Thread: Replacing hoses

Replacing hoses

I want to replace the rubber hoses on my 2001 rt/10 with steel braided ones. Do you know where I may get them? thanks. Jack

Coolant? Brake?

Coolant. Should I do brake lines also?

Enthusiast
    As info...I replaced my coolant hoses with silicon. I have these brake lines...IPSCO SS braided brake flex lines.

Enthusiast
    You replace the coolant hoses with silicone and the brake hoses with SS.

Enthusiast
    Jack, I've never seen coolant hoses for the Viper with a stainless braided covering. Do your hoses need replacing or is this to enhance the looks of your engine bay?

C.J., the rubber hoses are 13 years old and I just thought, to play it safe and replace them. My luch they would leak on a road trip. Jack

Enthusiast
    Your Viper has pretty low miles, and I had the same concern with mine when I bought it. I talked with Chuck Tator (aka Viper Wizard) and he still has the original hoses on his '94 (or was it a '95?) Viper. He said the hoses are very high quality from Dodge. When I swapped my coolant, I checked the hoses and they all seem to be in great shape. You're probalby more likely to have a p/s pulley fail or have the water pump impeller fail vs. have the radiator hoses fail.

There was a bad batch of water pumps in 2001, and some of those pumps have impellers that will spin on the shaft.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowviper View Post
    C.J., the rubber hoses are 13 years old and I just thought, to play it safe and replace them. My luch they would leak on a road trip. Jack
    I replaced the 2 main rubber hoses on my '02 for the same reason. I was just going to use OEM replacements; but, found that, at the time, the Mopar stock of upper hoses were formed incorrectly, so, I bought the silicone ones.

The originals that I took off looked just fine on the inside, though.

I would think that it is cheap insurance to change the coolant hoses when doing a flush but that is a matter of opinion since they aren't cheap as compared to a Chevy LOL.

I bought mine from Roe and used Evan's coolant instead of the water based coolant.You never have to change it again but it cost $40.00 a gallon!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Replacing the coolant hoses are not a big deal. Cheap little refresh. But I do agree with what was said, for the most part, the stock ones will hold up well for a long time.

On a side note, avoid the stainless coolant hoses as they tend to be more rigid. You do want a certain amount of flex in there. Nobody, that I know of, makes formed stainless braided hoses for our cars. I would say it's best to just go with the silicone hoses if you want some added insurance.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Do it (replace them).

I have a 2000 ACR/GTS with 14k miles on it and the top hose blew last week. I replaced both the top and bottom hoses (and belt) with the Snake-Oly silicone hoses. Also completely removed/flushed the crappy green coolant out of the system and replaced it with the Mopar red 5 year HOAT anti-freeze.

Enthusiast
    http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/ind...ling-hose.htmlThese are the silicone hoses I used....a lot cheaper than Snake-Oly.

Enthusiast
    The ROE Racing silicone hoses have a bleeder in the upper for ease of burping the system. Worked great on mine.

Enthusiast
    +1 on the Roe Racing bleeder valve...

This is what I have (I painted mine red and ignore the blue painters tape under the hoses, this picture was taken during installation)...

Silicone Radiator Hose Set Gen2 96-02 Vipers

Upper Radiator Hose Bleeder Kit 96-02 GTS & 97-02 RT/10