Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Gen 5 ACR halo seat

Hi Everyone,

Just placed a deposit for a 2016 ACR. 95% of the use will be track days and driving to/from the track. I have been doing HPDE for the past 3 years and renting race cars for track sessions. Last season I started driving at speeds where g-forces were starting to cause a lot of neck strain (and pain). I have a carbon fiber helmet and it helps somewhat, but I have a herniated disc in my neck and with ACR having much more grip and much higher cornering speeds than cars I was driving previously, I was hoping to put in a halo seat, which would allow me to rest the helmet against the lateral support, thus avoiding neck strain. I spoke to Mark Jorgensen @ Woodhouse yesterday and he told me that most racing seats would not fit, and having a slider is out of the question due to limited height. There are a few other limitations. One is that I dont really want to start cutting interior pieces to make a racing seat fit. Another one is that whatever seat I get needs to be compatible with a HANS device.

At this point I am sh1tting bricks because without the halo seat every track session in the ACR will result in a lot of pain and misery in the following week. I am really doing this for fun and enjoyment, so the less pain I endure the better.

I found 2 other posts about racing seats here, but they refer to Gen 4 and/or VCC setups and I have no idea how similar/different cockpits are between Gen 4 and 5 (let alone VCC). Those posts mention Race Tech seats, so I looked a their web site. I am 5'11" and 35 waist, so unfortunately I am right in the center of their sizing chart (meaning its not clear if I need their Standard, Tall or Wide & Tall option. And of course their nearest dealer is 358 miles away from me.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Eugene

Have you tried using a HANS or something similar instead of a seat swap? I know in my drag car it won't let me head move much at all

Enthusiast
    I dont yet have a HANS device (ordering it next month, will have it before the car arrives), but I was pretty sure that HANS does not affect lateral (side to side) movement of the head. It only prevents forward movement during the impact, so it won't do anything to relieve neck strain while cornering. Are you saying you cannot tilt your head side to side when you are wearing HANS in your drag car?

Enthusiast
    ek1, Iv'e been trying for 3 years to find a proper seat and have been unsuccessful. Please keep us informed if you can find a solution. CJ has said he has a Race Seat but has not specified what it is, maybe he can give some info here. Best, Allan

Enthusiast
    Oh boy....and here I thought this was going to be a matter of taking stock seats out, buying a couple of racing seats and bolting them in.

The sad part is that some pictures I saw indicates that there is a halo seat that fits the Viper, although its installed in GTS-R and GT3-R:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/...t-viper-gts-r/
    http://www.mopargarage.net/images/DSC_9129_1_.jpg

Apparently those seats fit even with a roll cage installed (which I am not going to have), so there is a glimmer of hope, but I already see where this is going.

I sent out a feeler to the SRT guys about the track record cars seat, like I told you I won't likely hear till next week though. If there is a solution they will have it just need to wait to hear.

Enthusiast
    Thanks, Mark. I have faith in you

If the seat does not work out, try one of the old style doughnut shaped neck supports along with the HANS device. I used one of these in a Can-AM car in the pre HANS days. They do a reasonable job of holding your head upright in high G corners. Most safety equipment suppliers still make them and the cost is minimal. Circle track racers use them a lot.

Check out Butler Racing Seats, or the Allison built Racing Seats.....

Enthusiast
    Unless you are built like "a hockey stick with hair" nothing is going to fit unless you remove the inner door panel, and even then you have limited choices.
    Comp Coupes, the GT3 cars not only had the door panel removed but also the inside door structure. Basically leaving and outer skin and the perimeter structure.

Have you considered the helmet tethers like the dirt racers use? They control side to side movement quite well.

Enthusiast
    The Viper interior is already so cramped. I could barely get my helmet on unless I dipped my head over into the center console/pass side to put it on. I'm 6' tall so maybe that's the reason I don't know.

Good luck finding a racing seat- I hope you fine what you are looking for.

Enthusiast
    EK1, if you want a halo seat then the Racetech is your best bet. They came standard in the comp coupe and the G4 ACR-X.

The interior dimensions of both those vipers should be close to your G5, keeping in mind the door panel has been gutted. Any fit issues will be on the drivers side.

To keep the fit better, you'll probably want the standard size vs, the wide.

I have a cobra seat in my G4, a wide version. To make it fit, in the stock door panel, a seat guy reshaped the upper and lower side bolsters (basically took some out but restitched it back all correctly)

Take a look at the picture, non-halo version, the upper bolster can be trimmed (look closely), so can the lower if there is a clearance issue. The most critical fit is the halo on the drivers side, can't trim that much.

As Mark of others have said, you won't have easy adjust ability. On mine, I have 1 1/2 of travel, but it requires unbolting the frame rails and adjusting. I'm 5'10, 36 in waist and we were able to position the seat great.

The key is finding someone who has fabrication skills and then figuring out a good location (forward/back as well as height and angle).

One note of caution, I was considering the Racetech halo, but a few folks advised me that it would be difficult on the street with visibility. Good luck and enjoy your new ACR!! Mike

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackratViper View Post
    If the seat does not work out, try one of the old style doughnut shaped neck supports along with the HANS device. I used one of these in a Can-AM car in the pre HANS days. They do a reasonable job of holding your head upright in high G corners. Most safety equipment suppliers still make them and the cost is minimal. Circle track racers use them a lot.
    I've been using the doughnut for the past 2 years. It definitely helps, but not as much as head restraints in the halo seat.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
    Check out Butler Racing Seats, or the Allison built Racing Seats.....
    Butler seats look good! I will be contacting them once Mark hears back from SRT guys. Unfortunately, these seats seem to have some side protrusions (probably structural reinforcements) that will definitely hit the door panel.

I could not find anything about Allison seats. Is that a racing boat thing?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
    Unless you are built like "a hockey stick with hair" nothing is going to fit unless you remove the inner door panel, and even then you have limited choices.
    Comp Coupes, the GT3 cars not only had the door panel removed but also the inside door structure. Basically leaving and outer skin and the perimeter structure.

Have you considered the helmet tethers like the dirt racers use? They control side to side movement quite well.
    Steve, no unfortunately I am not built like that I am somewhere in the middle between the hockey stick and a professional wrestler (probably same as 90% of people). For some reason I thought that as long as the racing seat is the same width as the stock seat, it should fit. Of course, the trick is finding that seat.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by acrvprc View Post
    EK1, if you want a halo seat then the Racetech is your best bet. They came standard in the comp coupe and the G4 ACR-X.

The interior dimensions of both those vipers should be close to your G5, keeping in mind the door panel has been gutted. Any fit issues will be on the drivers side.

To keep the fit better, you'll probably want the standard size vs, the wide.

I have a cobra seat in my G4, a wide version. To make it fit, in the stock door panel, a seat guy reshaped the upper and lower side bolsters (basically took some out but restitched it back all correctly)

Take a look at the picture, non-halo version, the upper bolster can be trimmed (look closely), so can the lower if there is a clearance issue. The most critical fit is the halo on the drivers side, can't trim that much.

As Mark of others have said, you won't have easy adjust ability. On mine, I have 1 1/2 of travel, but it requires unbolting the frame rails and adjusting. I'm 5'10, 36 in waist and we were able to position the seat great.

The key is finding someone who has fabrication skills and then figuring out a good location (forward/back as well as height and angle).

One note of caution, I was considering the Racetech halo, but a few folks advised me that it would be difficult on the street with visibility. Good luck and enjoy your new ACR!! Mike

Mike, these are great suggestions. I was thinking the same thing (trimming things here and there without compromising protection/safety) or even finding a company that makes custom seats.

As far as Racetech seats go, I am smack in the middle of their sizing chart, so theoretically a standard version should be OK. Looks like the slider is out of a question due to height issues, but at the same time the ACR has adjustable pedals and steering wheel, which should somewhat eliminate the need for a slider.

I realize that a halo seat will pretty much eliminate all side visibility, but it still allows you to see all mirrors and I am planning to get one of those huge racing mirrors (either curved or multi-panel) that clip on the stock mirror, which should help. The bigger problem with the halo is that I heard it makes it impossible to exit the vehicle if the door does not open, so its a safety issue as well.

I'm sorry it's not the Allison Family its the Lajoie seats.

Enthusiast
    Has anyone tried Kirkey?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/

The 71 series fits in a Lotus Elise. hmm?
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...ntainment-Seat
    Last edited by fuggles; 02-07-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fuggles View Post
    Has anyone tried Kirkey?

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/

The 71 series fits in a Lotus Elise. hmm?
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...ntainment-Seat
    Just checked them out. Looks good in pictures, although some pieces (like the contraption that joins the halo part with the rest of the seat) will most likely not fit. Having said that, one of my instructors gave me a ride in a Lotus Exige (with race seats) and that has got to be THE most cramped interior I've ever been in, so whatever seat fits in a Lotus, MUST fit in a Viper.

I got this reply today from someone that had seats in the ACR, this is his description.

Mark,

They were custom Sparco Evo Carbon seats with custom narrow shoulder wing support to clear the door without having to cut off the seat shoulder wing. **Otherwise the seat’s left shoulder support wing needs to be cut (and the fabric seat cover sewn closed to match) to clear the driver door.* *Our seats were pretty narrow to begin with…… wider seats probably have a bigger clearance problem.

Seat mounting was the factory track & adjuster (with clearance in the seat butt pocket as necessary) to get the seat at the right height & angle.* On some vehicles we also custom made stationary seat brackets to bolt to the floor in stock bolt holes depending on the vehicle.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
    Just checked them out. Looks good in pictures, although some pieces (like the contraption that joins the halo part with the rest of the seat) will most likely not fit. Having said that, one of my instructors gave me a ride in a Lotus Exige (with race seats) and that has got to be THE most cramped interior I've ever been in, so whatever seat fits in a Lotus, MUST fit in a Viper.
    https://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp

There were special seat made specifically for the SRT groups ACR they are not off the shelf seats... I did get some good info on mounting and a contact that can maybe help with the seat, but they do not offer a Halo seat in that configuration at this time. The seat bottom has to be flat not dished like most race seats or else the seat will sit to high. Sounds like there are a lot of variables and it will not be an easy bolt in using a slider. On the other hand if you can get a seat with narrow enough shoulder extensions so it does not rub the doors you could just build a steel plate that attaches to the stock holes in the floor and directly bolt the seat and bracket to it, will not move easy though.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS-14 View Post
    Not halo as per OP requirement.

Nice seat though.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fuggles View Post
    Not halo as per OP requirement.

Nice seat though.
    Yeah, too bad..they do look nice. Like I said before, the only reason I want a racing seat to begin with is to I can rest the helmet against the head support. Otherwise, I am getting a 6-point harness anyway, so I should not have a problem staying in the stock seat during cornering.

Enthusiast
    Racetech make a Viper specific seat. It's what came in the X's and CC's. I believe they were just RT4009HR's with the Viper logo on them. Tom Francis would be who I would call. http://racetech-usa.com/shop/RT4009HRV-motorsport-seats

I love mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast