Enthusiast

Fiat Owning Chrysler: Good or Bad for SRT Viper?

I personally have mixed feelings:

For me the positive is that I think it is cool that the Viper has the SRT that holds true to the Vipers in the past where it is bare bones and built for speed while the GTS is luxurious with the leather wrapped everything and both seats coming from the same company as Ferrari (which most of us know is also owned by Fiat) while still holding true to its history. Furthermore, I don't think it would be a bad thing to get a European perspective and F1 technology to help the Viper go faster around the track when the Gen IV ACR set very high standards.

The only real negative is I feel Fiat is keeping the Viper from being the true horsepower and torque monster that made it famous and destroyed the competition mainly because they don't want the Viper to have a greater horsepower to weight ratio than the Ferrari (F12) and beats its "sibling" that carries a price tag that is 2x-3x more. I mean the Viper disappears for 3 years and there is only an extra 40 horsepower increase compared to almost 100 hp during the 1 year break from 2006-2008? Honestly, I was really disappointed when I heard that during the official launch since I was expecting at least 700 hp.

What are everyone's thought about Fiat owning Chrysler now in regards to its impact on the Viper?

The Italian influence is worth it for the better interior alone. Plus it is engineering and suspension that matter when it comes to performance. Throwing more horsepower at it isn't the answer, even though lots of power is cool. Fiat is going to make 5 different Maserati models with a goal of 5 k combined units annually so they should have resources to help the snake see the vert and ACR variants hopefully which would be a good thing.

Besides, no one really is who they claim to be. Bentley is really Volkswagen wagon, Lamborghini is Audi etc

Absolutely GOOD. The cars will have more Passion.

eh, i dont think it matters either way. time will tell
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Well, maybe the Top Gear guys will not rag on us so bad now.......................

Enthusiast
    It is strange that the company that is hemorrhaging cash is buying the company rolling in it (now).

My prediction? Fiat will bleed Chrysler dry and in 5 years they will be bailed out yet again.

News flash: when SRT had guys named Sergio and a one of one snake with an Italian flag colored stripe running down its seat, it was Fiat all along. Welcome to the twilight zone.

Enthusiast
    nothing but a brighter future.... Look at what Sergio has done with the portion of control he has for the company as a whole, and the quality across the board on all brands (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler).. I too think the ownership will help support low production units such as the Viper. I second the input on the suspension and handling of the car. What good is gobs of power if you can't connect it to the ground? At that point we would just be in love with a FanBoat so to speak.

Enthusiast
    I think it has its good and bad. First off, I too see Fiat sucking Chrysler dry, I honestly think Chrysler likes being treated this way, they keep letting it happen. There is no doubt that it will help the engineering of the Viper, they know how to make very dollar count in Low production vehicles. I also think that the Viper will eternally be neutered to keep plating second fiddle to the Ferrari.

Enthusiast
    I think the leadership Fiat brings to the table is a plus compared to Daimler. But I believe the cash flow problems Fiat has coupled with the poor economy they're dealing with in Europe and elsewhere may end up bleeding Chrysler's cash flow. The bigger concern I have is SRT. What is it in the overall Fiat/Chrysler lineup? Is it a brand? A performance division? Is it Chrysler or Fiat? Will we see a Ferrari-SRT version in the future? I would love to see SRT evolve to something similar to a Mercedes-AMG. And what does this merger mean for Ralph? As for the Viper it needs to show a profit. Sergio may get it about the Viper but when push comes to shove he'll be looking at the bottom line. I also agree that Fiat won't allow SRT to build anything that's going to trump their highest performance vehicles especially at a lower price.

I'm curious to see how SRT comes out of this in the next year or two.

Remember when Chrysler owned Lamborghini?
    Now Fiat owns Chrysler.

Hate it for the fact it's one of the reasons we can't unlock the computer and not a fan of the softer lines on the gen 5 at all.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    I think the leadership Fiat brings to the table is a plus compared to Daimler. But I believe the cash flow problems Fiat has coupled with the poor economy they're dealing with in Europe and elsewhere may end up bleeding Chrysler's cash flow. The bigger concern I have is SRT. What is it in the overall Fiat/Chrysler lineup? Is it a brand? A performance division? Is it Chrysler or Fiat? Will we see a Ferrari-SRT version in the future? I would love to see SRT evolve to something similar to a Mercedes-AMG. And what does this merger mean for Ralph? As for the Viper it needs to show a profit. Sergio may get it about the Viper but when push comes to shove he'll be looking at the bottom line. I also agree that Fiat won't allow SRT to build anything that's going to trump their highest performance vehicles especially at a lower price.

I'm curious to see how SRT comes out of this in the next year or two.
    I don't think Sergio or fiat for that matter cares about trumping the Ferrari.

When Chrysler/Dodge trumped the Ferrari and the like for that matter (Lambo, Porsche etc) I didn't see any of those guys convert over to Viper. they may have added it to their collection for bragging rights at that time as it was the monster to own, but, they never left their roots behind. Ferrari and Lambo and Porsche .heck, even Chevy (Corvette) guys would never leave their loyalty, they would just add it to their line up. That's all. Which in turn benefits everyone. More sales for Fiat (selling the Viper) and still more sales for Ferrari. Numbers will not be affected by making the Viper more powerful. In fact it may benefit them in the long run as exclusivity and bang for the buck, may FULLY convert some loyal competitors over as it did in the early to mid 90's with those Vipers.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Well, maybe the Top Gear guys will not rag on us so bad now.......................
    Clarkson ragged on it earlier this year when all 3 of the guys did a competition on the show. Although I do hope they do a review on it and lap time next season. I think Clarkson secretly has always liked the Viper...well maybe not so much of a secret since he said, "I do like it though" when he was reviewing the Gen III. I don't think Clarkson has ever been fond of American cars, but then again he often compares a $40k-$100k American car to something that is 3x the cost. I believe the only American car he ever owned was a Ford GT which had some serious issues from my understanding.

I know horsepower means nothing if all you're doing is sitting there smoking the tires because it can't hook, but at the same token, isn't horsepower and torque what originally made owners passionate about it? With the F1 and European technology of Ferrari and Maserati I think you could easily have 700 hp and still make it launch...Ferrari has already done that. I remember when 400 hp was a lot, then 500 and 600. The Viper was always ahead of the competition in the horsepower war and now the new Shelby has 662 and I'm sure when Corvette makes the successor to the Z06 and/or ZR1 it will make more than 640. I used to own a Corvette and they're amazing cars, but I think of a Corvette as a possible daily driver while I consider my Viper to be an adrenalin rush.