Engine bay detail

New owner here and am looking to detail the engine compartment on a Gen III. Is there anything that needs to be covered up before being sprayed with water? Also is there anything that can be used to darken up the engine mat with the viper logo? The engine isn't really too dirty so is a foam gun effective if I want to stay away from a degreaser???

I know these might be basic questions but don't want to mess anything up on my first detail....been religiously watching Junkman's videos but haven't found any on the viper compartment.....thanks for any advice!

Enthusiast
    I've been told to cover the alternator to avoid problems, but honestly the 2-3 times I've cleaned the engine, I haven't (and been lucky I guess). My Viper tech told me to put a piece of masking tape over the breather hole in the clutch fluid reservoir, which I do.

I use Adam's all-purpose cleaner at 50% (any good quality liquid degreaser should work), spray it on let it sit a few minutes, use a long bristles boars hair brush like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Woolies-...ars+hair+brush

To loosen up any heavier grease/oil, then gently rinse (high pressure not needed), repeat if necessary.

Then enjoy your results

PS. never wet a hot or warm engine!

Looks great!! and thanks for the tips! After you spray off, do you spray anything else on after dried to keep the satin shine on plastic/rubber?

Enthusiast
    FYI. I have burned up injectors on two different Dodge pickups by getting them wet. Not sure if it translates to the injectors on the viper though.

same soap you use on the outside of the car, no pressurized water to rinse, just a light mist. wipe up heavy water with nice towels and then blow dry the engine compartment.
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaminjs View Post
    Looks great!! and thanks for the tips! After you spray off, do you spray anything else on after dried to keep the satin shine on plastic/rubber?
    Like Plum said, I use a master baster to blow dry the engine compartment. Then I use Adam's VRT @ 50% where needed, but any good quality vinyl & rubber treatment should work.

Thanks all! Lots of good info on here

Enthusiast
    I just cover the alternator. Spray on purple power. Let it sit for a min and hose it off. Super clean every time.