Enthusiast
    Splitting hairs if you ask me. Look at the bottem graph. These two cars are identical in performance. I want to see both cars tested on the same day. That would be real cool..

I am pretty sure if the ZR1, TA and ACR were all at the track on the same day with same tires they could go back and forth all day long slowly 1 upping each other and all 3 beat that current time. All you need is a driver that wants it and knows what they are doing with 1 lap to beat a record and as mentioned, they are all damn close.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    I am pretty sure if the ZR1, TA and ACR were all at the track on the same day with same tires they could go back and forth all day long slowly 1 upping each other and all 3 beat that current time. All you need is a driver that wants it and knows what they are doing with 1 lap to beat a record and as mentioned, they are all damn close.
    Very well said, and weather (density altitude) makes a huge difference in the amount of power a vehicle both makes and is able to put down to the surface.

I read a thread here on the VOA where a private owner broke the production car record, recorded by I think Kuno at Buttonwillow by almost a second in a stock 2010 ACR. If a private owner can do that against a factory drivers record it shows you how much time can be potentially shaved off. I always like the same track same day comparo's.

Only Caveat I would love to see on these tests is to have factory drivers available to pilot the vehicles since they are the most familiar with the handling characteristics of the vehicles they are driving. Logistically I'm sure that's next to impossible though.

Enthusiast
    This journalist lost my attention with his opening paragraph.

Confession: The 2014 SRT Viper TA is the first Viper I have driven. Like its namesake, the Viper has a reputation for biting its driver at the limits. In fact, professional racer Randy Pobst said that given its tendency for understeer and more oversteer, the 2013 Viper GTS was less confidence-inspiring around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca than the outgoing Chevrolet Corvette ZR1. Pobst's comments, as well as his 2.07-second slower lap time (1:33.70 versus 1:35.77) compared to the ZR1, prompted SRT to speed up development of the track-oriented Viper TA, and yes, TA stands for Track Attack.

How can you have understeer and oversteer? This guy doesn't get it, technically.

TA = Time Attack. Take better notes.

Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    No... the LS9 would heat soak...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    And the brake fluid boiling in the ZR1... Which was oddly left out of the article!

Here is my take on this! Pobst ran the ZR1 in 2009 and did a 1:35.8 which is 2.1 seconds slower than last years time. Why is the ZR1 that much faster now, I am not sure if they had CCB's and cup tires back in 2009 but isn't it fair to say that if the ACR (CCB's) or TA had cups and CCB's they would run faster especially on a course like Seca? Also the ZR1's most recent time was after five years of production run, I'm sure they have tweaked a few things over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFBtVbe-ug

Quote Originally Posted by viperdan View Post
    Here is my take on this! Pobst ran the ZR1 in 2009 and did a 1:35.8 which is 2.1 seconds slower than last years time. Why is the ZR1 that much faster now, I am not sure if they had CCB's and cup tires back in 2009 but isn't it fair to say that if the ACR (CCB's) or TA had cups and CCB's they would run faster especially on a course like Seca? Also the ZR1's most recent time was after five years of production run, I'm sure they have tweaked a few things over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFBtVbe-ug
    2010 onwards ZR1 got Michelin Cups just like the ACR.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorps View Post
    2010 onwards ZR1 got Michelin Cups just like the ACR.
    And I believe the ZR1's were reformulated for the Corvette at that time, grippier than previous Michelin Cups. Can anyone confirm?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    And I believe the ZR1's were reformulated for the Corvette at that time, grippier than previous Michelin Cups. Can anyone confirm?
    According to our friend, this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    I didn't say race, nor did I feel like beating that dead horse. The ZR1 is perfectly capable of clicking off a fast lap time. It's already proved that

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    According to our friend, this is the case.
    And that is my understanding also.

Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    So I guess it is fair to say that the ZR1 shaved quite a bit of time simply by having a tire upgrade which in turn means the Gen V could easily do the same by shedding the Corsas for cups, throw in CCB's and I bet the car approaches 1:31ish at Seca.