Gen3 factory wheels

Does anyone know if the Viper's factory wheels are powdercoated clear?

I'm thinking about getting my stock 10 spoke wheels powdercoated gloss black to match my car. According to the powder coating place, the cost is dependent on the factory finish.

It's double for powdercoated clear wheels because the finish must be chemically removed as opposed to media blasting them (if they are not factory powder coated.)

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Enthusiast
    My understanding is the wheels are polished aluminum and clear coated like the car.

Enthusiast
    I would also like info on this.... i am gonna get a price quote on powder coating the stock rims. I cant find affordable aftermarket rims ANYWHERE.

Enthusiast
    There is a set of Chromed gen 3/4 wheels in the classifieds , less maintenance than the clear coat and really pops off. fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by viper04blk View Post
    I would also like info on this.... i am gonna get a price quote on powder coating the stock rims. I cant find affordable aftermarket rims ANYWHERE.
    I found the same problem - no one has REASONABLY priced wheels that fit Vipers.

Anyway, FWIW I looked into powder coating and found that since our wheels are aluminum it is recommended the powder-coater use low temp cure powder coat. But in my neck of the woods, no one has it. The everyday typical powder coat used by most powder coat shops has to be cured at 400-450 degrees and that could cause problems with the integrity of aluminum wheels. Sure, plenty of people do it with no concern, but most people aren't doing it to 500+ HP cars and I really don't like the notion of a wheel prematurely failing due to the heat stress that takes place during the curing process. There's a bit of debate regarding the curing temps and the problems it causes with aluminum wheels so take that for what it's worth.

The thought that wheel companies offer aluminum wheels that are powder coated came to mind, but I've read responses in which they say they have full control of the curing processes and know the right powders/temps to use.

I then contacted local PC shops in my area and found they all use the higher temperature (cheaper cost) powder. A couple of them said they could get the lower temp powder but a minimum order for the powder runs them $400 and they didn't want to order that much and have it in their inventory. They also said the lower cure powder wasn't as durable - they didn't directly address my concerns with the high cure temps and aluminum wheels but, they didn't act at all surprised about what I was saying, either.

Anyway, I ended up taking off my wheels and took the time to properly scuff and then paint mine with VHT Wheel paint Gloss black/clear. IMO and some friends, they turned out fantastic - at least for now. I'll have to give it some time to see how the finish holds up.

Enthusiast
    J TNT , i cant stand chrome. Thats why I want to powder coat my factory wheels