Enthusiast

New Stereo System Install - GEN II RT/10

New Stereo System Install - GEN II RT/10

I put in a new head unit, new door component speakers, a new subwoofer, a new amp and all new wiring in my 2001 RT/10. I have tons of pictures.

Sony DSXS300BTX Digital Media Receiver
    Alpine Type-X SPX-17REF component speakers
    JL AUDIO 6W3V3-4 - Car subwoofer driver - 6"
    Alpine PDX F4 - Amplifier - 4-channel

I removed most of the interior...seats, knee blockers, front console, center console, rear bulkhead, door panels, driver side rear tire and wheel splash shield.

I kept all the OE wiring intact...just added new wiring everywhere. I ran the door speaker wiring in with the bundle that's already there. I did have to do some fabricating to the front door speaker mounts to get my speakers to fit. I had to increase the size of a hole that was in the top of the rear bulkhead so that all of the wiring could fit through it. The sub didn't have enough room, so I had a ring made that makes the sub protrude out of the rear bulkhead.

Here are some pictures...

I needed to keep the mounting brackets from the OE head unit so that I could install the new head unit...

I tapped these wires in the factory harness for my new head unit...

I ran the new wiring from the new head unit under the front and center consoles...

...and up under the rear bulkhead...

...through the wheel well area...

...and into the trunk...

The component speakers installed in the door panels...

The new wiring for the component speakers running through the door wiring bundle...

The new subwoofer ring so that the deeper subwoofer can be installled...

Enthusiast
    Here are some miscellaneous pictures...

Enthusiast
    Wow! I can't thank you enough for all these write-ups! I'd like to tackle this project next year. Your detailed pictures are a huge help!

Enthusiast
    I'm in the midst of tackling this now. My goal is to salvage the stock wiring and amp if possible. Any ideas on what the OEM head unit is really sending on each pin from the "feed connector" (molex) and audio connector (DIN)? And in regards to the door panel, do you recall what the stock setup is terms of wiring to the mid range and tweeter? Is there an inline crossover in the door panel from the factory?

Enthusiast
    I didn't pay a lot of attention to the OE wiring other than to splice in for the ACC, ILL and BAT. Does this answer your question...

Here's a link to some wiring info for vipers...

Dodge Wiring - Page 2

I don't recall any crossovers for the OE wiring in the door panels.

Enthusiast
    LIG always has the best write ups.

Enthusiast
    Now this is how it's done fellas! Excellent DIY!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dmerkle View Post
    ... Is there an inline crossover in the door panel from the factory?
    Yes, there is. However, it is the most simple one, a 1st order high pass realized by a single capacitor in series to the tweeter. The woofer is running full range.

Here are some pics of the stock tweeter wiring:

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Holy Canoli! What a fantastic DIY! Thank you!
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Enthusiast
    98RT, I totally agree! I finally grew a pair and took the door panel off and was suspecting that the little inline capacitor is all that there is to the high pass filtering, thanks for the insurance! Great pix too, that's awesome!
    Last edited by dmerkle; 12-15-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Enthusiast
    nice write up!

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the DIY thread on this LIG.

I am getting ready to tackle this upgrade (or have someone do it for me) for the 96' RT over Winter or Spring sometime. Have almost all the Pioneer Stage 4 components for a real top of the line system. Should be great and a vast improvement over the current set-up in the car which is an aftermarket systems as well.

Small request but did you do a DIY article for the "start/stop pushbutton?" I was thinking of adding that to my car as I loved it in my 06'. I am not normally one to hack up a car and really customize it but I bought this 96' RT used and well someone before me added a stereo to it and hacked up a couple of the interior panels in the process. I figure if they are hacked up now, there is nothing I can do any worse to them so I might as well clean them up in good taste and make the best of it.

Enthusiast
    I didn't do a DIY for the engine start button, but I did put one in my viper. I have a ton of pictures for it. I used Tim's DIY that's on the VCA website, but I no longer have access to that...here's it on the Viper Garage site...

S2000 Start Button Install for Gen 1/2

He used this DIY as his starting point...

S2000 Starter Button Install
    Last edited by LifeIsGood; 01-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Nice Write up!

Enthusiast
    Thanks!

Where di you get the aluminum ring for the speaker?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    Thanks for the DIY thread on this LIG.

I am getting ready to tackle this upgrade (or have someone do it for me) for the 96' RT over Winter or Spring sometime. Have almost all the Pioneer Stage 4 components for a real top of the line system. Should be great and a vast improvement over the current set-up in the car which is an aftermarket systems as well.

Small request but did you do a DIY article for the "start/stop pushbutton?" I was thinking of adding that to my car as I loved it in my 06'. I am not normally one to hack up a car and really customize it but I bought this 96' RT used and well someone before me added a stereo to it and hacked up a couple of the interior panels in the process. I figure if they are hacked up now, there is nothing I can do any worse to them so I might as well clean them up in good taste and make the best of it.
    I did the S2000 Engine Start Button, but did not want to drill into my dash, I put mine in place of the current cigarette lighter socket (and then bought a couple of accessory sockets which I mounted in the roof of the centre console glove box). However the How To Guide is incomplete for installing the S2000 Engine Start Button as it does not address where you get a live power supply from. LIG (Ken) came to my rescue on this matter and I finally purchased a "Fused link" which plugs into the yellow fuse board under the dash.
    Thread Here with pics
    http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...e+start+button
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 08-10-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Enthusiast
    Great write up...

Love the attention to detail.

I meant to ask, what are we using to replace the rivets holding the inner fender to the body??

Finished my install and this thread helped out tremendously!!!! Thanks OP if your still on the forums!!

Enthusiast
    I can't wait to do this. The stereo in my RT/10 is just garbage. Subscribing for future reference, THANKS!!!!

BTW i just mad a spacer and installed this JL audio 6.5" subwoofer in the same location and HOLY CRAP!!! This thing sounds INCREDIBLE compared to the old stock system!!! Im running JL audio 6.5" components in the doors and this sub and a Rockford Fosgate amplifier with room for expansion and it sounds ridiculously amazing!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootRT10 View Post
    I can't wait to do this. The stereo in my RT/10 is just garbage. Subscribing for future reference, THANKS!!!!
    The only way to do it right is to replace everything..

Enthusiast
    There has been a hack job on my 2001. Can I just hook up to the om wires with a new alpine? Someone chopped them and now I need to connect some new and I'm guessing I can connect to the pink/red white/ orange directly? But I feel like there is something more like to the black yellow/ green red...? Any help is appreciated.

Enthusiast
    I actually am just having trouble getting the amp. To power. I ran everything right it's just no power.