Enthusiast

Gen II Engine Rebuild.

Ok just wanted to ask the question,

Friend of mine has a Gen II modified N/A engine that had a engine management AEM system, somehow or other the engine ran too lean and the result was not good!

The engine requires new liners, pistons and of course all the other stuff that goes with it, shells gaskets etc etc!

So what would you do?
    Attempt rebuild yourself? How easy is it for a novice?

Buy a low mileage engine from someone like X Vipers?

Crate up existing engine, ship it back to USA and send it to the Builder who did it in the first place?

Of course after all that there is still the management issue to sort out as to why it caused the engine to seize?

How many of you have built a Viper engine?

Enthusiast
    buy one out of a wrecked one here. might be cheaper in the long run.

I have a 1997 engine(stock block) with GG heads, but shipping over there would be at least $1000-$1200. Your best bet is to get one locally unless you have a container you need to fill with stuff.

Thought that was all sorted Mark....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER BAZ UK View Post
    Thought that was all sorted Mark....
    Sadly not mate, Steve has been let down by a few so called Engine builders who jump at the chance to work on the block, then mess him around for months on end and have done absolutely nothing other than waste his time!

My personal thoughts are to buy a low mileage stock engine and put that in the car to get it up and running, then get the racing engine built at a later date (by someone who actually knows what there doing). Someone at some point is going to require a replacement stock engine in the UK/ Europe, so after the race engine gets rebuilt, he could sell the stock engine on ebay UK, I don't think you would loose any monies? The engine would only have a couple of extra thousand miles on it if that!

What we need is a "How To" beginners guide on rebuilding an engine

The thing I'm trying to get my head round on the Race engine is the sizes of the Pistons to the Liners?
    What I mean by this is if you have to get a Block fitted with new liners then surely the Pistons will have to fit correctly, so would the company fitting the liners require the piston size or is it the other way around, you would not order pistons until after the new liners are fitted? Steve has the piston spec sheets.

I know there are Vendors here that do this stuff all day and I don't wish to take anything away from them, but with us being in the UK the shipping is a big issue to get work like this done and many UK Engine companies have never seen a Viper engine and after my personal experiences with so called Engine builders I don't exactly rate anyone in the UK! (There's a whole lot of Horse shit spoken here).

To be fair Mark , I sorced the stock original engine for that car and managed a good price but nothing happened.

Enthusiast
    Yes I know mate, sadly finances were not in place at the time!

Then another year down the line the UK Engine builders...Oh yes we can, er its taking us a little time to get parts etc stories started, so far the block has been to 3 different people!

As for the Original matching number engine you talk of, yes it would be a nice asset but Im still thinking you could get a cheaper one from the USA for short term use, then sell it and not loose any cash?

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the offer 99RT/10, I will let you know if there are any developments

Mark

Enthusiast
    I've had my supercharged engine apart a few times (porting the heads, replacing the rod bearings, installing oil pan trap door kit, new rings etc.) and recommend buying a good used engine, power hone of bore engine then instal forged pistons. Easy enough to do if you have the experience. Over 800hp and you'd also want to alignbore the mains and instal forged main caps with a set of high strength connecting rods.

Liners are not cheap and if you're not going to be installing Gen 4 or custom liners for high boost (like my 1500whp TT GTS) the stock liners are good enough.

I have a thread http://thevipergarage.com/index.php/topic,5372.0.html showing an "inframe" bearing and ring replacement engine job. There are a few other engine builds (several Twin Turbo engines) for you to read there to give you an idea of what is required.

Going through something similar. I sent mine back to Arrow for a rebuild.

And while I was in there....

Enthusiast
    Many thanks for the input Ted

Enthusiast
    Have to say looking at the in depth process RTTTTed performed on his own Engine I'm in ore!

Sadly I'm not that brave to tackle that work!

Mathematics are most defiantly not my strong point and attempting to read gauges and thou and degree wheels, would be my worst nightmare!

Oooooh 500th post!

If you are going to drop the money to rebuild the engine ship it to Arrow Racing Engines. I believe it isn't that unusual for them to get engines from across the pond.

Based on what you have experienced so far you will be farther ahead in spite of the extra money for shipping.
    Besides it might take awhile to sell a used engine if you go that route.

In the long run you will have less headaches and there is no question that they are capable of rebuilding the engine.
    Question really is - what needs done? vs what will you actually do while in there?

Why do I say the above?
    I was in a similar boat as you. My bottom end needed work. I thought real long about doing the rebuild myself being mechanically inclined. I had previously swapped the heads on my '97 and am generally able to master the skills needed for most technical tasks with good end results. That said, it was clear after educating myself with regard to the tasks required I simply didn't have the dedicated time available plus I was certain I did not want to practice new skills on the bottom end.

Like you I also considered just buying a used motor. They can sometimes be found for a reasonable cost. A lot of people have had good luck with used motors. The main reason I didn't go that route was I personally do not have a lot of luck when it comes to buying used stuff. While I do not care to much at least I can say I have a numbers matching car (even if the top end is not stock)

I also opted to have a GEN IV/V top end added "while in there"

Whichever path you take please keep us up to date on your progress.

Enthusiast
    Progress ......Arrrrrrgh, that's a laugh! Sadly I really cant see the car being on the road this year