Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Custom roll bar installed in ACR

Hi guys,

I installed a roll bar fabricated by Ross Murray of Exoticraft in SoCal. It is a beautiful piece, very strong and looks almost factory. It mounts to factory holes in the frame, with the exception of two holes that you must drill out to enlarge them. It just touches the headliner without crushing it, just what I wanted. It is also safely a few inches behind the seat headrest to prevent head contact in the event of collision. Visibility is still pretty good, and plenty of room for luggage.

Ross typicality installs these himself as there is some fabrication work required. He recommends having a fab shop install them, but I'm fairly handy so I did it myself. Here are some pics of the finished product. I'll follow with another post with step by step photos.

IMG_1142 by solomontodd, on Flickr

IMG_1143 by solomontodd, on Flickr

IMG_1147 by solomontodd, on Flickr

Enthusiast
    Here's the roll bar, powder coated and ready for install:

IMG_1126 by solomontodd, on Flickr

Instructions:

1. Remove seats. Very tricky, you have to recline it just right, pivot it out, then roll it as shown...

IMG_1116 by solomontodd, on Flickr

IMG_1117 by solomontodd, on Flickr

2. Mark where you need to cut in the body panel. I used wide masking tape, which is just wider than the 1-3/4" roll bar...

IMG_1118 by solomontodd, on Flickr

3. Cut and remove the pieces. Save these, later you'll trim them to size and put them back in after roll bar is installed.

IMG_1121 by solomontodd, on Flickr

4. Rear supports go through these factory holes. Drill them out to accept the 1/2" diameter bolts that come with roll bar...

IMG_1123 by solomontodd, on Flickr

5. The hole is directly above the rear coil overs, you can access this area to install the locknuts...

IMG_1129 by solomontodd, on Flickr

6. Install roll bar and torque fasteners. Notice that on the driver's side, I used Teamtech shoulder harness eye bolts. Holes didn't line up perfectly due to weld distortion, so my friend and I had to persuade them. I was expecting this, we got though it fine...

IMG_1132 by solomontodd, on Flickr

7. Tape in interior panel pieces that you previously removed. I used Gorilla Tape, a very strong duct tape...

IMG_1139 by solomontodd, on Flickr

8. All done

IMG_1140 by solomontodd, on Flickr

Very nice, thanks for the write-up

Enthusiast
    Looks great.

You said there is room for your noggin in the event of an on street (helmet less) collision? That's always a concern of mine when I see rollbars. Definitely looks like it's got some room. Definitely looks factory, in a good way.

Nicely done! I'm curious, is this a requirement at some tracks or is this an additional safety feature that you desire for peace of mind?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACR View Post
    Very nice, thanks for the write-up
    Thanks, glad to help

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vprbite View Post
    Looks great.

You said there is room for your noggin in the event of an on street (helmet less) collision? That's always a concern of mine when I see rollbars. Definitely looks like it's got some room. Definitely looks factory, in a good way.
    Yes, Ross made a few of these before mine and perfected the design to ensure there's no way your head could touch it in a collision. It's a concern of mine too, this set up is safe for the street.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ 2B Green View Post
    Nicely done! I'm curious, is this a requirement at some tracks or is this an additional safety feature that you desire for peace of mind?
    The ACR is faster than many race cars, certainly a lot faster than my Mustang race car. I hit 139 mph on the straight at Laguna Seca so I really felt the need for more protection.

I wear a Necksgen head and neck restraint and use a 6 point harness which forces your head upright (unlike a factory 3 point belt), and in the event of a rollover your melon can get squished if the roof caves in.

Plus, one of the clubs that I track with has a race car group which requires a roll bar, so now I can run with them.

Enthusiast
    I thought there was an intergral roll bar already built into the G5 Viper...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    Yes good for stock but not as beefy as it could be for the track. For a high speed rollover this will fit the bill.

Enthusiast
    I wondered how long it would be before someone started making these for a Gen V Looks great adds to the race car look

Two things do come to mind, Would this Roll bar get track approval?
    Also the whole point of the ACR's is to shed weight, (no hood liner, no carpet in the boot) and yet here is a big bit of metal that you add to the car! Do you know how heavy it is?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    I agree on my factor tour they showed me the roll bar from the factory. On the ACR's they even reinforced these I was told. Would this get track approval?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    I wondered how long it would be before someone started making these for a Gen V Looks great adds to the race car look

Two things do come to mind, Would this Roll bar get track approval?
    Also the whole point of the ACR's is to shed weight, (no hood liner, no carpet in the boot) and yet here is a big bit of metal that you add to the car! Do you know how heavy it is?
    The roll bar has very short tubes, which make it very strong yet light. We are fortunate that the Viper's frame comes across right behind our shoulders so the tubes don't have to be long. I didn't weigh it but I would estimate 25 Lb, a good tradeoff for the safety it yields.

Quote Originally Posted by docwviper View Post
    I agree on my factor tour they showed me the roll bar from the factory. On the ACR's they even reinforced these I was told. Would this get track approval?
    As for track approval, it gets me into the race car group of the Shelby Club, but serious organizations like the SCCA and NASA require more than a basic roll hoop. Not a roll bar but a full cage, with tons of gusseting. Here's a picture of my SCCA approved Mustang race car. Not the best picture of the cage, but you get the idea. What you can't see are the bars and bracing by the doors and overhead. This is why I view my roll bar as the minimum protection, mainly just to keep the roof from coming down in the event of a roll over but not near as safe as a certified cage.

My ACR is much faster than my Mustang and will see mostly track use, so I just want to be safe if something goes wrong.

image by solomontodd, on Flickr

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    The roll bar has very short tubes, which make it very strong yet light. We are fortunate that the Viper's frame comes across right behind our shoulders so the tubes don't have to be long. I didn't weigh it but I would estimate 25 Lb, a good tradeoff for the safety it yields.

As for track approval, it gets me into the race car group of the Shelby Club, but serious organizations like the SCCA and NASA require more than a basic roll hoop. Not a roll bar but a full cage, with tons of gusseting. Here's a picture of my SCCA approved Mustang race car. Not the best picture of the cage, but you get the idea. What you can't see are the bars and bracing by the doors and overhead. This is why I view my roll bar as the minimum protection, mainly just to keep the roof from coming down in the event of a roll over but not near as safe as a certified cage.

My ACR is much faster than my Mustang and will see mostly track use, so I just want to be safe if something goes wrong.

I totally get it. Would love to do that to my ACR but no clue who to trust to get the job done right.

Enthusiast

I didn't know the shelby club required a roll bar?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by docwviper View Post
    I didn't know the shelby club required a roll bar?
    In NorCal, they have a race run group, which has very fast cars in it, no street cars to speak of. Less crowded than the rest of the run groups and good drivers. Roll bar gets me in.

the NorCal Shelby Club has unlimited dB days at Laguna Seca more often than most organizations and they are a fun group to run with. Mostly hopped up Mustangs with a few Shelby Cobras and Vipers sprinkled in!

Venom- you continue to impress!! Go fast AMIGO!!

Enthusiast

Got it, thanks for the feedback, Loving the Pic of the Mustang, Awesome

Bruce H.
    Great job Todd! Looking good.

Very nice work.

Enthusiast
    Yes good for stock but not as beefy as it could be for the track. For a high speed rollover this will fit the bill.
    Meh, wrecks give ya character : ) how is it working out? I know you drive on the street a lot. Street visibility still ok? Or, as good as it needs to be?

How have your track days been? Or are you taking a break during the summer? Out here racing (horse or car) kinda takes a hiatus as it is less fun to race when it's 111 out.

Thanks for the write up. Im sure it will help a lot of the ACR guys. You can never really be too safe in while out there on the track.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for posting! What is the cost of the bar?
    Last edited by steve911; 07-11-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Enthusiast
    was your rear vision affected much?

Enthusiast
    Any cost estimates for the bar yet?

Nice looking bar. I'm sure that it will get you by on the Drag Strip.
    Is this mild steel or is it molly ? What is the diameter, and thickness of the
    bolt on ? Have you weighed your car with the driver in it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast