Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Question Anyone had their oil lines replaced in/around Edmonton?

Where did you get your oil lines replaced? I wouldnt mind paying someone that has at least done it once before. Any suggestions on where to go?

Enthusiast
    I would recommend that whoever does it, that you go with aftermarket hoses. The OEM ones will just leak again in a few years.

Enthusiast
    Viper speciality .. club sponsor check the direct replacements he has

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-11-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    It is a straight forward job .... that is a total pain in the as* - unless you drop the oil pan. I went with the standard Viper specialty lines - which in all reality - require you to drop the oil pan to get them installed. His new lines would be a piece of cake - but it's really hard to justify the insane price for new style.

Tech Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    His new lines would be a piece of cake - but it's really hard to justify the insane price for new style.
    I totally understand this position, believe me. The parts are insanely expensive to produce these. However, for the cheapest variation, the 2QD Pro-Plus, I urge this consideration:

Standard line cost 349.00, Pan Gasket 50.00, (3) hours labor @ 100/hr: Total cost installed: 699.00
    2QD ProPlus Line Cost: 574.00, (1) hour labor @ 100/hr: Total cost installed: 674.00

I am not saying all situations or labor rates are equal and it will always work out that way, but the actual installed cost is virtually identical for the two line types. Not to mention, every time from then on service work is required, you continue to save time & money.

Enthusiast
    I already have the viper specialty (original standard design) in my garage. I am going to drop the oil pan no matter what, as my oil pan gasket has a slightly leak due to the last time the oil lines were replaced, they reused the old oil pan gasket. (previous owner went to the dealership).

So, who did you guys use?

Enthusiast
    I can see where your coming from. Perhaps thats how shops operate in the USA. Here in Canada, I say "I need oil lines replaced on a 2004 dodge viper, I have the parts supplied".... mechanic says "book says thats 4 hours @ 180 bucks an hour, total will be $720" then I say "but I have these deluxe lines that are really easy to install....it will only take you 1 hour" .... mechanic says "thats nice....our shop goes by the book". kinda sucks. I guess a guy would have to know a backyard mechanic and be able to pay him by the hour. So I am sure in some situations it will would work out great.

I can see future maint. being alot easier with the deluxe lines.

Tech Team

Quote Originally Posted by viper04blk View Post
    I can see where your coming from. Perhaps thats how shops operate in the USA. Here in Canada, I say "I need oil lines replaced on a 2004 dodge viper, I have the parts supplied".... mechanic says "book says thats 4 hours @ 180 bucks an hour, total will be $720" then I say "but I have these deluxe lines that are really easy to install....it will only take you 1 hour" .... mechanic says "thats nice....our shop goes by the book". kinda sucks. I guess a guy would have to know a backyard mechanic and be able to pay him by the hour. So I am sure in some situations it will would work out great.

I can see future maint. being alot easier with the deluxe lines.
    No dealer is going to charge book time on aftermarket parts- they know better, as 99% of the time it works out in reverse with them getting shafted. This is also what a service manager is for- explain the situation. I work with dealers every day, they are generally quite reasonable, and are more concerned about making a few bucks, than getting shafted themselves. Actual labor time ensures they make money, and they generally will utilize such a method on aftermarket assemblies.

Enthusiast
    I just had my wheel alignment done today. They charged me by the book.... 85 bucks (book says 30 minutes). Took the guy 3.5hours. No matter what, they are going to go by the book. Worked out great for me this time as it saved me a ton of cash.

But my motormounts were 5 hours (2.5 hours each) for a total of nearly 900 bucks to be installed. I went with my backyard mechanic and got it done for a couple hundred bucks as he is by the hour (and quick).

Some times going by the book works out great....sometimes it works against you. ALL dealerships here go by the book (toyota, GM, Dodge, and honda are the ones I have dealt with). I have tried talking them out of this many times, I have even shown youtube videos of whats required to prove how quick and easy my requests are.... it doesnt matter to them. They charge me by the book, and their mechanics gets paid by the book. The dealership CAN NOT lose money this way. The mechanics are the ones that either go home early with pay (becasue they are fast) or they dont make much cash that day (because they are slow).

The worst scenario I had to face was to have the cruise activated in my GM. I had printed instructions... they hooked up the handheld computer to my car, pushed 5 buttons, disconnected handheld computer... took 2 minutes all in. I had to pay for 2 hours - nearly 350 bucks... because thats what the book says. Alot cheaper then buying the handheld computer... but sucks.

Tech Team

Definitely not the way things work down here. If the dealer takes on a job on Book Time that is atypical, and the tech ends up short, the dealer fills in the gap and pays the tech actual time to complete, making it the dealers loss- hence why they don't take on jobs @ book time for specialty parts & cars. Obviously a standard job with Mopar parts need not apply. Techs down here have no problem walking from a job or saying no to money-losing book times, as they will have another job by the next day at a competing dealership.

Personally, I always prefer hourly, and always prefer to pay hourly. I am not looking to score, just get paid for my time. Likewise, I am not looking for a tech to EVER feel the need to rush a job I need done.
    Last edited by Viper Specialty; 05-13-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Enthusiast
    I wish I had access to your services

But until I find a way to get dual citizenship and move to the USA... i have to find a backyard mechanic that has done oil lines before that lives in my area.

Then, I will have to track down someone to swap out my gears in my diff. Local shops want book time at around 2000 bucks to swap the gears.

Enthusiast
    Hey viper04blk, where abouts in Alberta are you located??

Enthusiast
    St.albert

Enthusiast
    That's not far from where I am at. Where did you take your car for the wheel allignment?

Enthusiast
    I used factory oil cooler lines on my gen 3, bought from Chrysler dealer in the UK approx £200 or $300 if you prefer

Took the car to my friend at a local garage, they were replaced in an hour, and didn't take the oil pan off. I watched and helped, it seemed a much easier job than I expected. Labour £30 (mates rates )

Tech Team

Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    I used factory oil cooler lines on my gen 3, bought from Chrysler dealer in the UK approx £200 or $300 if you prefer

Took the car to my friend at a local garage, they were replaced in an hour, and didn't take the oil pan off. I watched and helped, it seemed a much easier job than I expected. Labour £30 (mates rates )
    OE lines are not the topic of conversation, aftermarket replacement lines are. The OE lines are a horrible design, and they will fail again in due time, hence why everyone converts over.

The OE lines are very easy to install, and are not that different from our Quick Disconnect lines in installation time. The more cost effective standard aftermarket replacement versions take considerably longer to install than OE or Aftermarket Quick Disconnect types.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    OE lines are not the topic of conversation, aftermarket replacement lines are. The OE lines are a horrible design, and they will fail again in due time, hence why everyone converts over.

The OE lines are very easy to install, and are not that different from our Quick Disconnect lines in installation time. The more cost effective standard aftermarket replacement versions take considerably longer to install than OE or Aftermarket Quick Disconnect types.
    Point taken Dan, they probably will fail again in time, and if they do I'll get the aftermarket items. I'm guessing my originals could have lasted 10 years as I have no invoices to prove otherwise. The OP didn't mention aftermarket lines, other people did.

I was going to buy your replacements, but you were in the middle of a move last October, so I was a bit stuck!

Where did you get your oil lines replaced? I wouldnt mind paying someone that has at least done it once before. Any suggestions on where to go?
    aaannnddddd i dont live in the UK heh

- - - Updated - - -

I bet a viper is ultra rare in the UK
    Very rare! This summer we are going to have the largest gathering in the UK, 31 cars expected - although over half of those are from mainland Europe
    Last edited by sonicbloo; 05-16-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Enthusiast
    aaannnddddd i dont live in the UK heh

- - - Updated - - -

I bet a viper is ultra rare in the UK

Enthusiast
    Have you looked at doing it yourself? It's really not that bad, and you get to learn more about your car while you do it.

Enthusiast
    I dont have much of a car lift. I dont wanna reach the point of no return and stuck with a car that cant leave the garage.

Enthusiast
    I dont have much of a car lift. I dont wanna reach the point of no return and stuck with a car that cant leave the garage.
    I totally understand. I can't really vouch for any shop in the Edmonton area since I do most of my own work. You could try calling Dale at Dawson Motors. I don't know if he has any experience on Vipers but he always did our work trucks without any issues.

The tough thing with providing your own parts is that most shops won't install parts that they didn't supply themselves (especially dealerships). I once had to call 5 shops before I found one that would install my parts for me.

Enthusiast
    Totally makes sense why a lot of shops won't install customer supplied parts. Especially aftermarket stuff. You get part way through a job and realize the parts are wrong or don't fit, and now you have to tell a customer they owe you for labour on a job you didn't complete. Crummy situation to be in as a business owner.

Derrick Dodge did my oil lines on my Gen3. Their service department is great and they treat me like gold every time I go in there. I've never had a complaint about nay of their work or service.

If I had a lift I would consider doing the job myself, but my garage isn't set up for much more than parking and basic jack jobs unfortunately.

Enthusiast
    you know the aprox price they charged you a Derrick Dodge?

Enthusiast
    you know the aprox price they charged you a Derrick Dodge?
    Sorry I have no idea now. That was a few years ago. I gave all the old service information to the new owner. But if you give them a call they can probably quote you right over the phone. Raylene is excellent to deal with in Service. Feel free to tell her Victor sent you there.

Enthusiast
    My mechanic was finally able to help me. Cost me 120 bucks to have it done. I am glad I waited instead of going to a dealership.