Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Need assistance valuing a Gen V

New here, long story short I'm looking to buy a Gen V that was a manufacturer buyback (lemon law on title) but am unable to value it to know if it's priced high, correct or low. I've called a couple of lenders I regularly use for business and they are unable to find the VIN in the systems they use. I personally feel it's listed quite high, and on the VOA Facebook page a member thought so too. I'd appreciate any help any members could provide so I can be educated when I begin negotiating.

I'm not listing the vin (happy to PM everything) in this post because this is a public forum and I've already lost a couple other cars I've been interested in the last couple months.

Thanks to anyone willing to help,
    Chris

Enthusiast
    How about Year, mileage and equipment to start....?

Enthusiast
    2014 GTS 6500 miles. I'm not familiar with all of the standard equipment and what options automatically add other items but it looks to have the suede and leather inserts on the seats, no upgraded stereo, split spoke wheels (not the lightweight TA wheels), and customer preferred packages 2DA and 21A (not sure what those are). Everything else looks pretty standard, USB connect with Bluetooth, navigation, ierius XM etc.

Enthusiast
    Does it say GTS or TA on the car?

Do you know why it was bought back? That would matter to me in a big way. If not, you can go to mopar customer care website, go into chat and give them the vin and ask, I've done this and they can tell you what the reason was, although not a ton of detail. It would matter to me in value for ex I looked at one, and it was bought back due to 2 motor replacements, 2 diff replacements, 1 PCM replacement and electrical. That was waaaay too much. Sometimes it might be a buy back cause it sat waiting on an engine or a trans issue, which would be less drama and worth more. But, you're well under $70k for sure. It's a matter of how much, as the car is missing the HK upgrade and Laguna, which to me in a GTS it should have or it's really like a GT.

Enthusiast
    GTS; no track pack or aero add-ons.

this one was bought back because of hood paint blistering

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Do you know why it was bought back? That would matter to me in a big way. If not, you can go to mopar customer care website, go into chat and give them the vin and ask, I've done this and they can tell you what the reason was, although not a ton of detail. It would matter to me in value for ex I looked at one, and it was bought back due to 2 motor replacements, 2 diff replacements, 1 PCM replacement and electrical. That was waaaay too much. Sometimes it might be a buy back cause it sat waiting on an engine or a trans issue, which would be less drama and worth more. But, you're well under $70k for sure. It's a matter of how much, as the car is missing the HK upgrade and Laguna, which to me in a GTS it should have or it's really like a GT.
    Yes I have the paperwork. Nothing mechanical was reported in the buyback and has passed R28 & R29 (which apparently means nothing to some here).

My two cents after studying pricing in the last six months and I'm still know very little compared to the pros here-didn't check the price posted.... $65,000 if no problems with the car. Neat colors...Close???

Enthusiast
    My car is a GTS with no upgraded HK or slotted rotors.... weirdly

If it's that one listed above, then at $68,500 it is a very fair priced viper. They don't sell for less than that on GTS so even with a dealer buyback you're getting right around the cheapest viper out there.

Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    Agreed, has to be this one. Van Horn buys them back all the time as it's the only version of the Viper they can sell (their words not mine) and make money on. I talked to them about an Orange TA last year but it sold the day before I went to the dealer.

Enthusiast
    Seems to be priced reasonably without seeing the car in person, maybe offer 65k. I've seen some lemons go for high $50's but not a GTS.

Enthusiast
    You have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPete View Post
    My car is a GTS with no upgraded HK or slotted rotors.... weirdly
    I've always thought it weird that the full boat cars didn't get the upgraded StopTechs standard.

offer him 60K and pay no more than 63-65K, it's a pain in the ass selling a viper, let alone one with a branded title!

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    I've always thought it weird that the full boat cars didn't get the upgraded StopTechs standard.
    By 2014 anyway, the GTS Cars did receive the upgraded 2-piece slotted rotors. The 18-speaker HK was a separate item.

Enthusiast
    The problem I see for those of you who say it's priced fair is the title is branded Lemon. I can find non lemon Vipers for between 2-5k more. Generally Lemon cars (regardless of reason) are roughly 20-25% under normal market value. NADA shows low end for a 14 gts to be $61k, I would assume that means that was a lemon but can only speculate

i offered 62k plus ttl for that car. they said no. unless you plan to drive it or keep it for a long time, you have to factor in,
    1. lower resale (thetas not as big a deal if you have priced that in) this point is pretty obvious
    2. a much smaller market that buys branded vehicles and this results in a much longer time to sell
    again for me, the number was 62 as i would have driven it a lot and for a long time. not saying that 62 is what the value should be, but made sense for me at 62 bc i was not looking to sell anytime soon.

Enthusiast
    Only way id buy a branded title car are:

1. Track car only
    2. Have to be able to steal it. Like 50k.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by V10powerr View Post
    i offered 62k plus ttl for that car. they said no. unless you plan to drive it or keep it for a long time, you have to factor in,
    1. lower resale (thetas not as big a deal if you have priced that in) this point is pretty obvious
    2. a much smaller market that buys branded vehicles and this results in a much longer time to sell
    again for me, the number was 62 as i would have driven it a lot and for a long time. not saying that 62 is what the value should be, but made sense for me at 62 bc i was not looking to sell anytime soon.
    Thank you, I sent a PM

Quote Originally Posted by SIK67SS View Post
    Thank you, I sent a PM
    It has to be worth it to you, but if you're looking for a GTS viper under 65k, expect to wait a long time. Branded lemon or not, if they dropped the price to 62K all sorts of people would buy it because you have people that plan to own it forever, people looking for the best price around, people just out of the price target at close to 70k that might be able to afford the 62k etc... I'm not saying you might not be able to squabble and get it for 67k or something like that, but I can't imagine any dealer willing to cut their price that drastically when there are no other cars on the market at that price. That is the lowest priced GTS for sale currently. Good luck trying to get them to go lower.

Yea. I've talked to them before also on a car I was considering for a track day toy, and they reached out to me on this one a bit ago. $68,500 is too much but not by much. I'd not go more than $65k if red was also my color of choice. Reselling will be very tough, so just keep that in mind. If it's for you for a while and that price is the way to get into a gen5 then it's a decent option IMO. You can find occasion deals in the low $70s, not branded, but that 10% price difference can be a no-go if you're budget is tight.

The red Viper for sale on facebook listed for around $67,000 with clean title just sold not too long ago. Can't remember the exact specs or year but as the OP stated clean titles can be found for low 70s so for a branded title I would agree it needs to be a lot lower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast