caravans ? from Maryland to NVE and / or Tyler Tx ?

Anyone from northeast with information on caravans to NVE or Tyler Tx from May 8th ?
    others from NY, PA, OH, Md, Va planning on driving ?

Mark Chatterton, Maryland 97 GTS..

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    There is a group leaving from the northeast that is stopping in Virginia one night and then meeting the Ohio group in Huntsville on that Monday night. I think there is a thread somewhere on it.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013

For those leading large caravans (like TX), we are putting in place a detail to help accommodate the arrival of such a large group (of them approx. 100 cars so far - holy cow!).

People need to check-in first to get their parking card before they can park - this is going to cause one heck of a traffic jam even in the tunnel dedicated to us. So we're planning a staging area to create a process to provide you your parking cards before you even check in. It'll allow you to park your car and then check in - saving an extra trip between the hotel and garage for you. It'll also break up the group a bit and avoid the vehicle log jam - that's the only downside of caravans. We will be able to accommodate those who need to drive their car to the hotel door, but want to avoid 100 cars wrapped around the block. ;.)

This only applies to those in massive caravans, for everyone else simple use the tunnel indicated in the "Before You Arrive" document. It does also highlight that you should not use the lobby of the hotel only because we want people to register with the club first so we can tell you how things work - and we have a special entrance for the event through the tunnel I mentioned.

One cool detail you'll notice - the parking garage will have a large LED sign at it's entrance that says "Viper Parking Garage".

New Orleans will definitely know we're there...

Enthusiast
    Alex, in reading your info above on the large groups arriving together, I'm assuming you mean for Wednesday arrival, yes? Our group should have about 50 cars arriving on Tuesday afternoon/evening so I think we're on our own to get parked in the garage and checked in.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013

Let me see if we can set up the same for you on Tuesday. We've actually accommodated early arrivals in a few ways relative to the track and other things, but this is a tough one because it's too soon for all the staff.

Easy solution for you in case it helps, I suggest you break your group up when you arrive. Perhaps hit a restaurant, and then have 15 people at a time head to the hotel (then give it 20 mins and do the next 15). It's not a big deal, but I just want folks to be comfortable and not fumbling to find a place to park. 50 cars is likely near 100 people, that's a lot of bodies! So consider splitting split things up with a simple gas stop or lunch just before the hotel (even if it's a few blocks). Your members will thank you. ;.)

It's the only downside of a caravan, when there's a funnel they all need to enter, it can be hectic and be less enjoyable when people are inconvenienced by masses of other people.

Enthusiast
    I'm sure we can figure it out on Tuesday. We have to pay for the extra day of parking separately anyway so we may be able to just have people go directly to the garage to park and then walk over to get checked in.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013

Hey, good point. You all need to individually get tickets for the garage for that night, so you could head straight to the garage (but I suggest you still consider a gas stop to break it up a bit just so people aren't in the street).

Enthusiast
    Yep, we'll put together some kind of plan. Thanks again for the heads up.

Enthusiast
    Is the track going to be open to park car trailers and will there be someone from the track direct us where to park??

Our group will be in the 100 car pack and if we go there first, that will help some of the traffic jam.

I'm working on a staging area for Tuesday and Wednesday caravan arrivals.... Stay tuned. Prefer to see you arrive in the 1-4pm time-slot both days.

Scott track will be open for trailer parking. I have people at the track directing. Prefer not to have cars stage at the track. Too much going on as it is. Working on a staging area for those in cars to head to. It's close to both hotel and parking.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOMISS View Post
    I'm working on a staging area for Tuesday and Wednesday caravan arrivals.... Stay tuned. Prefer to see you arrive in the 1-4pm time-slot both days.
    My preliminary estimates have us there in the 4-5pm time frame. That can fluctuate with a 440 mile / 6 hour drive.

Enthusiast
    Just let us know the details when you get them. Thanks

Scott track will be open for trailer parking. I have people at the track directing. Prefer not to have cars stage at the track. Too much going on as it is. Working on a staging area for those in cars to head to. It's close to both hotel and parking.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston

Ed,

Our 100 car conga line is targeting a 3 p.m. arrival time on Wednesday

Beth

I have been in contact with all caravan leaders. All the details are worked out!

Put your tray table in the stowed position, the captain has turned on the the seat belt indicator, sit back and relax, we are about to land this plane!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013

Knowing Beth is a track rat, I would strap that belt on extra tight... ;.)