Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any striped car owners seeing paint issues

Finally received my 1 of 1 today. Looks gorgeous overall. In a few places, there's a color bleed from the stripe to the non stripe area. Under the clear. Anyone ever see this? I'll gets pics up. Thanks

Enthusiast
    Definitely not. The Prefix striping is usually as good as it gets. When you initially pay the $6k for stripes, you wonder "what the hell?". But then you get the car and you realize it is an amazing job (and you never question that amount again).

Check on the right side of the picture, near the stripe.

no issues on mine.. best paint job on any car ive ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS21 View Post

Check on the right side of the picture, near the stripe.
    Washed and Clayed the paint? Could be some very annoying dirt or iron particle that refuses to get off.

I'm having paint correction and xpel/cquartz done, so if it can be corrected, it will. But, imo, it's under the clear and just sloppy work.

just sloppy paint work... this is what happens when a manufacturer rushes a supplier because theyve doubled their workload in a single year and complicated the paintwork even further.

Enthusiast
    Yes I have issues with my factory stripes, but not so much paint bleed. Prefix painted the rear stripes either 1/8" too narrow or to wide (left vs right stripe). Still waiting on SRT and Digital Imaging to make up their mind how they're going to make it right...3 months and counting.

Here are the GTS Stripe measurements Prefix emailed me:

103mm Gap

Rear = 262mm
    Liftgate = 262mm
    Roof = 272mm
    Hood = 260mm Tapers to 213mm
    Front Top = 213mm
    Front bottom = 207mm

Make sure you measure them...
    Last edited by cplabaunza; 09-17-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cplabaunza View Post
    Why would a person want to measure them if they can't see a difference? That just seems to be asking for an issue.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Why would a person want to measure them if they can't see a difference? That just seems to be asking for an issue.
    Well if one and everyone else sees the difference then... Kind of like, "Why drive it, that seems to be asking for an issue" right? lol...

Yes I have issues with my factory stripes, but not so much paint bleed. Prefix painted the rear stripes either 1/8" too narrow or to wide (left vs right stripe). Still waiting on SRT and Digital Imaging to make up their mind how they're going to make it right...3 months and counting.

Here are the GTS Stripe measurements Prefix emailed me:

103mm Gap

Rear = 262mm
    Liftgate = 262mm
    Roof = 272mm
    Hood = 260mm Tapers to 213mm
    Front Top = 213mm
    Front bottom = 207mm

3 months and counting means they aint gonna fix it,lol.....should take a day or so for a answer

Enthusiast
    Well if one and everyone else sees the difference then... Kind of like, "Why drive it, that seems to be asking for an issue" right? lol...
    I don't understand your answer. You were telling people in general to make sure that they measure their stripes.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    3 months and counting means they aint gonna fix it,lol.....should take a day or so for a answer
    It's actually at the body shop as we speak

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    I don't understand your answer. You were telling people in general to make sure that they measure their stripes.
    It was a suggestion, if you'd rather not then don't...It is frustrating that if one pays $5k+ for the option, it should be done right. Sure, there is likely an acceptable degree of allowable variances but 1/8" is not and neither are paint bleeds between the stripe and paint. OP shared his concern as am I.

Honestly if it takes a measuring tape to see the difference I wouldn't let it bother you. If it was something seen with the normal eye then maybe. Now this on the other hand is something I'd worry about. These damn blisters in the paint were like an STD. They spread all over the hood and other panels near the engine. Drove me crazy!

EF6E6671-C0BD-45F0-8638-F89F3C79C69C_zpslsuqwu2a.jpg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
    Honestly if it takes a measuring tape to see the difference I wouldn't let it bother you. If it was something seen with the normal eye then maybe. Now this on the other hand is something I'd worry about. These damn blisters in the paint were like an STD. They spread all over the hood and other panels near the engine. Drove me crazy!

EF6E6671-C0BD-45F0-8638-F89F3C79C69C_zpslsuqwu2a.jpg
    Agreed, and is noticeable to the naked eye, the measuring tape just confirms what the naked eye sees...The issue you had is definitely worse.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS21 View Post

20170606_155449.jpg
    Yeah, file a claim with SRT...here's the paint bleed I have in the same area as one of your pics...

post up some pics of your ride. color looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ViperDC View Post
    post up some pics of your ride. color looks awesome
    Mine? If so, here's a thread i've been updating from time to time, it has some pics....

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...r-Orange-build

20170606_155449.jpg
    Yeah, file a claim with SRT...here's the paint bleed I have in the same area as one of your pics...
    I can't believe that made it out the door..

2017 will be the year to avoid with second hand vipers... they rushed through way too many

Quote Originally Posted by DZnutz View Post
    2017 will be the year to avoid with second hand vipers... they rushed through way too many
    To be fair, which generation Viper had better paint?

Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    To be fair, which generation Viper had better paint?
    who knows, I dont have 20 cars lined up to inspect. I am also not simply referring to paint quality either. When suppliers are used to handling 400-500 orders a year thats one thing... all of a sudden they have 800+ all with custom touches and your gonna have problems like this... especially with a production deadline

Over the past 5 years I've heard of countless paint issues. This type of thing should have easily been caught. Prefix seems to get more credit than they deserve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast