Pirelli Clearance Question

I have a 1996 RT/10 wearing 2004 wheels (19" on the rear, 18" on the front) and Michelin Pilot Sports.

I read about the Pirelli deal and the consensus seemed to be that the Pirellis would be fine even though slightly different in dimensions.

Well, the new tires are mounted and the wheels back on the car and I'm concerned about the clearance between the rear tires and the front edge of the rear wheel wells.

As you can see by the photos I have about 1/4" on the right and barely 1/8" on the left.
    2016-02-07 New Tires 2.jpg2016-02-07 New Tires 4.jpg
    Are the tires going to scrape every time the car bounces?

Is there anything I can do to flatten out that section of the wheel well to get more clearance?

Enthusiast
    I put them on my 18/19 and I'm have problems with them rubbing fender lip on big bumps nowhere else thou. I'm only have caps.

Enthusiast
    Doesn't look like they'll get any closer with up/down movement. Should be ok?

Enthusiast
    I would be surprised if they do not rub.

Quote Originally Posted by braunstein82 View Post
    I put them on my 18/19 and I'm have problems with them rubbing fender lip on big bumps nowhere else thou. I'm only have caps.
    Is your car lowered?

Mine looks like it has plenty of room between the tires and the fender lip.2016-02-07 Black Wheels 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    Doesn't look like they'll get any closer with up/down movement. Should be ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasvenom View Post
    I would be surprised if they do not rub.
    I'll put pieces of tape on those sections of the wheel wells, drive it around and see what happens.

I'll be back.

Enthusiast
    I had the Pirellis on a set of Sidewinders on my 97. My car is lowered on Eibachs and never rubbed.

2016-02-13 Clearance 1.jpg2016-02-13 Clearance 2.jpgI drove around for about a half hour this afternoon, even got on the highway, got home, parked in the garage, went into the house and two hours later remembered that I wanted to check the clearance.

I was amazed to see that I now have more clearance than I had before.

How did that happen?

Did the tires shrink?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonajack View Post
    2016-02-13 Clearance 1.jpg2016-02-13 Clearance 2.jpgI drove around for about a half hour this afternoon, even got on the highway, got home, parked in the garage, went into the house and two hours later remembered that I wanted to check the clearance.

I was amazed to see that I now have more clearance than I had before.

How did that happen?

Did the tires shrink?
    Guessing the first set of photos were taken immediately after mounting the wheels and lowering the car without driving or rolling the car. That would mean the tires were binding against the ground and the suspension hadn't completely settled yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LATAMUD View Post
    Guessing the first set of photos were taken immediately after mounting the wheels and lowering the car without driving or rolling the car. That would mean the tires were binding against the ground and the suspension hadn't completely settled yet.
    Makes sense.

I'm happy with the results.