Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Marines are a different breed that I'm glad exists, thanks.
    Hard working people seems to be a rare breed as well. It also seems that all the "kids" out there think that if you can't do something with an app, it's can't be done. Thanks for reminding us that the impossible is possible viperguy69!

Enthusiast
    Got mostly all the welding done to the frame and gave it a quick shot of paint... now I need to silicone over the beads to ensure no exhaust can get into the car. There are a few sloppy welds in there but they will get cleaned up with the grinder to ensure the bond is metal to metal by applying a little taping on the metal (there is a distinct noise for good bonds vs loose bonds) or brute force to test higher stress and high impact areas... don't want my welds to crack!

The overall look after welding in the watershed
    IMG_4311.jpg

The closeup
    IMG_4313.jpg

The door frame initial welds
    IMG_4316.jpg

Now I have to get the final trimming of the lower watershed, get it formed, and get it welded in... that will be time consuming... most of this weeks project.
    Last edited by viperguy69; 07-11-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Enthusiast
    Tonight was all about rear rivet nuts and getting the roll bar installed after welding in the rear watershed... as for the rivet nuts, 18 holes drilled and riveted... done! Tomorrow it looks like I have about a dozen to install in the front for the inner fenders to bolt to the frame and then I am done with that adventure!

IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg

Also, after being off with the rear fame support, I decided to re-measured the rear frame rails to see where I went wrong... the rear frame rails look to be about 1/2" - 3/4" longer in the Gen III/IV chassis as opposed to the Gen V frame rails. So, some of the rivet nut mounts were adjusted but I am leaving the rear bumper mounting brackets "as is" and if it just does not fit when I try to install the rear bumper then, and only then, I will cut the rear bumper mounts off and re-weld them back on at the right length. However, I think that just leaving them as is will be within tolerance for mounting the rear bumper... fingers and toes crossed!
    Last edited by viperguy69; 07-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    Probably be easier to just built a tube chassis for the G5 parts
    I'll say it again. Think of the weight savings. Custom trans mounts. Proper exhaust system.... tried to think of more places to improve the Viper but I couldn't think of any... haha

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    I'll say it again. Think of the weight savings. Custom trans mounts. Proper exhaust system.... tried to think of more places to improve the Viper but I couldn't think of any... haha
    I know my limitations... I think that would be beyond my current capabilities... maybe one or two more builds after this one will I have enough self confidence, motivation, vigor, and drive to build my own tube chassis... and then I will need to find either a good way to bond carbon fiber hex tubing or take up titanium welding to really build a world class high speed low drag frame that weights near nothing...

Enthusiast
    The rear deck is in... it has been sealed... and I have began to reassemble... interesting fact, the gas tank mounting bracket is reversed in the Gen V as opposed to the Gen IV, wonder why? So, I left the mounting hardware in place and will just flip the bracket upside down to mount the gas tank!

IMG_4371.jpg
    Final welding done

IMG_4364.jpg
    rear welding for the corner and the seam

IMG_4376.jpg
    applied auto seam sealer... was supposed to be black... great quality control... well, you can paint right over it according to the directions on the calking tubes. So, I will!

IMG_4378.jpg
    Started hanging the suspension... had a little extra piece of metal from the old frame so I reinforced the new frame... can you tell in this last picture?

Tomorrow I plan to get the back end installed, electrical installed, gas tank, speakers, and hopefully the soundproof and heat barrier material arrives so I can finish the cab and install the dash...
    Last edited by viperguy69; 07-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Enthusiast
    Roof is almost done as well... maybe next weekend for installation.... making progress... hopefully in a few weeks I can start it up... but I need a new radiator as my other one is cracked on the plastic mount into the radiator... that sucks, there goes another $600...

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

Really looking forward to the completion of this project (I am sure not nearly as much as you), but I look forward to the build pics along the way as well. Great job so far!

Enthusiast
    So cool.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1of1TA1.0 View Post
    Really looking forward to the completion of this project (I am sure not nearly as much as you), but I look forward to the build pics along the way as well. Great job so far!
    You bet... trying, trying, trying... 2017 will be the year!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPete View Post
    So cool.
    Thanks... motivate me!

So today was hotter than Hades ... humidify was through the roof... I think I lost ten pounds!

So, today I had to weld a few more grounding lugs and other studs to allow the electrical to get mounted under the tub. I also installed the gas tank and rear tub. I was able to pull the electrical as well as the gas lines and brake lines under the tub which was like a rubic's cube to try to figure out how it all gets mounted. Glad I took lots of pictures during disassembly and had good backup photos from multiple visits to CAAP... it all finally went together... now I can start mounting all the internals.

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

Enthusiast
    Incredible work. I believe you know more about the Viper now than anyone.

Keep em coming....Cant wait for the completion of this project.

Enthusiast
    Incredible work! I have no idea how you are able to do this project without having an actual gen V frame next to you.

Enthusiast
    So tonight was all about seats... lost a good nights sleep last night going over my options. So, tonight I wanted to just get it done and put that part of the project behind me!

My options were as follows:

1) Keep the Gen IV configuration and buy new Gen IV seat brackets - - Seems like a costly gamble and I would have to find them and wait for them to arrive and if the seats were not compatible then I just wasted $400-$600 that I need for a new radiator or windshield.

2) Keep the Gen IV configuration and cut the Gen V brackets - Seems like a costly gamble and If I screw up then I would have to buy another set... in the realm of not very practical, could result in alot of time wasted and then the seats would only be compatible for Gen IV Vipers if I every decided to go with the other seats I have...

3) Keep the Gen IV configuration and put 1" spacers on the front-side of the seats - The seat mounts are already 1.5" more forward in the GEN IV frame and when tested the forward position was not practical for comfort; knees hitting the bend in the chassis.

4) Cut the old rear bracket bolts from the Gen IV and mount new bolts 1" further back to accommodate the seats properly without any cost other then time... seemed like the best option for me!

IMG_4420.jpg
    Seat with spacer... not practical!

IMG_4423.jpg
    Seat mounting bolts moved 1" to the rear... most practical!

IMG_4426.jpg
    Seat mounting bolts moved 1" to the rear with plenty of room to move seat to the rear... again, more practical!

Tomorrow's project will be sound deadening and heat shielding!

Enthusiast
    This is just on another level!

Enthusiast
    Incredible!! This is taking building your own car to a whole new level!!

Enthusiast
    I'm Hooked, almost like the TV show "How its made" Thank you for posting your progress.

Enthusiast
    Progress on the car tonight... installed 90% of the sound and heat deadening butyl foil. Need to finish up the sidewalls but I have a few thing to get worked out.
    IMG_4439.jpg
    Sound deadening material installed ... 80mil for most of the interior and 50mil where you see red labels. If I did it again I think I would have just gone with all 80mil as it feels much more stable to work with and takes edges and hard turns well... well, that part of the project is almost done.

IMG_4441.jpg
    Starting the to fit interior to ensure all the welds align and I have no surprises after I put the dash back on in a few days.... no matter how many pictures you take it is always better to label all the bolts... I have now wasted hours trying to figure out type, size, color, and sometime direction the bolts are to go in... now where the heck did I store my carpet? I have too many parts scattered between the garage and basement...
    Last edited by viperguy69; 07-27-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Enthusiast
    Put the Dash in tonight... all but two bolt holes of the frame aligned with the screws holes of the cowl... not sure why they did this minor modification on one of the screw holes, but the other may be as a result of a slightly different cowl design on the passenger side of the vehicle.

IMG_4447.jpg
    front of dash mounted

IMG_4448.jpg
    backside of dash mounted

IMG_4449.jpg
    bolt hole 1 that does not align

IMG_4450.jpg
    bolt hole 2 that does not align

I will spend the rest of the week and weekend getting the electrical system up and running, before I install the motor... will hope to get the roof and rear end on the car by this weekend.
    Last edited by viperguy69; 07-27-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Sweet. I can almost picture the interior completed...Great work....Keep em coming....

Enthusiast
    Now that its all apart, how strong does that rear in roof roll bar seem? And are the ends open to see the thickness?

Awesome work, and that interior install sure seems a lot easier with the rest of the car missing!!!

Enthusiast
    Tonight was more interior trim work alignment and cross brace fitment and alignment. A little issue with cross brace initially, looked to be either my bracket support weld was off or the cowl was not perfectly squared up to the frame. a little bit of pushing and pulling and everything seems to fit right. Everything looks square and level! The VA weather is making it miserable to work on the car, even a little bit of effort results in sweat and misery! More tomorrow, maybe a little more tonight after I cool off.

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

Has anyone mentioned how cool this is?

Dude you should be documenting this via video. This is how Graveyard cars the TV show was picked up.

Amazing work. I could just sit back and watch every detail of your progress!

Seeing that anodized carbon interior makes me miss my car which has been at the dealer for three weeks now. ughhhhhh

Enthusiast
    Man you are freakin' badass (a little crazy too hehe) I (and I'm sure everyone else on here) wish we had your skills! Keep it up!! Wow!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast