Thread: x Canada Trip

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

x Canada Trip

Hello People. Im planning a cross Canada trip this June with my gf: Toronto Edmonton returning to Toronto. I have done the road a few times before, but never in a Viper. I did Ontario>New Brunswick and back a couple of years ago in my viper tho. All i remember from my previous experience is that the high octane gasoline wasnt radially available on my route out to west especially at night. And i know that the car burns a lot of it... Has anyone done this journey? or has pointers on where to fuel up and stop? Im looking for the fastest road run to there through northern Ontario and rest of Canada. Also, if anyone knows how much money the gas will cost? I had never really payed any attention to fuel consumption, but I would like to get a ball park figure if i could. I am rather a hard driver and would like to know if there is any sense to drive "nice" to get any significant fuel economy. Im intending on running with my Gen 3 car

I appreciate any input

Enthusiast
    You'll find 91-94 all the way.
    PetroCanada and Husky

Enthusiast
    That's gonna be an awesome drive! Not sure on the Gen3, but I found my Gen2 likes Shell 91 the best. I have averaged as good as 10L per100km driving like a good boy on the highway.
    When in June are you heading out this way? If its early enough you might catch the Oilers in the Stanley cup Final
    Should try hook up with some of the local Edmonton guys while you're out here.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianACR View Post
    That's gonna be an awesome drive! Not sure on the Gen3, but I found my Gen2 likes Shell 91 the best. I have averaged as good as 10L per100km driving like a good boy on the highway.
    When in June are you heading out this way? If its early enough you might catch the Oilers in the Stanley cup Final
    finally made to Edmonton. What an awesome drive! I would love to meet with some of local club members I heard they is a road course right in the city too...

Enthusiast
    Make sure you wave as you fly by the small number of Vipers in Manitoba!

If you're looking for a unique journey, I recommend heading South from Manitoba/Western Ontario and across the border, through cabin country and across the Mackinaw Bridge and crossing back into Canada at Sarnia. I did this trip years ago in the winter, in the boss's new AWD Audi. Very pretty drive!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianACR View Post
    Im thinking to be in Edmonton by the June 13th, that would be cool to meet few Viper enthusiasts from there

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Snake View Post
    Make sure you wave as you fly by the small number of Vipers in Manitoba!

If you're looking for a unique journey, I recommend heading South from Manitoba/Western Ontario and across the border, through cabin country and across the Mackinaw Bridge and crossing back into Canada at Sarnia. I did this trip years ago in the winter, in the boss's new AWD Audi. Very pretty drive!
    yhank you , i might consider that... As for the wave while flying by, I can do that . what are the traffic laws out there? here in ontario if you get busted doing 50km/h over posted limit, you get car impounded on the spot and charged... :/

Enthusiast
    yhank you , i might consider that... As for the wave while flying by, I can do that . what are the traffic laws out there? here in ontario if you get busted doing 50km/h over posted limit, you get car impounded on the spot and charged... :/[/QUOTE]

That's a good question. Luckily I haven't been hit that fast, but I believe it's a 48 hr impound and a fine. I usually only get caught around 20 or 30 over at least once a year. But if you come into the city to say hello, heads up for photo radar, those buggers are everywhere!

Dason

I picked up my Viper from Toronto in May of last year and drove it back to Saskatchewan. Stayed in Canada and followed Hwy 17 through Ontario. What a blast of a drive. Lots of curves and scenery. I did not find any problems finding gas or accommodations along the way. I rented a cabin in Wawa the first night so I could have private parking for my Viper away from the general public. As I recall allot of the route on Hwy 17 was posted at 90 km/hr and as I was breaking in / getting used to my new car I did not push it. That and there was a unmarked police car running radar at every town I got to. Once I got to Manitoba and hit Hwy # 16 speed limit was posted a little higher at 100 km/hr but you got a twin lane Hwy. In Saskatchewan and Alberta Hwy 16 is posted at 110 km/hr so you can bump it up a little higher there. I recommend in Saskatchewan you stay on Hwy #16. We have some good secondary roads but most are beaten by weather and traffic. In total from Toronto to home was just over 3000 km and I had so much fun I wish it was another 3000 km. From here Edmonton is another 900 km or so. Again no issues with gas along the way. Just beware Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta have very active Traffic enforcement units / Sheriffs. Hope this helps..

Enthusiast
    IMG_1650.jpgIMG_1650.jpg
    Glad I didn't hit any of those guys, although some paint has been damaged due to bugs... so if you are preserving your car for the next guy, this drive is not for you

Enthusiast
    This is kinda long, but the road was long also, so, you can read it or skip the blah blah blah, and move on to the more exciting part where the pictures are at.
    Completed the journey, It was an amazing drive through the country. Toronto - Winnipeg-Edmonton - Jasper-Banff- Regina-Toronto. It was awesome to meet a few members on the way, Brian from Edmonton, Keith from Regina and Omar from Winnipeg. Some of you know that i have been having some issues with the ps hydraulics and its components. The car held up nicely aside from a small issue when I was 2200 miles away from Toronto one of newly installed lines sprung a leak from the quick connect fitting. Great thanks to Wayne Morrison and his team from Acceleration Auto & Performance who was able to quickly find a solution. 2700 miles later the system is holding up. As for the comfort, my gf and I were pleasantly surprised. No pains or aches even when putting 600 miles/day. Experienced a low speed collision where the car got lucky. Some guy on a 3 wheel Harley Davidson motorcycle after fueling up got its steering locked full left after leaving the pump, and ended up hitting my rear rim in the center . Luckily the car didnt suffer big damage, just minor scuff on the rim. Im so glad it wasnt any of the body panels that were hit. Also, if you worry about stone chips or damage caused by bugs, this kind of adventure might not be for you.
    At over 68,000 miles now this car is still a road warrior. Would I do it again? Im not feeling it right now, but I wont exclude the possibility. However, I am planning on taking my rocket out to Halifax this September for a friends wedding.

Here some pics:
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Enthusiast
    Here is some more pics. It was fun to find some snow coming down mid June. Cant really see it, but it was there, I swear

6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.JPG11.jpg

Enthusiast
    Cool read ! One day I hope to have the time to drive across Canada as well .. Actually 4 years ago I bought a ZR1 from Alberta and drove it to Toronto, planned to go through Canada but the weather turned and snow storm in April forced me to go through the USA which was a great memorable trip.

Looks like you had fun, adds to my dream of cruising through Canada.