Enthusiast

Power Steering Line Fittings

I'm looking to replace the high pressure P/S line due to a slight leak that I understand is a common issue with the Gen 3's. I've searched all the forums but can't seem to find any info on the fittings necessary to swap the factory lines for AN style lines. I realize there are a few vendors that sell complete kits for about $300 but I happen to work at a place where I can get high pressure hydraulic AN lines for free.

Does anyone know what fittings are used to mate the aftermarket lines to the pump/fan/rack? I'm wondering if I can buy the fittings from say Summit or Jegs. It's the fitting going to the p/s pump that I'm not sure about (flow control valve?), whether it's an off the shelf item or custom made for the vendors selling the kits.
    Last edited by ViperMike85; 09-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Enthusiast
    Go with the stock lines. They are not that expensive like $150. I replaced mine once in 50K on the car.

Enthusiast
    Where did you purchase your lines? If they're that cheap I'll go that route. Looks like I only need the high pressure line.

Tech Team

You don't have to actually replace it. We can repair the leaky fitting, and you are good to go.

Tech Team

I have found the replacement production fittings to sometimes be defective.

Enthusiast
    I replaced both the fittings and hoses. Somewhere on the forums someone said you can buy just the fittings and carefully cut off old fittings with small cutoff saw and install new fittings on old hoses.

Enthusiast
    I have done this and it works, however it is difficult to cut the fitting off without damaging the hose. After I fixed one end of the hose, the other end started leaking shorty after so I replaced the entire line. Dan Cragin di the work. I'm sure he can quote the hose cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by labtec View Post
    I replaced both the fittings and hoses. Somewhere on the forums someone said you can buy just the fittings and carefully cut off old fittings with small cutoff saw and install new fittings on old hoses.

Tech Team

You might want to get the replacement fittings from Dan Lesser or send him your hose. The replacement fittings I had been getting from the dealer were defective and would pop off. It happened several times.

Enthusiast
    So there's no aftermarket fitting solution to go from the power steering pump to a -4 or -6 AN line? I see a lot of guys running custom AN lines on other applications. It's a bummer because I can have 5000 psi Parker hydraulic lines made but I can't seem to find any info on mating them to the pump. I read a lot on the forums about the HP line being a common problem. I actually thought the fitting was loose as the line moves around when I touch it but it's tight. Does the stock line use a compression fitting or some type of O-ring?

Tech Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    I have found the replacement production fittings to sometimes be defective.

Exactly, what Dan said above.

We can reman the hoses, and give you GOOD fittings. Doing this yourself often leads to a catastrophic self-disconnect, as there are many defective fittings out there, and Dodge is still selling them. If you don't know how to handle this issue, you WILL screw yourself. Also, DO NOT cut off your old fittings! If you don't get it 100% correct, you DAMAGE the part we need to reman them properly!