Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    Snorman (Viper Alley member) ran the 11.6 bone stock. He was also surprised by the outcome. The same night that this 11.4 tuned C7 ran, there was another one that went 11.8s without a tune. Keep in mind, these are automatic trans cars. They launch very well, compared to manual cars. Cutting 1.7X short times on stock tires is amazing.
    From what I hear the Corvette is very easy to put a tune on it so I'm not sold on 11.6's even though I'm sure the conditions were quite favorable.

1320 video picked up your public photobucket link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Enthusiast
    Funny comments on that Facebook post. Especially the clowns that think Vipers are only good in straight lines. Likely Camry owners.

Enthusiast
    Saw Doug at ECS got a stock M6 car to go 11.9@119. Pretty consistent 117-119 mph cars. Meh.

In all fairness to the stock clutch, it works excellent on the roadcourse and on the street. I was on drag radials for this visit, and the track was well-prepped. The OEM clutch couldn't hold due to the extra grip of the tires on this track. Factory tires would have spun before the clutch would have slipped.
    Nine....a question....when you ran the GenV did you have the traction control ON? I noticed on my Viper and my ZL-1 that if i left the traction control on, the clutch would slip as part of the traction control trying to do all it could to keep the wheels from spinning.....it was especially prevalent in the Camaro as I had upped the power about 200HP which freaked out the TCS. Every launch would start great then go into a power loss and extreme bog that lasted seemingly forever then would pick back up (only seconds though) and i could then smell clutch disc odors. After I figured out how to completely turn off the Camaro's TCS it made a tremendous difference and no longer did I get any clutch slippage and smell.

Thanks,

Tom

MY BAD.....SORRY I MISSED YOUR DETAILS WHERE YOU STATED ECS AND TRACTION CONTROL OFF....Blows my theory all to hell..at least for the Viper. Was certainly true for the Camaro though. Suddenly I'm thinking slightly previously enjoyed Mclaren MP-4-12C....lol
    Last edited by Tom Welch; 11-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Might not want to cross paths with this!!!!

Took our Heads/Cam package to the track today. We ended up running a 10.6 naturally aspirated and then turned on a 150shot of Nitrous and went a 9.9. Enjoy!

L M R S P E C I A L I T Y V E H I C L E S

Enthusiast
    I saw that yesterday, C7 running 9's, crazy

Yea, 9.999 with headers, no cats, new heads, cam, torque converter, 150 shot & 1.40 60ft with drag radials.

The Gen IV/V engines with headers/exhaust and PCM will trap the same MPH as that C7

Yes but now they have (supercharged) $11k installed 650hp (twin turbo) $21k installed 800hp and two more twin turbo packages. So for $89k I can have a 800hp twin turbo C7 Z51. Wow!!!!! SRT Wake up before it to late!!!!!

Enthusiast
    That 9 second car is the exact same car that ran above in my post, that went 11.4 with just a tune. They did all those mods in a week, after that track visit.

My '06 coupe has it covered

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba52 View Post
    Yes but now they have (supercharged) $11k installed 650hp (twin turbo) $21k installed 800hp and two more twin turbo packages. So for $89k I can have a 800hp twin turbo C7 Z51. Wow!!!!! SRT Wake up before it to late!!!!!
    For 20k I can have a 800+ hp foxbody mustang
    At the end of the day its a mustang. If someone puts 11k or 21k into a Gen V they will beat that 9.999 sec C7. No one has stepped up to the plate.

Well not entirely true.. RSI will build you a 1000+ HP Gen V for 45k or a 1500hp Gen V for 90k.
    http://www.racingsolutions.com/pages...iper-2013.html

I posted this elsewhere, figured I'd share here too.

403 whp stock, 470 whp heads/cam, 503 whp heads, cam, headers, no cats, 668 whp heads, cam, headers, no cats, torque converter 150 shot.

I said I wasn't going to add it up... but...

Heads/cam package is $3600 + S/H
    C7 Heads/Cam Parts Package:
    LMR Proprietary CNC ported Cylinder Heads
    LMR Custom Grind Camshaft with VVT/AFM
    Chromoly Pushrods
    LMR custom phaser limiting kit
    Head Bolts
    Head Gaskets
    Water Pump Gaskets
    Front Cover Seal
    Crank Bolt

Kooks headers without cats $1750 or $2450 with
    305/35/19 Mickey Thompson slicks on stock wheels $750

So right there you are at $6100 + 150 shot + torque converter & labor if you pay to have it done. You are well over $7,000 on this package.

Enthusiast
    There is no doubt it costs money to go fast, the killer is that the Vette can do it. If somebody doesn't step up with a way to tune these things, you will start to find more of them at car shows than race tracks. How is it that people will spend $15,000 on a paint job but not one person that I can think of has $10,000 for a stand alone?

Enthusiast
    You can tune the Gen V. The issue is it just costs more money. The C7 simply benefits from the fact that Chevrolet will build as many C7's this year as Vipers that have been built since 1992.

Enthusiast
    You seem sort of confused:

1. There have always been more vipers at car shows than the track. As a percentage the vette is probably worse.

2. The G5 has been in the hands of the owners for 90-120 days, give it a break, it took 12 years to give the G2 SCT.

3. The cost of a stand-alone is not the issue, there are a whole bunch of negatives that come along with it. The negative side of the ledger is going to far out weigh the positive.

4. If you just want to go fast in a straight line merely buy a TT Gen 2, why F..k up a new G5.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There is no doubt it costs money to go fast, the killer is that the Vette can do it. If somebody doesn't step up with a way to tune these things, you will start to find more of them at car shows than race tracks. How is it that people will spend $15,000 on a paint job but not one person that I can think of has $10,000 for a stand alone?

Enthusiast
    Show me a stand alone tuning setup that retains the full body control module functions, all working digital gauges, and all working systems. Let's also throw in the OBD2 compliance tests so that we can pass state inspection.

It doesn't exist.

The C7 custom tuning by HP Tuners keeps all of that, and more.

Enthusiast
    Confused, maybe; leaning definitely.

I guess this is more pointed at the Gen4 version of the 8.4, which is thought the Gen5 was a very similar design with a little massaging. I guess the interior electronics make it more a different animal. I honestly thought a stand alone could be set up to handle the engines dynamics and leave the rest to the factory ECM, I stand corrected. As far as the timeline goes, this particular engine in one form or another has been around for 5 years or so, maybe it is too soon for a tuner.

This isn't a bash, I really do want this to come to fruition. And to answer the last question with a question, isn't this thread about these cars at a drag strip?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    You seem sort of confused:

1. There have always been more vipers at car shows than the track. As a percentage the vette is probably worse.

2. The G5 has been in the hands of the owners for 90-120 days, give it a break, it took 12 years to give the G2 SCT.

3. The cost of a stand-alone is not the issue, there are a whole bunch of negatives that come along with it. The negative side of the ledger is going to far out weigh the positive.

4. If you just want to go fast in a straight line merely buy a TT Gen 2, why F..k up a new G5.
    Maybe I come across more argumentative than I mean to, I'll shut up, carry on.
    Last edited by Troublemaker; 11-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Enthusiast
    Show me a stand alone tuning setup that retains the full body control module functions, all working digital gauges, and all working systems. Let's also throw in the OBD2 compliance tests so that we can pass state inspection.

It doesn't exist.

The C7 custom tuning by HP Tuners keeps all of that, and more.
    True enough. I am with you 100% on SRT not giving a hand to the aftermarket as it should.

Enthusiast
    The problem is that with a stand-alone you are going to lose a lot of what makes the car such a road course performer. The bus system on all the new cars make them difficult to remove the factory pcm. Try naming the cars that can beat a stock G5 on a road course, why would you want to lose that. When we get the the launch sorted out there will be several of us in the 10's. It looks like we may have the SCT tuning software in 2014. I have used SCT and HP Tuners (Solstice), these allow all chassis and engine functions to work cooperatively, but, still allow a tuner to get the extra hp.

I was not trying to be smart, a TT G2 is almost unbeatable at the dragstrip when it is set up correctly. Even my NA G2 runs 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Confused, maybe; leaning definitely.

I guess this is more pointed at the Gen4 version of the 8.4, which is thought the Gen5 was a very similar design with a little massaging. I guess the interior electronics make it more a different animal. I honestly thought a stand alone could be set up to handle the engines dynamics and leave the rest to the factory ECM, I stand corrected. As far as the timeline goes, this particular engine in one form or another has been around for 5 years or so, maybe it is too soon for a tuner.

This isn't a bash, I really do want this to come to fruition. And to answer the last question with a question, isn't this thread about these cars at a drag strip?

Maybe I come across more argumentative than I mean to, I'll shut up, carry on.
    Last edited by Jack B; 11-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    The problem is that with a stand-alone you are going to lose a lot of what makes the car such a road course performer. The bus system on all the new cars make them difficult to remove the factory pcm. Try naming the cars that can beat a stock G5 on a road course, why would you want to lose that. When we get the the launch sorted out there will be several of us in the 10's. It looks like we may have the SCT tuning software in 2014. I have used SCT and HP Tuners (Solstice), these allow all chassis and engine functions to work cooperatively, but, still allow a tuner to get the extra hp.

I was not trying to be smart, a TT G2 is almost unbeatable at the dragstrip when it is set up correctly. Even my NA G2 runs 10's.

With what set up may I ask ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Enthusiast
    Heads and cam.

Quote Originally Posted by slitherv10 View Post
    [/B]

With what set up may I ask ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12