Enthusiast

Difference between a US and Canadian car 1994 Dodge Viper

Hi guys,

Besides DRL and metric speedometer, is there anything else I should consider before buying an American Viper? What about the gauge temperatures, are they in C or F?

Thanks!

Enthusiast
    Gauges are Fahrenheit ( for US cars ). Biggest issue is to find out if all the little things that often should be done on a 1994 have been accomplished. First off is the head gasket replacement , but there can be a lot of other things to view , many due to age. Upon lifting the hood , look down on the side sills covering the exhaust, and if you see what appears to be paint bubbling it is actually electrolysis from two dissimilar metals. The bubbling can be very severe, and these exhaust coverings are aluminum, so if they have corroded bad enough you are looking at a high price to replace. Fuel pumps are becoming virtually impossible to get so a really good check of how it is running is important. But , if possible, depending on where it is , a really thorough check by a very qualified Viper Tech , could be your best bet.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 04-06-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Enthusiast
    Wow, I'm pretty surprised by what you are saying concerning the paint bubbling on side sills! I was just about to buy a Viper here and there was like two signs of "burns", each about 3 inches x 3 inches big. I was wondering what could have happened there. I even asked some "plastic welding shops" locally if they could fix it.

The gauges for an American are in Fahrenheit. What about for the Canadian ones?

Enthusiast
    Good question on the Canadian ones. The paint bubbling issue , is as I mentioned not actually a paint issue, but metal fatigue.

I sent you a PM , as I will be leaving the office for an appt. in just a few minutes.

Enthusiast

Difference between a US and Canadian car 1994 Dodge Viper

My 01 GTS has a Celcius temperature gauge.

Enthusiast
    The US Viper have the seat belt in the door, the Canadian Viper have the seat belt in the center console.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Gauges are Fahrenheit. Biggest issue is to find out if all the little things that often should be done on a 1994 have been accomplished. First off is the head gasket replacement , but there can be a lot of other things to view , many due to age. Upon lifting the hood , look down on the side sills covering the exhaust, and if you see what appears to be paint bubbling it is actually electrolysis from two dissimilar metals. The bubbling can be very severe, and these exhaust coverings are aluminum, so if they have corroded bad enough you are looking at a high price to replace. Fuel pumps are becoming virtually impossible to get so a really good check of how it is running is important. But , if possible, depending on where it is , a really thorough check by a very qualified Viper Tech , could be your best bet.
    I had a spot of bubbling on one of my 96's and i just took it to an aluminum shop and they filled it in welded,sanded and its like new. Nothing to worry about if you go to the right place. Easy fix.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAP View Post
    The US Viper have the seat belt in the door, the Canadian Viper have the seat belt in the center console.
    Gen 2 GTS cars the seatbelts are "opposite" in that they originate from the right shoulder for the driver and left shoulder for the passenger. I like it. Aside from being a cool touch you don't see on other cars, I think it may have saved my life in my wreck.

I've heard that seatbelt in the door caused issues for importing but that was a while ago. A 94 may be old enough now that it is exempt. Double check your regulations to be sure.

Enthusiast
    Slither,

Your are right that it can be corrected if minor , but many places are not adept at working with aluminum, and this concern should never be viewed as nothing to worry about, imho. We have seen a bunch of cases where the repair is virtually impossible or quite expensive. Often folks had to replace entire sides and now that is even more worrisome , as they can run in the thousands per side if they are needed ( and they are getting quite difficult to even find).
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 04-06-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Enthusiast
    Bring up the qualifications from the government, Being that the car does not have a airbag you may not be able to bring across. I know it sounds stupid as the Canadian cars never had them either but I know there is some import qualifications have to be met with the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRCieLaGo View Post
    Hi guys,

Besides DRL and metric speedometer, is there anything else I should consider before buying an American Viper? What about the gauge temperatures, are they in C or F?

Thanks!

Enthusiast
    Wow, SuperSnake really hit on something I had forgotten. You do need to check as there could be some Gov. Regulations based on the year of the vehicle and that could seriously affect the purchase. Great post , SS, and you may have saved him some major aggravation if some of the age rules still hold?

Enthusiast
    If you're importing the website below will be of assistance.

www.riv.ca

If you are purchasing a previously imported car, the car should have a sticker installed in the drivers door jam. That (at least at one time) was mandatory.
    Last edited by parabs; 04-06-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Enthusiast
    So www.riv.ca states a vehicle over 15 years old is admissible within the Canadian guidelines. Parabs sure has helped you out , as regulations change so much in every Country , over the years , so kudos for him posting this info for you, as it answers a lot of questions for all of us.

Enthusiast
    Yea Bill, Back in the day I wanted to bring in a Gen 1 and at that time the car was not 15 years old. I know at that time keeping the car out was no air bag and the seat/shoulder belt in the door was an issue and the car could not cross the border. I guess over time they loosen up on the older cars. Also Murcielago, if you do bring the car across all recalls have to be done if there is any and all paperwork has to be sent to your port of entry 72 Working hours before the car comes across. And they don't count weekends as working hours. Other than that it is a painless process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Wow, SuperSnake really hit on something I had forgotten. You do need to check as there could be some Gov. Regulations based on the year of the vehicle and that could seriously affect the purchase. Great post , SS, and you may have saved him some major aggravation if some of the age rules still hold?

Enthusiast
    Reviving an old thread,

but I am looking at a Canadian Viper thats made its way down to Houston. I need to know the the odometer/speedometer would have been on KM/KPH on a Canadian car. This car is in MPH and because of that I don't think I can trust the mileage reported.

Enthusiast
    My Canadian Viper has the odometer in KMs, speedometer in KM/H, water temperature in Celsius, oil pressure in bars.

It is all metric.