONE sets out looking for a specific 1 of 1 that's already been built. But we see people all the time post here looking for TAs. And that drives value.
    First, let's start with the reality that all of the Vipers are special cars -- incredibly low volume, hand built, great story behind the brand, successful racing history, classic design, the pinnacle of American muscle, still the dream of young boys everywhere, respected by other enthusiasts, etc., etc. But for the '05-'06 Ford GT, there is nothing else as exciting that the American auto industry has produced since the early '70's.

Add to that the current state of transition from gasoline to electric propulsion, and your late model Viper is a very soon to be instant classic. Prices are right now trending toward the $175k range for low mile, desirable ACR-E's.

The question of course is "what is desirable?" You bring up an excellent point that nothing is unique when they all are. Agreed... generally. But the uniqueness of a specific model or color combination is not likely to be the main driver of pricing.

If we're talking about final year, 25th anniversary ACR-E's, there are only a few hundred that were ever made (extrapolating from 600-800 made over the two year period, 2016-2017). Moreover, the car is so drastically different from the other models (again, referring to ACR-E), and from anything else on the road really, that the entire production is very likely to increase in value if any of them do (and, again, they already seem to be).

Thus, I see future pricing for a final year ACR-E being based on the condition and mileage more than anything else. Sure, if you have an amazing Stryker colored car like the beautiful purple with silver stripes, or some other great looking and unique one of one, then you're likely to do just as well as anyone with a numbered SE car because, as you mentioned, there really were too many special editions (it seems that more than half of the overall '17 ACR-E production were SE cars) and none of them had anything that could not be separately ordered. The beautiful, well maintained, rare cars will always fetch top dollar. If you have an "ugly" one of one (not many exist), you might have to wait longer for the right buyer, or maybe you accept a somewhat lower price at resale, but probably not enough to make you lose sleep over. The "ugly" final year ACR-E is still going to be highly prized in just a few years (and sometimes even the most highly prized).
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 11-30-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Enthusiast
    Ughhh...comparing apples to apples. Which ever one that gets around the track the fastest is the better one. Colors, badges, and stickers are all meaningless.

Bruce H.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    The TA Group has all the performance parts (sans the CF X-brace which is arguably better or not, but could be added with GTC). The TA Group is only missing cosmetics, which could have be ordered through GTC program. It's still hard to believe that there is still so much confusion.

Bottom line, TA Group is only missing cosmetics, at the cost/benefit? of being able to customize the car more.
    I pointed out that part of the TA Package performance formula was weight reduction of various parts and the inability to add heavier ones, which is different from Group cars. I definitely would not argue what difference any of that might make to the car's performance, but that is a difference between the two. And while the cosmetics are different as you say, the buyer was able to choose which they preferred!

Bruce - my gtc t/a 1.0 has all the go fast bit for weight reduction, performance, brakes, wheels, same carpet same interior, same same etc and only excludes the cf x-brace and includes my custom slimer color. the 3 lbs and less rigidity of the cf x doesnt make a difference - its cosmetic. there is no such thing as a un-real t/a.. even the carbon cars were t/a group cars.. a t/a is a t/a is a t/a. stickers, paint and cosmetic cf are the difference.

bill - well put and succent.. all the vipers are unique and wonderful machines we are all lucky to have! i dont think a single one has to worry about value unless its a salvage.. and soon even that wont matter.. just like nobody cares if a winged daytona car was at one point a salvage and has beened restored.

man oh man.. we are the lucky few!
    Last edited by SRT_BluByU; 11-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.

All this time I thought TA was abbreviation for something dirty

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast