Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Lightbulb Gen 2 GTS Outer Stanchion Cover weatherstrip upgrade/replacement

Knowing that the Gen 2's have issues with the weatherstripping for the Outer Stanchion Cover on the GTS (Part MS80RX8 passenger and MS81RX8 driver):

1) Replacements are hard to get (if even still available for drivers side).

2) It is very expensive to purchase a whole cover just to replace the weatherstrip.

3) Original attachment is weak and can pop off if pressed hard.

I am pursuing getting this issue solved for both Driver and Passenger side.

I would like to make weatherstrip so it is stronger than OEM and an easy replacement process while looking OEM (at a reasonable cost).

I could use items below if anyone can help me (PM me please).

A) old weatherstrip piece (any length or condition) and/or junk outer Stanchion for testing (don't want to tear mine up just yet, unless I have to).

B) any old drawing or OEM spec on who made the weatherstrip for Dodge (and the dimensions if possible).

NOTE: This will take time (I am a busy guy).

To gauge interest >> Who would be interested in the final product? (if my part works out).
    Last edited by SnakeWatching; 08-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Don't have any of the items you need but I'm hopeful you can get it figured out. Would be nice to have a cost effective option for when that day comes.

I don't have any spares for testing...just the rotted ones, flapping off my GTS.

I would buy replacements if made available again

I would certainly be on board. I still can't pony up $700 for OEM replacements if they are just going to break again. I am sure this isn't an extremely difficult project if you can find the right stripping and have a decent R&D background.

Enthusiast
    I would be interested, mine are good but would like other options than just buying a new stanchion.

Enthusiast
    I think many would be interested...

I would be interested.

Enthusiast
    Count me in

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    I have brand new stanchions. They are not $700 lol. So you need an impression from one?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    I have brand new stanchions. They are not $700 lol. So you need an impression from one?
    My idea is to have the outer stanchion plate (poor condition or broken would be fine) and a section (1-2 inches minimum?) of the weatherstrip that falls off. I can get measurements and a cross-section of weatherstrip to people that can manufacture the new strip. When I get full length test weatherstrips I would need a good outer stanchion to test fit the strip.

Someone may know better, but it seems that the factory stripping is a bit too short to begin with. I have glued the broken stripping back together with industrial rubber cement and the window still wants to break past it when rolling it up....which of course it does eventually. Or maybe the stripping is the right size and the factory design is a bit flawed by having the window go up to far?

@ MacGyvers.. : You are correct. I never roll the windows on my Gen II GTS all the way up. I was told that what you described is indeed a design flaw and that rolling the window all the way up only accelerates/exacerbates the strip breaking off the stanchion plate.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyvers Mullet View Post
    Someone may know better, but it seems that the factory stripping is a bit too short to begin with. I have glued the broken stripping back together with industrial rubber cement and the window still wants to break past it when rolling it up....which of course it does eventually. Or maybe the stripping is the right size and the factory design is a bit flawed by having the window go up to far?
    All my other cars auto windows seem to stop "UP" fine. I have not had the Viper very long, but I must say the widow does seem to stop in the "UP" position with a lot of force. Anyone know of a way to correct the glass stop function?

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    The upper glass travel stop is inside the stanchion. It's a lot of disassembly to get to.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Mine has come loose. I was planning on tackling this soon. I will gladly take a multitude of photos for you.

I was planning on repairing, but have to look at it to see what the possibilities are, if any.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Enthusiast
    What do you need pics of? I have new ones and have repaired old ones with some pics of those.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    What do you need pics of? I have new ones and have repaired old ones with some pics of those.
    Then I guess you have it covered.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Enthusiast
    I'm curious to see such.

Enthusiast
    Pictures of new and old repairs would be very helpful.

Enthusiast
    I think the reason why a lot of the drivers door weatherstrips are popped off is because when I was watching my Viper being driven out of the transport, the driver had to climb into the viper through the drivers side window opening (with not much room to move around), to be able to drive the car out. You put a big guy going through a tight opening and .... pop goes the weatherstrip.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeWatching View Post
    I think the reason why a lot of the drivers door weatherstrips are popped off is because when I was watching my Viper being driven out of the transport, the driver had to climb into the viper through the drivers side window opening (with not much room to move around), to be able to drive the car out. You put a big guy going through a tight opening and .... pop goes the weatherstrip.
    ^^^^^ This happened to mine about 10 years ago. Used some 3M adhesive (black) and it is still holding. However, I'm definitely interested in a new replacement weatherstrip.

Enthusiast
    I received my first sample weatherstrip and it looks promising.

This weatherstrip (beyond normal attachment surface) has a curl of rubber that wraps over the outside front edge of the outer stanchion (which the OEM did not) for increased attachment strength.

Any further development on this? Very interested.

Enthusiast
    The supplier of the first run of strips (that sent me the sample) says they are still not in stock, they told me 2 weeks ago "It would be 2 weeks" I hope it will not be too long.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast