Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Exclamation Break your car in properly and change those fluids

Just hit 504 miles on my 2017 GTC after taking an impromptu, late night 6 hours drive up the coast of California from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo and back. I'm driving up to Monterey for Car Week tomorrow and I wanted the car to be broken in for the drive up, instead of breaking it in on the way up and then having to wait to change the fluids after I returned home, which would have put me passed the 500 mile mark by about 200 miles. Followed the manuals break in instructions to the T and brought her in to change all fluids.

FIRST - I got a check engine light at 298 miles, 330 seconds after start up, at about 65.27 MPH, oil temperature at 183 degrees. The self diagnostics did showed that it was an "unrecognized code". Didn't notice anything wrong with the car so I continued to drive it home. No irregularities happened on the drive home or to the dealer this morning. My friend who is the SRT Tech brought me to his station to show me some things. Here is a picture of the code and the possible symptoms. My buddy doesn't think it's anything too serious but he checked up on each possible cause just to make sure I would have some sanity on my way to Monterey.

SECOND -Fluids. My buddy showed me the engine oil first. Very minimal contaminants in the engine oil and he stated it is one of the cleaner looking Gen V engines he's seen at 500 miles. However, he suggests another oil change at 1,000 miles and to send it off to Blackstone for analysis at that point just to be sure.

Then he showed me the transmission. The transmission had a surprising amount of contaminants. He was surprised at this. Suggested another flush at 1,000 miles as well.

He then showed me the rear diff fluid, and boy was that scary. You could see the contaminants in this fluid without even shining a light onto it. He suspects that the ring and pinion are set too tight from factory on these diffs which results in excessive wear and the whine / failures we've seen all too common on the Gen V. He definitely suggests flushing this again at 1,000 miles.

All in all, he applauded me for having all the fluids done and not just the engine oil. I will be back at about 1,000 miles after my trip to Monterey and will keep an eye out for that code again. I hope you guys find this information useful and remember to change those fluids!

The drive up the coast was the best idea I've had in a long time. It felt so good to be back in a Viper. Being the first owner and it being my own dream spec just made it that much more satisfying. I also noticed a few things:

1. The suspension feels more comfortable in street mode than on my old 2013. Maybe this is just in my head, or a result of the heavy abuse my old car had gone through from the previous owner.
    2. The drone is almost gone at cruising speed! I noticed almost a 1,000 RPM difference cruising at 65 MPH in this car vs. my 2017. That revised gearing makes so much sense.
    3. I averaged 22 MPGs, nearly 4 more than my best average in my 2013 GTS.

EXCITED TO FINALLY PROPERLY DRIVE THIS CAR! MONTEREY CAR WEEK IS GOING TO BE A BLAST!

I changed my oil at 330 miles. 393 on it now.

Two tranny and two differential flushes in 1000 miles? I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Brian, glad to see you're finally enjoying the car! I envy you getting to Monterey.

I have to agree with Jon. Transmission flush seems excessive. Unless the first owner of my car did it sometime during the 7200 miles he owned it, I'm on the original fluids at about 12,500 mils (except oil of course, and my new diff, which has been in for 14 months and about 1500 miles). I'll probably have the clutch/brake done within the next year, but the transmission I may not, as the car shifts very well. I'll have to check the manual to see what's recommended.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    Two tranny and two differential flushes in 1000 miles? I've never heard of anyone doing that.
    After what he went through with the first Gen V I dont blame him for keeping this perfect!.

Tech Team

The contaminates are typically gone after the first fluid change.

Enthusiast
    Did an oil change at 750 miles and will be doing a full fluids flush at 1,500 miles.

Enthusiast
    I did oil at 500. Oil, trans, diff at 1500.

Don't forget the brakes. I flushed them on my 13 at about three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    I changed my oil at 330 miles. 393 on it now.
    Hope you have oil ready, you are almost at 400 miles. Time for another oil change.

Enthusiast
    If your rear gears are set wrong from the factory I have to think daily fluid changes wouldn't be enough to prevent the inevitable gear whine. I didn't change mine until around 13k and that was after some racing. All is still whisper silent. Too bad too, it being perfectly silent with no clunking is a major deterrent from swapping in 3.73 gears... Transmission was done for the first and only time at the same time.

Brake fluid I change more regularly though after switching to Motul.

Quote Originally Posted by serpent View Post
    Hope you have oil ready, you are almost at 400 miles. Time for another oil change.
    Gotta get that break in crapola out within 500 miles. Did the same on my first one and it passed the oil and engine recalls with flying colors. Just sayin.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    I did diff fluid changes every 2 track days, which sometimes was less than 1,000 odometer miles. My diff fluid looked similar to the one pictured here.

Enthusiast
    The diff fluid in these cars always seems to be filthy. Has anyone here changed their diff fluid and it WASN'T dark as hell?

Enthusiast
    Id imagine tracking and breakin miles would look the same. Follow the manuel is best imo. If you get a car not properly broken in, I would imagine extra maintenance may be needed but I am not convinced one can truly prevent a failure with extra fluid changes. Get a leakdown test or get some engine work done by arrow or a qualified facility. I dont track like ek1, but I would absolutely flush more frequently and think that is common practice?

Any owner who is buying second or third should try to vet the car to see how it was maintained and talk to previous owners on here if possible. Outside of that, normal use, my logic is follow normal maintenance. All the extra flushes on normal use could be used to break down the engine and even replace bearings or incidental findings if one truly wants peace of mind.

So what's the recommended procedure here? I will take delivery of my car next week. Follow break in for 500 miles and then change oil, then do another oil change + trans and diff at 1,500?

Quote Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
    I did diff fluid changes every 2 track days, which sometimes was less than 1,000 odometer miles. My diff fluid looked similar to the one pictured here.
    That makes sense but he is talking about easy street miles.

2017 Viper owners manual -

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

I'm still amazed they recommend changing the engine oil every six months regardless of miles. You could be changing engine oil with 300 miles in it. It surely hasn't broken down in that time frame.

A lot of those seem to be "generic" and not Viper specific. I bet if you look at the manual for say, a Challenger, it may recommend the same timeframes.

Every 6 month seems a bit excessive.

Enthusiast
    you think the dodge dealer is changing the oil on all their cars that sit on the lot every 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    you think the dodge dealer is changing the oil on all their cars that sit on the lot every 6 months.
    lol, exactly,

Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    Agreed, maybe you should challenge them on that.

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    A lot of those seem to be "generic" and not Viper specific. I bet if you look at the manual for say, a Challenger, it may recommend the same timeframes.
    This is true. Every motorized vehicle (car, truck, bike, etc) I've owned has a basic recommendation of X miles, or 6 months; whichever comes first. I've rarely seen an exception to the 6 month recommendation. Every 'next service' sticker I've seen in a windshield also says this under the next service due category. Take it for what it's worth to you, if it sits for extended periods with little use, I'll change it based on time passed. If I run it on a regular basis, I judge based on mileage even if it goes past the 6 month mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast