Enthusiast

Side mirror washing leakage

hey all,

I have... like many of you a frustration with the side mirrors leaking water long after I have washed and dried my car.

My water is particularly hard and the dripping leaves an awful white mark. I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar in the trunk so that I can get it off (works perfectly by the way)

Does anyone have any remedies to prevent the water from sitting in the mirror housing? Could we make a drain tube? Seal it up better?

Any ideas? I cant stand that crap.

I hired a photographer to shoot the car while I was racing during the WannaGoFast event and in my night-before-excitement I forgot to check the doors and a few of my pictures have these frikkin water spot marks...

Enthusiast
    For whatever it's worth, I get less hard water staining after applying this Migliore Strata stuff, but I do find it just as frustrating. Are you towel drying or using air? Where is all this damn water collecting?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cpinfdp View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I get less hard water staining after applying this Migliore Strata stuff, but I do find it just as frustrating. Are you towel drying or using air? Where is all this damn water collecting?
    I use an electric leaf blower.

Man I have no idea were all the water comes from. I swivel the mirror back and fourth and blast it with air from every direction and more water always comes out. I think the mirror housing just needs its own dedicated drain tube ran inside the door to a drain on the bottom of the door somehow.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperPete View Post
    That will work but I use the Air Force Master Blaster. There ain't no crack on my car big enough to hide any kind of water, hard, soft or even ugly.

Enthusiast
    I use the AFMB as well and it still doesn't get all the water out. It's a huge pain in the ass on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    That will work but I use the Air Force Master Blaster. There ain't no crack on my car big enough to hide any kind of water, hard, soft or even ugly.

leaf blower
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    leaf blower
    Won't get it all, I'm telling you some of these gen v's hold water in that mirror like you wouldn't believe. I use something much stronger than a leaf blower and overnight it still drips.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FLATOUT View Post
    Won't get it all, I'm telling you some of these gen v's hold water in that mirror like you wouldn't believe. I use something much stronger than a leaf blower and overnight it still drips.
    I have tried using my air compressor and at 150 psi it still doesn't get the water out.

Its not about pressure its about drainage. The water collects in the mirror base that attaches to the door itself.

Anybody ever taken apart the door guts and been able to see if there is space for a drainage tube?

My left side mirror isn't a problem, the right side drips about every third time I wash. I use a very high velocity leaf blower. The mirrors are no problem compared to the water storage tank mounted on the rear of the car, the TA2.0 WING. This thing holds more water than a camel, it will drip for hours. If someone has a solution for this i'd love to hear it.

Enthusiast
    Me too, Sears to be exact.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    Me too, Sears to be exact.
    Bro...Walmart $20 bux. What a deal lol

I hand wash usually at night, avoid my wing and mirrors with the hose. Wrap a microfiber towel around the base of the mirror when I am done and let it grab any water that drips out for a few hrs to over night.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    I hand wash usually at night, avoid my wing and mirrors with the hose. Wrap a microfiber towel around the base of the mirror when I am done and let it grab any water that drips out for a few hrs to over night.
    I've tried wrapping paper towels around the mirror too. Its an odd shape and they don't like touch the wide of the car enough to grab the drips.

I've tried wrapping paper towels around the mirror too. Its an odd shape and they don't like touch the wide of the car enough to grab the drips.
    http://www.theragcompany.com/

Enthusiast
    I would LOVE to see someone using a AFMB and not being able to force all of the water out. On Corvettes, it's the taillights that are the problem but if you are patient and diligent, you will blow all the water out. Some guys go as far as to drill drain holes behind the taillights to eliminate this issue.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    I would LOVE to see someone using a AFMB and not being able to force all of the water out. On Corvettes, it's the taillights that are the problem but if you are patient and diligent, you will blow all the water out. Some guys go as far as to drill drain holes behind the taillights to eliminate this issue.
    That's what I am thinking. Drill a drain tube inside the door skin to allow the water to escape.

Thinking about it...

My Kia used to do the exact same thing, extremely frustrating. Now I tie a plastic bag over both mirrors when I wash and remove them when I'm done. USUALLY the mirrors aren't that dirty so I'll wipe them with the wash mitt or a MF towel and some instant detailer and I'm good to go. I don't know about that 2.0 wing, you'd probably need a body bag!!