Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Fuel filter discontinued 93-02

Anyone know of an aftermarket fuel filter that will fit a gen 1 or 2? The part number was 4708317 from Chrysler, it is discontinued.

Enthusiast
    I bought a NAPA Gold fuel filter a couple years back for my 2001 RT/10. P/N 3325

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...325_0062663133

Not sure what auto parts places you have north of the border...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    I bought a NAPA Gold fuel filter a couple years back for my 2001 RT/10. P/N 3325

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...325_0062663133

Not sure what auto parts places you have north of the border...
    We have Napa, but they don't let us bring our polar bears inside.

Thanks for the part number

Enthusiast
    It is good to know they are still available, but I hope I never have to change it out again as it was a real PITA to install correctly. I would guess that next time I have to do it I am sure it would be a bit easier.

Enthusiast
    Discontinued completely or part number replaced with a different one in an updated Mopar filter? I am needing one soon as well.

Tech Team

The 4708317 filter has been discontinued from Chrysler parts. No new Chrysler number was issued. I have used many of the NAPA gold 3325 filters with no problems.
    A tip to changing the fuel filter. Once you have disconnected the bottom line. The one leaving the filter going to the engine. Remove the screw holding the filter to the frame rail. Then with the drivers rear tire removed you can pull the fuel filter from behind the wheel well liner to make disconnecting the inlet line from the tank much easier. Just be careful not to over stress the line coming from the tank as you can crack the line. The biggest benefit to doing it this way it makes it so much easier to remove the line but you also can make sure the line is fully seated and locked in place in the filter when re installed. If not fully seated and locked in place the line can blow off and dump fuel on a hot exhaust system.

Enthusiast
    ... and Mr. Sessions comes through again. Thanks Tommy Techno , you are always a big help!!

Enthusiast
    Tom, thanks for the tech tip. I still need to do my filter and this will help.

Tech Team

Maybe I'll come to Raleigh and we can have a fuel filter changing party.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Tom, thanks for the tech tip. I still need to do my filter and this will help.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
    I'm still waiting for you to come back through Ohio/Indiana so we can have a corner weighting party

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
    It's a deal! I still need to have my antilock system flushed using the DRBIII too. Are you planning a trip to Raleigh in the next couple months?

Enthusiast
    Just got an email from Rock Auto...they have purolator fuel filters that should fit the Gen II (part # F64707) for $6.24.

Enthusiast
    So they are now discontinued but are there some NOS ones still in stock in some dealerships sitting on a shelf? I would like a Dodge one if I can find it.

Tech Team

Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    So they are now discontinued but are there some NOS ones still in stock in some dealerships sitting on a shelf? I would like a Dodge one if I can find it.
    There was more then one of the OEM filters towards the end of the run that had issues leaking around the crimp end of the filter where it all came together. So not sure if I would go after a older factory filter.

Enthusiast
    I would avoid swapping filters at all costs, such a PITA.

Enthusiast
    Thanks Tom;

I know it is just a fuel filter but if going to the pain of swapping it out, I would just want the best, highest quality filter I can get considering it will be on the car for a very long time. As far as changing not changing, I bought the car used and am not familiar with what the previous owner(s) used for fuel. Last thing I want to do is start pushing extra dirt and grit through the motor because I was too lazy to change a filter. Again being used, it is a piece of mind thing.

Thanks

Enthusiast
    Thanks Tom;

I know it is just a fuel filter but if going to the pain of swapping it out, I would just want the best, highest quality filter I can get considering it will be on the car for a very long time. As far as changing not changing, I bought the car used and am not familiar with what the previous owner(s) used for fuel. Last thing I want to do is start pushing extra dirt and grit through the motor because I was too lazy to change a filter. Again being used, it is a piece of mind thing.

Thanks
    Just an FYI, there is a filter in your fuel bucket that anything would have to make it through to even get to the one under the car.

Tech Team

The 3325 NAPA filter is a wix filter so the quality is there. No worries.

Enthusiast
    Thanks Tom, that is what I will use.

MTGTS, are you saying there is another filter in the fuel tank?

Enthusiast
    Fuel Filter: 2 - One external; one internal inside the fuel cell.
    Unfortunately, I've had to replace both, and also the fuel cell itself.

Enthusiast

MTGTS, are you saying there is another filter in the fuel tank?
    yes

Enthusiast
    Thanks! Learn something new each day, I guess!

Enthusiast
    I wanted to add to this thread for anyone who is struggling with the removing the plastic line from the fuel filter. I had a gen 2 I spent hours trying everything to remove the plastic fuel line. (bolt in and out) The solution is to use a small tube cutter on the metal part of your old fuel filter. After splitting the fitting the spring will pop out and the plastic line comes out without issue.

Try the normal procedure first, if it does not work use a tube cutter

Last edited by Garron; 11-15-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Enthusiast
    If it ain't broke, why risk it? Fuel starved at 6,200 RPM? Change it. If not, why?

Is there a bypass in the filter that will let dirt pass if it did get clogged? Look at the size of that filter compared to the old thimble size Quadrajet filter (which actually did have a bypass spring). What kind of mileage would it take to fill that thing with particulates? I ran a 5.9 Durango to 200K and never changed the fuel filter.

I'd check availability of that line Tom mentions as if you stress crack that, a dirty fuel filter will be the least of your problems.

Enthusiast
    Agree that the connectors on both ends of the filter can be a problem...even with a quick disconnect tool. One owner soaked his connector with CLR for a while after other products failed...and, it worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast