Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Fly Zone

Enthusiast
    What is everyone doing for a "tow hook or suitable tow point"? Is what the Gen Vs have OK, or do I need to pick up the IPSCO front, back, or both setups?

http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT...Tow%20Hook.htm

http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT...Tow%20Hook.htm
    Last edited by AZMotorgod; 12-09-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Enthusiast
    Good point. I just sent them an email to see if they have any in stock...
    Last edited by drewsss; 12-09-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Let me know what you find out about tow hooks. I was thinking of coming but don’t have anything like that yet. I take it roll bar is not required? Thx

Enthusiast
    I just ordered from Mark today at IPSCO. Will have them by Wednesday and they are fairly easy to install.

No roll bar needed. And only a DOT helmet is needed (not Snell, as with most track events).

Thanks. You getting front and back? Both required?

Dan

Enthusiast
    Yes, getting both because they are sold as pairs. Plus, I can’t predict the direction of my future spin outs...lol.

Enthusiast
    Registered for Sunday. Gonna let my son experience Gila Bend and doing the 1/2 mile as a birthday gift. Just put on some new rear tires - so hopefully he'll be able to hook up a little better than I did when I did 161mph. I did read the tech download and I don't believe a tow hook is a requirement?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Registered for Sunday. Gonna let my son experience Gila Bend and doing the 1/2 mile as a birthday gift. Just put on some new rear tires - so hopefully he'll be able to hook up a little better than I did when I did 161mph. I did read the tech download and I don't believe a tow hook is a requirement?
    Looking forward to seeing you out there on Sunday. I was there for the last event and they do not mandate a tow hook.

Enthusiast
    Hey John - will miss you out there on Sunday. My twin brother and I are going out on Saturday for our birthday presents to ourselves too...lol.

Regarding tow hooks, I actually installed the two Ipsco hooks today. Not sure if it’s an absolute requirement but it was on the checklist. Have fun and be safe!

Enthusiast
    How did you guys do out there today?

Enthusiast
    Low 140's...not as good as I thought...the wing/aero definitely slowed everything down. Had a great time...weather was beautiful. Hope things dry out for you guys today!

Enthusiast
    First time ever at an event like this (1/2 mile, etc.) and had a blast.

Very timid on the first run (and missed the briefing), so I only ran a 109, but ended up doing better then I thought. I was able to get 29 runs in and ended up with a best of 157.89!

Car is totally stock, but I have a Belanger cat-back itching to go on. However, now that I have caught the bug, maybe headers and a tune are in order as well...?
    Last edited by AZMotorgod; 12-17-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMotorgod View Post
    I was able to get 29 runs in and ended up with a best of 157.89!
    The Dodge Demon that was there only hit 160. LOL. I guess 200 more hp can't make up for 40% more curb weight.
    Did anyone see what the McLaren 720s ran on Sunday?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drewsss View Post
    Low 140's...not as good as I thought...the wing/aero definitely slowed everything down. Had a great time...weather was beautiful. Hope things dry out for you guys today!
    Hey dude, nice car I came to check it out and you weren't there at the time.

Enthusiast
    Arizona Vipers-

Your GT is beautiful and sounded awesome, hope to see it out there again and glad everything worked out.

And their not very aerodynamic either, still I would like to have seen it run. Wonder if they were on 91 or tune/ race gas?

Enthusiast
    So it hasn't rained in the Phoenix area in about 130 days ...... but it did show up on Sunday. Delayed things about an hour and at times it would spit causing some concern - especially when doing 150+. Overcast skies meant a cold runway and challenging launches, cooler temps, and a pretty strong headwind had times down a little. Top speed for the day that I saw was 190mph by a Vette with plates that read "NOMODS" and a labeled hp of 1300.

People thought my son was crazy when he had the top down for the first few runs, not only because of the speed, but it was only about 60 degrees. And, yes, it's official .... my son is faster than me as he hit 161.5219mph ... so he's calling it 162mph and I only did 161mph about 2 years ago .

And a pic of Mike's Viper. (MPH in the background are not his.) Think his best was about 163.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMotorgod View Post
    Arizona Vipers-

Your GT is beautiful and sounded awesome, hope to see it out there again and glad everything worked out.

And their not very aerodynamic either, still I would like to have seen it run. Wonder if they were on 91 or tune/ race gas?
    Honestly that was my last time running the GT at No Fly Zone. Going into the dirt at 180mph and sliding for 1/4 mile scared the shit out of me, I'm lucky to be alive, and lucky the car wasn't destroyed. The good news is this has made me decide to cage my '13 soon.

They said they were running the 91 tune, but that seems weird to me if you are going to go all the way out there etc. I don't think 32 horsepower is going to do much at those speeds.
    I've seen the 720s hitting mid 170's at other events, that's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Honestly that was my last time running the GT at No Fly Zone. Going into the dirt at 180mph and sliding for 1/4 mile scared the shit out of me, I'm lucky to be alive, and lucky the car wasn't destroyed. The good news is this has made me decide to cage my '13 soon.

They said they were running the 91 tune, but that seems weird to me if you are going to go all the way out there etc. I don't think 32 horsepower is going to do much at those speeds.
    I've seen the 720s hitting mid 170's at other events, that's nuts.
    What the hell happened? Glad you are ok as well as the GT. I wanted to be there but had family obligations on Sat.

Enthusiast
    Was the Demon that was running with you guys Yellow? If so, it was probably my buddy Craig. I was curious as to how it did, but I hadn't asked yet.

Arizona Vipers, that sound like a wild ride! Glad you're okay though!

Enthusiast
    So it hasn't rained in the Phoenix area in about 130 days ...... but it did show up on Sunday. Delayed things about an hour and at times it would spit causing some concern - especially when doing 150+. Overcast skies meant a cold runway and challenging launches, cooler temps, and a pretty strong headwind had times down a little. Top speed for the day that I saw was 190mph by a Vette with plates that read "NOMODS" and a labeled hp of 1300.

People thought my son was crazy when he had the top down for the first few runs, not only because of the speed, but it was only about 60 degrees. And, yes, it's official .... my son is faster than me as he hit 161.5219mph ... so he's calling it 162mph and I only did 161mph about 2 years ago .
    John - it was great to meet you and your son out there last weekend (as well as your daughter in-law, who was awesome!). Your son really figured that car out and can drive! Your car looked and sounded great out there, especially when the top was down!

Outside of the rain and the cold weather it was a great event. I ran my car multiple times and it was pretty consistent. I was only able to run a best of 161.9870 this time out (last time the car went 162.10 in much hotter weather). I am pretty sure there is nothing left to gain as the car stands, as it ran between 159-162 all day long. I tried to line up with the Demon but he shunned me for a race with a Hellcat (the fastest we saw the Demon run on Sunday was 157.xx). I was able to race and beat a few C7 Z06's as well as a couple of new ZL1's. Had my head handed to me by a McClaren and a built Hellcat Charger that was on slicks. Overall it was well worth the price of admission!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasar Z View Post
    John - it was great to meet you and your son out there last weekend (as well as your daughter in-law, who was awesome!). Your son really figured that car out and can drive! Your car looked and sounded great out there, especially when the top was down!

Outside of the rain and the cold weather it was a great event. I ran my car multiple times and it was pretty consistent. I was only able to run a best of 161.9870 this time out (last time the car went 162.10 in much hotter weather). I am pretty sure there is nothing left to gain as the car stands, as it ran between 159-162 all day long. I tried to line up with the Demon but he shunned me for a race with a Hellcat (the fastest we saw the Demon run on Sunday was 157.xx). I was able to race and beat a few C7 Z06's as well as a couple of new ZL1's. Had my head handed to me by a McClaren and a built Hellcat Charger that was on slicks. Overall it was well worth the price of admission!
    Was the McLaren the 720s that was supposed to be there? What did it run? Should be low 170's bone stock that's nuts.

Enthusiast
    The 720S was not there on Sunday. The 570S that was there still had paper tags. Once he figured the car out it ran 167. I didn't stand a chance against him. Heads and cam would close the gap, but that 570S got out of the hole and pulled away the whole time.

I have raced and destroyed an MP4-12C but the new McClaren's are on a whole new level.
    Last edited by Quasar Z; 12-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasar Z View Post
    The 720S was not there on Sunday. The 570S that was there still had paper t.ags. Once he figured the car out it ran 167. I didn't stand a chance against him. Heads and cam would close the gap, but that 570S got out of the hole and pulled away the whole time.

I have raced and destroyed an MP4-12C but the new McClaren's on on a whole new level.
    So the 720s was a no show, he wasn't there Saturday either. If the 570 hit 167, the 720s would have been closer to 180, WOW. Faster than my 820whp GT

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    So the 720s was a no show, he wasn't there Saturday either. If the 570 hit 167, the 720s would have been closer to 180, WOW. Faster than my 820whp GT
    I'm sure you would have gone faster than 180, since you went 178 on your first/only pass, cold track, tires, massive burnout etc.. Most cars went significantly faster on their 2nd pass when starting early in the morning.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs1 View Post
    I'm sure you would have gone faster than 180, since you went 178 on your first/only pass, cold track, tires, massive burnout etc.. Most cars went significantly faster on their 2nd pass when starting early in the morning.
    Yeah was shooting for 185. I went 179 with 50 less hp without drag radials.

Enthusiast
    Is anyone headed to Gila Bend next weekend for the December 15-16 No Fly Zone? I will be out there on Sunday to see what my car is capable of now that it has the A&C Performance heads/cam package. Hoping to see some other Vipers out there as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast