Enthusiast

Cheap DIY side sills vents

Bonjour guys,

Just wanted share my cheap DIY side sills vents.

I drilled 4x 3/8" holes on the inside plastic/fiberglass fender wheel wells. Both on the driver and passenger side.
    I made a card board templet that I used on both side to make sure the would look the same on both side. Just needed to reverse the template to make the passenger side.
    The plastic/fiberglass is strong enough not to be affected by the holes and such holes provide ventilation to the hot side sills.
    I did not take before and after side sills temperature but I am guessing the holes cannot hurt bringing down the temperature in the side sills.

Ben
    1997, R/T 10, stock with Borla cat back exhaust, smooth tube k&n filters

image.jpg

Enthusiast
    Airflow can't hurt. That looks like a cheap, easy way to get the air moving in there.
    Or you could always take out the cats and resonator in the side sills and run it straight pipe. That cooled my sills quite nicely

Enthusiast
    Why you didn't drill more holes than that? You drilled the holes only behind the front wheels? What about if you drilled the holes at the rear as well?

I'm about to send my side sills for a re-spray (there are bubbles at some spots) and I would like to fix that issue.

Where I live, they don't care about pollution, but they care about the noise. What are the other solutions, I don't feel like re-sending my side sills for a re-spray in 5 years.

Enthusiast
    Salut Murcielago,

Since the pic was taken, I added 3 more holes on the inside of the 4.
    Never had any bubble on my side sills but they were very hot when touching after being in stop and go trafic. After adding the holes, temperature were significantly lower.
    I didn't add any holes in the back since it is all open towards the undercarriage of the car, so air is getting out.
    I've been following your thread about heat on the side sill, soI don't know if your bubble paint was there when you bought the car but here my two cents.
    My 97 Viper has borla catback system and still has the oem cats. The only time my sills got so hot my paint changed color (got darker) was when I had a engine light caused by a faulty driver side O2 sensor. I was coming back from a two hour drive and started running real rich. It overheated the cat and cooked my sill on the driver side. i was lucky enough it didn't bubble them.
    I cahnged the sensor and everything was back to normal. So, if your bubble didn't happened when you had the car, maybe the same thing happened to the previous owner.
    By the way, my Viper has 93000km and runs fine.

Ben

By the way, the Quebec Viper club is having an outting in Baie Comeau and Lamalbaie area next July
    Last edited by Lemay88; 02-21-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: More info