Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
    He explained that he had negative equity in the BMW. After being in the hole for $6K, I assume the rest was tax maybe?
    Ah that makes sense, I read it thinking he currently has 6k negative equity in the viper but it's probably more like $20k negative now in that loan.

Hopefully he will chime in again soon. Regardless it is a beautiful car, but then again, I may be biased towards Adrenaline Red....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    How do you "deal with" excessive oil consumption?
    Possibly replace the engine. I'm just saying driving like that is probably going to burn more and excasterbate e problem.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
    Vprbite, Cmon man. He is saying he is going through 1qt of oil every 800 miles. That's a lot of oil for such little miles and your not "shocked". I understand some people's loyalty to our cars, but when the car has issues it shouldn't be having, then the car has issues. Let's not always blame it on break in and other scapegoats.
    I only meant that the things I metioned were making it worse and more noticible. Not that they were the only reason. Just thay they were gonna turn the volume up on the problem. I suppose I could have been more clear about my point. That's it. I wasn't blindly defending the car. Just saying that those habits are gonna burn more oil than not.
    Last edited by Vprbite; 10-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    Is this trolling or serious. I can't tell
    I read it about 4 times before I decided "serious".

Which is why I only gave my opinion on the oil consumption. On everything else I went the the "if you can't say something nice" policy.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    Maybe he had the cash to buy the car outright but decided to invest the money instead with the intention of only having to beat 2.49% on the investment to make it worth getting a loan. I just want to know how a 79k car ends up being 94k out the door, that doesn't add up. We're probably getting trolled here but it's entertaining.
    Do the math on the life of the loan and it only comes out to a total of 25% interest on the value of the car. Financing car upside down values...always a good choice. Why finance something once when you can finance it twice? Yeah I made a wise ass joke but... Bottom line, he didn't ask me to borrow the money so it's his choice how to finance it. It isn't the choice I would make but I didn't have to make it. Good luck dude. Set aside some miney for maintenence (remember these cars have black boxes so they will know what you do.) and please be safe. Seriously please be safe.
    Last edited by Vprbite; 10-17-2015 at 09:52 PM.

If I had his means when I was 24 (there was no Viper yet though in 1987) I may have made some interesting choices as well. From what he describes, it's only a matter of time until there is an issue. To the OP: please listen to our advice, and use decent judgment when driving. And start a service record now, and get that oil consumption on record.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    If I had his means when I was 24 (there was no Viper yet though in 1987) I may have made some interesting choices as well. From what he describes, it's only a matter of time until there is an issue. To the OP: please listen to our advice, and use decent judgment when driving. And start a service record now, and get that oil consumption on record.
    Thanks for all the responses guys, definitely not a troll thread..... lol

And as for the money I could have bought the car outright but have decided that putting money into a depreciating asset wouldn't be the wisest thing to do....I sell cars for a living and I understand economic choices.

Sorry if the initial post was to detailed, I'm just very excited. And in regards to oil consumption test it is currently being done as we speak with a new oil change, I have changed oil 2 times since owning car, once as soon as I got it and then again. Now this is the 3rd time because of the consumption issue.

The car came out to 94k OTD because at ~80k selling price add another 8k in taxes = 88k+6k boom. 94k otd. Good ol' California.

I currently owe about ~84 on it as I pay extra monthly.

I'm sorry if I insinuated I put public lifes in danger on the road, I typically never exhibit speed in busy or possible bad case scenarios. Most of my spirited driving comes very EARLY or LATE in the mornings/night when roads are next to dead.

I have a bit of mechanical sympathy as well that keeps me treating the car well, I'm just a spirited driver.. Not like the old fart in the 10 second vette that does 15mph under the speed limit

Since having the car I have had these issues:

Fading on driver seat of Sepia leather dye (Being replaced with new leather as we speak under warranty)

Door regulators in both doors causing the windows to hit the door sill when opening and closing door (Covered under warranty)

Seat Bolts were also loose, very odd. And they have tightened to torque spec..

Center console flip up in between seats latch had broken and ENTIRE console was replaced (Would have 2500$ out of warranty, replaced)

Everything else has been golden!

I'm expecting the oil consumption is probably the result of my spirited driving..

Thanks guys,

J.C.

Enthusiast
    I think that is a lot of oil, even for your driving style. But yes, it's making it worse. Also, don't pound on the car before its a warmed up. That is a lot of engine up there to get lubricated and gravity has been pulling the oil downward since you were parked so you want to get that oil flowing again and loosened up a bit before you go driving at redline.

Quote Originally Posted by Vprbite View Post
    I only meant that the things I metioned were making it worse and more noticible. Not that they were the only reason. Just thay they were gonna turn the volume up on the problem. I suppose I could have been more clear about my point. That's it. I wasn't blindly defending the car. Just saying that those habits are gonna burn more oil than not.
    Your absolutely right. It will make it worse.

Thanks for the update. However, I also think that your consumption is too high, even for your driving style. There have been many posts here about how these cars use oil, and a couple engines lost because of low oil levels. Now that it is changed and full, check it EVERY 100 miles (keep a logbook, I do) and see exactly how much you are using.

I think that is a lot of oil, even for your driving style. But yes, it's making it worse. Also, don't pound on the car before its a warmed up. That is a lot of engine up there to get lubricated and gravity has been pulling the oil downward since you were parked so you want to get that oil flowing again and loosened up a bit before you go driving at redline.
    Yes I always give it a good 3 minutes before driving to warm up. Definitely feel it's a lot of oil as well and am concerned and going to ride out the oil consumption test to see what's up.

I owned my Viper at 27 but yeah this smells a bit of trolling now lol!

Guys, be happy for the guy and don't look to judge how he manages his finances. That's really none of our business. He is obviously excited about the car and that's what the post was about. Be happy for him.

Op: Congrats and I hope you enjoy the car.

Enthusiast
    When I was 24 I bought an H1 for 140 grand, back when that was a lot, and Hummers were expensive. Back then they gave away free money in Canada too, much like you guys seem to be getting in the US now for car loans. The interest here is much higher on cars now for whatever reason. But I still have it, and love that old POS, so I guess it worked out for me.

It's easy for me to talk about buying with cash or buy nothing these days, because I can, but looking back on that purchase, I could have done a lot worse at the time...... like buying any brand new pickup truck or luxury car, whose resale falls in half in a couple years. Or hookers n blow on the weekend? lol

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    When I was 24 I bought an H1 for 140 grand, back when that was a lot, and Hummers were expensive. Back then they gave away free money in Canada too, much like you guys seem to be getting in the US now for car loans. The interest here is much higher on cars now for whatever reason. But I still have it, and love that old POS, so I guess it worked out for me.

It's easy for me to talk about buying with cash or buy nothing these days, because I can, but looking back on that purchase, I could have done a lot worse at the time...... like buying any brand new pickup truck or luxury car, whose resale falls in half in a couple years. Or hookers n blow on the weekend? lol
    Why restrict yourself to the weekend. Too busy Mon-Fri?

Congrats on your seemingly successful life! Cheers to your continued prosperity! I hope to one day have enough properties and income to retire happily by ~40!

To be honest in the pipeline from our Chrysler reps the 2017 rumors seem as to be true. The Viper market is just to un-profitable and marginal to it's competition that I believe FCAU is honestly going to end the Snake as per the rumors..

I'm glad that I will possibly own one of the first of the last true American Hand Built Exotic's, and one of only 2 years to wear the SRT moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitemamba View Post
    Guys, be happy for the guy and don't look to judge how he manages his finances. That's really none of our business. He is obviously excited about the car and that's what the post was about. Be happy for him.

Op: Congrats and I hope you enjoy the car.
    Thanks for the kind words! Trust me when I say I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Quote Originally Posted by SADVIPER View Post
    I owned my Viper at 27 but yeah this smells a bit of trolling now lol!

No trolls here, I'll keep everyone updated as the project continues.. Also oil consumption test and weighing of oil is done, so now to document every 100 miles and every 500 for dealer re-weigh of remaining fluids...Hopefully it's nothing serious!

Enthusiast

At 24, I was the idiot who bought a brand new Range Rover Supercharged(100k) and a brand new CLS55 AMG(100k), all in the same month! Oh, and bought my mom a new C class also. Probably the absolute worst depreciating trio of cars you could buy at the time. Good thing the Rover was leased for business write-off purposes. Lol. Even though they were somewhat bad decisions, I had some of the best times enjoying those cars and wouldn't trade it for anything. Memories are priceless.
    Last edited by Rapidrezults; 10-19-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrezults View Post
    At 24, I was the idiot who bought a brand new Range Rover Supercharged(100k) and a brand new CLS55 AMG(100k), all in the same month! Oh, and bought my mom a new C class also. Probably the absolute worst depreciating trio of cars you could buy at the time. Good thing the Rover was leased for business write-off purposes. Lol. Even though they were somewhat bad decisions, I had some of the best times enjoying those cars and wouldn't trade it for anything. Memories are priceless.
    LMFAO DAMN!! Sounds like you had it made!! I had to start with literally 6$ in my pocket and nothing to my name when I got this job and I have everything to thank for the sales industry.. With hard work you really can make a great living.

I hope one day to have the luxury of doing anything I want without the slavery of a day time job (Hence my fixation with acquiring rental properties) but until then I will enjoy the single high ticket item I have to the fullest and continue to grind!

Namaste!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gpearl View Post
    Why restrict yourself to the weekend. Too busy Mon-Fri?
    I dunno, I assume if I had spent my money on hookers n blow, instead of what I did back then, I'd still have to show up to work at some point to pay for it?

Enthusiast
    I dunno, I assume if I had spent my money on hookers n blow, instead of what I did back then, I'd still have to show up to work at some point to pay for it?
    Not if your job is pimpin pimpin. Though for me, it was more of a hobby. I mean, I made money off of it but I really did it because I loved it. And it wasn't just the work itself but the people you meet. Ho's from all walks of life brought together by their love of drugs and lack of self esteem. I think that was the coolest part. Being part of such a special community. Sometimes I still miss it and think of getting back into the game because when I really think about it, I didn't choose pimpin...pimpin chose me.

Look at me, getting all wistful about ho's. I'll definitely tear up if I start talking about my bottom bitch. She was really special.

Quote Originally Posted by xslangx View Post
    To be honest in the pipeline from our Chrysler reps the 2017 rumors seem as to be true. The Viper market is just to un-profitable and marginal to it's competition that I believe FCAU is honestly going to end the Snake as per the rumors..
    Very depressing. The other concern of course is getting replacement parts and quality service is tough enough now, let alone after the car is discontinued. Offset of course by many parts being the same with other vehicles (the buttons on my Viper steering wheel are the same as on my Dart, for example).

Sorry if we doubted you at first. Welcome and enjoy your car, and please keep us updated on the oil issue.

Enthusiast
    I'm not concerned about replacement parts, and as far as service goes, I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to have to drive/trailer my car to Nebraska or Texas if I want work done. I'm all about exclusivity and being part of a community that loves this car. If anything, the exclusivity factor is going to increase post 2017. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. IMHO, discontinuation of the Viper has no bearing on the enjoyment of my car, or the ownership experience as a whole. In my mind, owning a "Classic" is just fine with me.

Enthusiast
    ^^^I consider every Viper a classic the minute it's built^^^^^

Each generation has its own quirks, idiosyncrasies, and therefor charms.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    Ah that makes sense, I read it thinking he currently has 6k negative equity in the viper but it's probably more like $20k negative now in that loan.
    I'm actually very close to being = or in an equity position, the Viper has a strange way of holding value!

Hopefully he will chime in again soon. Regardless it is a beautiful car, but then again, I may be biased towards Adrenaline Red....
    Adrenaline Red on Sepia, <3/

Possibly replace the engine. I'm just saying driving like that is probably going to burn more and excasterbate e problem.
    According to my service documents it's fine! It's expected to burn 1 quart every ~500 miles with aggressive driving! (See service log below)
    Trust me when I say I drive my viper to the limit every day.. NLTS 2-6th and aggressive flat out pulls..
    IMG_4153.jpg

It's going to burn oil as per the service bulletin, no issues here as reassured from my master-tech.

Do the math on the life of the loan and it only comes out to a total of 25% interest on the value of the car. Financing car upside down values...always a good choice. Why finance something once when you can finance it twice? Yeah I made a wise ass joke but... Bottom line, he didn't ask me to borrow the money so it's his choice how to finance it. It isn't the choice I would make but I didn't have to make it. Good luck dude. Set aside some miney for maintenence (remember these cars have black boxes so they will know what you do.) and please be safe. Seriously please be safe.
    I could easily pay off the loan but prefer the low and almost free money provided by the loan. It's to inexpensive to not borrow the money and not dump $ into a depreciating asset

Nothing wrong with a little break for hookers n sho-shmane

Not if your job is pimpin pimpin. Though for me, it was more of a hobby. I mean, I made money off of it but I really did it because I loved it. And it wasn't just the work itself but the people you meet. Ho's from all walks of life brought together by their love of drugs and lack of self esteem. I think that was the coolest part. Being part of such a special community. Sometimes I still miss it and think of getting back into the game because when I really think about it, I didn't choose pimpin...pimpin chose me.

Look at me, getting all wistful about ho's. I'll definitely tear up if I start talking about my bottom bitch. She was really special.
    Do what makes you happy, you live ONE time. Fuck everyone that disagrees. ;D

Very depressing. The other concern of course is getting replacement parts and quality service is tough enough now, let alone after the car is discontinued. Offset of course by many parts being the same with other vehicles (the buttons on my Viper steering wheel are the same as on my Dart, for example).

Sorry if we doubted you at first. Welcome and enjoy your car, and please keep us updated on the oil issue.
    Oil issue should seems to be normal for a car driven hard, I daily drive my Viper and have no alternate I rely on for transportation.

I know it's uncommon for most Viper owners, but I really drive mine every day and use it for everything from grocery shopping to day to day work A-B. I am a true enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by lochnessmonster View Post
    I'm not concerned about replacement parts, and as far as service goes, I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to have to drive/trailer my car to Nebraska or Texas if I want work done. I'm all about exclusivity and being part of a community that loves this car. If anything, the exclusivity factor is going to increase post 2017. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. IMHO, discontinuation of the Viper has no bearing on the enjoyment of my car, or the ownership experience as a whole. In my mind, owning a "Classic" is just fine with me.
    The exclusivity factor definetely is going to increase post-2017, it's going to be a privlegege owning the last largest N/A engine in production worldwide. The Viper will always fill a special void in the car performance world as being a true DRIVERS CAR. The minor assists it provides even in the Gen V configuration still make it a raw beast only fitting to true enthusiasts and car guys world wide. It will never stop demanding respect from fellow gear-heads and will continue to do so for generations to come, production or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast