How to open gen v door with a dead key fob

Just curious,

How do we open door on gen v if the key fob is dead, is there a place to use the actual key in fob, besides the truck lock?

I dont have a dead fob, im just curious, the gen 3 and 4 s had the key lock under top of driver door.

Thanks

Enthusiast
    Use the key to pop the trunk. Then there is a hidden pull-strap behind the trunk panels that you pull to open the driver door. Another pull strap pops the gas door.

Same pull string mechanism in my. Maserati only it's behind the drivers seat. Maybe it's a Fiat thing.

I've got the one for the gas cap.

But where is the one for door? I lifted the trunk mat above the tire air pump, but no grab handle there, anyone know where door grab handle is?

Thanks

Enthusiast
    It should be on the passenger side I thought

That one on the passenger side is for the gas filler cap.

Enthusiast
    The dealer told me that the key was to use on the hatch so you could get in and charge your car battery and thus enter the car. I know my Gen III cars wore out batteries pretty fast if you didn't drive them. I have never had the actual fob go bad and my cars were 8 and 9 years old. My Z06 is 12 and the key fob still works. So it seems reasonable that you charge the battery and get the fob to work. Also the new car comes with a setting on the evic to put the car in hibernation mode. Less drain on the battery? I am going to read my manual and watch the DVD/ CD today.
    Last edited by Bitten; 01-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Enthusiast
    I looked yesterday, didn't find any release for the door. I guess I was told incorrectly. Charging/jumping the battery does make sense though, it is easy to access on the Gen V in the trunk. Owners manual and DVD doesn't mention anything about what to do when the battery dies, or anything about pull-releases.

Enthusiast
    I pulled the entire trunk apart when I put in sound deadening, there was one one pull cord that I could see. IMHO a door pull would be a good idea.

Gents

FYI - SRT Engineering has never had a dead Gen 5 fob yet, over years of lots of use. So we are answering a long-term question that we haven't even gotten to yet, but eventually this will occur.

Step 1 - use the other fob to open the car. Lacking that option, then

Step 2 - Open the rear hatch (using key) and manually pull the interior door release handle. A small helper to climb through would be helpful at this point. Lacking that, a carefully padded coat-hanger hook can do the job.

Of course, if the issue is the dead car battery (not the fob), the solution is easier: manually open the rear hatch with the key, and lift the trunk floor panel and directly charge the battery. Use the car's power to then open the exterior doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    Use the key to pop the trunk. Then there is a hidden pull-strap behind the trunk panels that you pull to open the driver door. Another pull strap pops the gas door.
    FYI gents - the emergency fuel door release is on the right hand side (just behind the fuel door), hidden behind the carpet as noted. There is no similar cable release for the side doors in the trunk area.

The side door latches in the Viper are in the doors, so there is not a cable release override in the trunk. The doors themselves do have a 'cable-override' feature, tied to the interior door handles; if you pull the interior handles back toward full travel, the cable will open the electric door latch, regardless of whether the car has power or not.

will the alarm sound when opening the rear hatch with the key?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
    will the alarm sound when opening the rear hatch with the key?
    Don't think that Is a worry if the battery is dead

Issue I also have is Passenger door wont open at all anymore, after opening constantly, switch probably shorted out, I will take in for dealer to fix soon, but if the driver door realease switch were to fail as well, charging battery or using other key fob wont solve issue.

Enthusiast
    The same can be said for every car ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhlr8n View Post
    Issue I also have is Passenger door wont open at all anymore, after opening constantly, switch probably shorted out, I will take in for dealer to fix soon, but if the driver door realease switch were to fail as well, charging battery or using other key fob wont solve issue.

No doubt Jack,

But many cars like the gen 3 + 4, have a manual key over ride or fail safe to enter, an optional way to get in with a "physical Key" not electronics, electronics fail way too often,

Even my wife's 2012 camaro has a KEYed door lock entry on driver side.

They dropped the pooch on this one.