powdercoat? or sell my chrome rattler rims????

I am not a fan of my chrome rattler rims but not sure if a black chrome powder coat will last or look good with the GTS blue its either that or trade and buy new rims hyper black sidewinders? has anyone powder coated theirs?

Enthusiast
    Hopefully someone will chime in, but when I last looked, the aftermarket "black chrome" powdercoats did not really impress me. And the true black chromers are virtually non-existent and only do small parts.

One solution that you might consider trying to see if you'll like your rattler rims in a different color would be to plastidip them. Lots of different colors and options - and the key to a good outcome is to properly prep the wheels before spraying them. I've had my wheels dipped for over 3 years now when I was debating on how black wheels would look on my Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Hopefully someone will chime in, but when I last looked, the aftermarket "black chrome" powdercoats did not really impress me. And the true black chromers are virtually non-existent and only do small parts.

One solution that you might consider trying to see if you'll like your rattler rims in a different color would be to plastidip them. Lots of different colors and options - and the key to a good outcome is to properly prep the wheels before spraying them. I've had my wheels dipped for over 3 years now when I was debating on how black wheels would look on my Viper.
    I've heard about plastidip but still not sure what colors would look good with the gts blue any ideas lol? its around 500$ to get them powder coated which is a lot cheaper than buying new factory rims but its irreversible lol so if I don't like it I'm stuck lol do you have a better picture of your rims?

Powder coating is not irreversible - but is time consuming (and fancy chemicals) to undo - so probably expensive.

I did an old set of chrome CCW's when I first got my car. They were not in the greatest shape chrome wise. If you PREP correctly, and follow the Dip instructions, you will be amazed by the results. You can also buy a "glossifier" as they call it to give them a gloss finish. The key is to take your time. Also, with Dip, soak all the cans in VERY warm water before use. It evens out the spray and you won't get a orange peel look. Same for the clear.

It should cost you less then $100 with gloss to do all your wheels. If hate it, peel it off and try another color or sell them.

Enthusiast
    Ummm. I love the rattlers. You could sell to a good home in Nebraska! I have been looking

Enthusiast
    dipyourcar.com has a forum section with a lot of information. Lots of videos and pics. Impressive what people have dipped.

Vinyl wrapping your wheels is option.

Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) is a better option than tradition chroming. To me anyways. Google black chrome pvd wheels.

Tim

Enthusiast
    Plasti dip looks cheap.

I would powdercoat them bronze. Unique look and looks good on blue cars.

HERE
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 03-25-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Enthusiast
    Yes you can remove powder coating. I had it done twice on a gen 3 intake manifold after I had a chip in it the first time and the second time I wasn't content with the powder coat work since it had some pitting. The first shop used sandblasting and the second shop used a chemical process. Cost $30 and $70 for removal which would probably be similar cost for having 1 wheel done.