Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Is this a Gen V? If so isn't the mph to mph just a selection in the menu system?
    Nope... thought the same thing at first and could not get the speedo on the left to convert... then I noticed that the speedo on the left is an analog illuminated display that looks digital. So, for those vehicles shipped to Canada or Outside the U.S. those displays are installed. The center MPH on the actual LCD can be set to KPH or MPH.

Enthusiast
    Ok. Interesting. You can have the speed at the bottom right of the tach in kph or mph. I have mine as it is much easier to read than the actual speedo. With that I think I would just leave the speedo be in kph and ignore it as I do now.

Enthusiast
    I bought a new U.S. instrument cluster for $150... the KPH may seem to be easy to ignore but it was driving me crazy, so I decided for the the few bucks I would try..

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver View Post
    Seriously?? What's your time worth... just get the genV frame...
    Frame is $10K... I tried to do that about a year ago but could not order one because it had an indefinite order ship date from FCA and TASCA cancelled my order, my local dealership wanted $13K but every time they punched the order it would not let them process it... So, I decided to use my Gen III/IV frame which I was originally going to sell for the Gen V frame... Now I am having troubles trying to buy a few parts that are in the same category... currently, the driver's side inner front fender is a problem to order.
    Last edited by viperguy69; 05-28-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by viperguy69 View Post
    ...my "plan Xit" as the ultimate solution, done it before!

Attachment 25829
    Blow it up?

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by viperguy69 View Post
    Don't get me wrong...good for you. I'm envious.

Enthusiast
    IMG_3967.jpg

The Gen V Prototype six vented hood #2 (serial 0002) is going for paint tomorrow... hope I don't screw it up!

These vents were attached by a small wire so the engineers could see what the hood would look like with the vents installed..

IMG_3965.jpg

Enthusiast
    IMG_3977.jpgIMG_3975.jpgIMG_3976.jpg

First one welded and grinded... looks level based on frame and then the bubble to match with "x" brace installed... now to weld the driver's side into place...
    Last edited by viperguy69; 05-30-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Enthusiast
    This whole thread is EPIC!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTViperSD View Post
    This whole thread is EPIC!
    I feel like I'm wasting my life reading it on a screen instead of doing something similar. Here's a good one as well...crazy guy converts brand new GT3RS to manual: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...but-i-did.html

Enthusiast
    Well i have to admit. At first i was a little skeptical. Now though... this is awesome!
    Great work man. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Enthusiast
    This week I only had a few hours to weld and gride... I never liked the pillars with the gaping holes... I am sure it was done to allow for expansion or to absorb shock but I went ahead and filled them anyway... if the joints crack I will cross that bridge when I need to... for now I think it looks better and all I need to do is apply a little more weld to one side and a little bit of filler to the other side.
    IMG_3983.jpgIMG_3984.jpg

Enthusiast
    Nice work , looking forward to seeing your finished project .

Can't wait to see this thing when its done!

Enthusiast
    Sorting day...this is not an obsession for me... it's a full on addiction... going with black so need to move the yellow and white to the basement... need to take the top to paint... going carbon fiber orange interior... this is just a majority of the exterior parts... still have lots of parts in boxes as well as two sets of seats and a dozen exhausts... etc...

I don't think I will have the same issues I had about a year ago, could not find the parts... I found them... and now, after 26 years in the Marine Corps understand why they said I would be a good fit for supply... I thought they were crazy... maybe they were on to something!IMG_3988.jpgIMG_3991.jpg
    Last edited by viperguy69; 06-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Enthusiast
    Well, almost have the shell cut out from the Gen V to be surgically inserted into the Gen III/IV chassis. As big a pain as this has been it will ensure all the interior components fit properly and the parking brake and seat-belts are in the proper positions... I am sure there is a better way to do this but I am really trying not to cut up the new frame.

IMG_4032.jpgIMG_4029.jpg

Enthusiast
    Man, you are one ambitious Viper guy!

Enthusiast
    LOL... I just want back into my Viper... Panels painted for install.. Gone around and around on going original which this car was a Carbon Edition... those panels have been put to the side and going solid black for now..

IMG_4015.jpgIMG_4016.jpgIMG_4017.jpg

Enthusiast
    Who is doing your paint work?

Atleast we know why the carbon crashed, Nitto invos

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    Who is doing your paint work?
    It is being done by a local guy who used to paint at a local collision shop... he is on his own now, does quality work, and the price was great for my budget and goal of keeping this build under $40K. Not including the extras parts I have accumulated; those parts consumed my reserve pool of funding.

I am on a retirement track from the military and want to leave as debt free as possible which means I would only owe on my house... I would love to have PREFIX do it but then I would have to go in over my head on this car, not in the plan.

Once I grow up and find a real job maybe then I will be able to afford better big boy toys... get that paint job from PREFIX, that was a very impressive process they had at their facilities.
    Last edited by viperguy69; 06-08-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    Atleast we know why the carbon crashed, Nitto invos
    LOL... no they were P-Zero... three of the rims were very damaged and the rims would not hold air so I used my old rims off my 2005 Viper I still had laying around to get the car on the trailer and put into the Garage... I just sold that set about a month ago.

Enthusiast
    Wow man this is one ambitious build! Good on you for resurrecting a Viper like this. I'm lookin forward to seeing it when she's all back together.

Enthusiast
    I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm military also and I would love to do a project like this but I seem to move every 2-3 years. I just cant justify doing something this involved with the constant threat of another move. I have a little longer to retirement than you do (9 years), but once I grow up as well, I'd love to do a project like your doing.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast