Enthusiast

Gen II ride-height and alignment questions

Hello Viper faithful, thanks for checking out the post. I'm hoping you can help decide the ride height of my ride. I'm in the final stages of new brakes and a suspension overhaul, including lowering caps for the springs/shocks.

Per the manual, the car was loaded with 400 lbs and the shock/control arm bushings loosened. This ride height seems a bit low... Removing the weight raised the height from 1/4" to 3/8". I'm assuming once I find my desired ride height, I can add 3/8" (with car unloaded), and tighten things down from there.

Don't be lusting over my new 4 post lift that you'll see in the pics! Functional at best, it allows my ass to crawl under the car to adjust things as necessary.

Measurements are 1/2" higher in the rear than the front. Seems like a slight rake is good, and the manual calls this difference out.

First pic shows where measurements were taken, and are in inches. you'll notice the high-tech use of golf ball sticky notes to denote the ride height as measured.

Hoping you can add your opinions on the following matters:

1.) Which ride height do you like best? Looking for confirmation that my preference is not crazy... I haven't disclosed my preference.
    2.) Any noteworthy lessons you learned when adjusting your ride height?
    3.) What is "too low"? This car needs to make it to/from New Orleans pretty soon, I don't want to be the doofus who get's stuck going up the parking ramp.
    4.) Any alignment tweaks I should consider given the wheels/tire/suspension work??

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Measurement reference pic:

4 inch front.jpg

2" front x 2.5" rear:

2.5 x 2.jpg

2.5" front x 3" rear:

3 x 2.5.jpg

3" front x 3.5" rear:

3.5 x 3.jpg

3.5" front x 4: rear:

4 x 3.5.jpg

Enthusiast
    As low as possible without making the car useless is what I say.
    If you're comfortable with 2" front and 2.5" rear, and believe it's not a problem to drive on the street then you should go for it in my opinion.

V1P3R
    My vote is for 2 X 2.5

Enthusiast
    Looks to me like the best is 2.5/3.0 but, taking a closer look at the enlarged photo, with 3 in the rear, can you drop the front a touch more than 2.5? Maybe Im being nitpicky but a touch more rake might make all the difference.

Are you taking the car off the blocks each time and driving it? Without slip plates under the tires the car will not settle to the actual height you will get.

Hey thanks for the pics, makes for a good reference

low as possible. ride quality will be the same at any height. your issue is just ground & fender clearance. handling will improve the lower you go. and it just plain looks better when lowered

Enthusiast
    I know you mentioned lowering caps, but other than that, I was not aware you could get an inch of adjustment out of the factory control arms.