Enthusiast

Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort

Coming along nicely. Check out their website.

http://islandmotorsportresort.com/

Enthusiast
    Wow that looks pretty good, it seems like these motorsport resorts are popping up everywhere.

Angry

except not in Airdrie

Enthusiast
    What was the reason behind canceling Rockyview?

Traffic on a range road and noise or something? I remember it being something ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by All Blue ACR View Post
    except not in Airdrie

Enthusiast
    Farmers having fears of people from the track illegally using their land for picnics and such? Seriously.......

Enthusiast
    There's also the Area 27 Motorsport track that started building last fall. It's in Kelowna and at least one or two of our members have memberships in it. I believe the new memberships (if available are $40 or $50,000. Jacque Villeneuve and Trevor Siebert are two of the founding members and will be driving instructing there. Doug Seal at Willowbrook Chrysler would have more information as well as having some Viper for sale that could run that track ...

Doug has a LOT of Vipers in his showroom, a couple outside and I think he also has a collection at home.

Airdrie? My Father in law lives in Airdrie. I've even been there in my Sapphire GTS.

The Rockyview Motorsports Park near Airdrie failed because of it's location. The land was designated 'agricultural' and the Reeve and councillors felt the track should be located in an area zoned for business/industrial. As you may know, tracks are always located in 'business parks'. NOT. Anyway, it was unanimously voted down.

However, it's not dead. They've located another property and are continuing their proposal. Stay tuned.

Also, the Vancouver Island track is TERRIBLE. Take a look at it. Ever been on a car track without a straight away? It's far better than nothing but it falls short right now. I hope they make some improvements. Certainly a Miata track might be a good time - but not in a fast car.

Area 27 should be awesome. Gilles and Jaques racing number was 27.......

Greg

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the review Greg. I was wondering.

Have you run at Pacific? I've heard nothing but great comments about it.

Enthusiast
    Interesting , and was thinking the same thing as Fireball --- where are the straights???

I've never raced at Pacific - but I also hear good things. I hear it almost always rains there so be prepared for a wet track day.

The Ridge isn't too far away and it's a great track! One of my favourites.

I've been lucky. In the past year I've raced at Las Vegas (set fastest lap, finished 6th), Thunderhill long and short west courses (1st and 3rd - also set fastest lap), Laguna Seca (DNF but still set fastest lap), The Ridge (5th and set fastest lap), and Castrol for a 24 hour endurance race (1st, set fastest lap and won by 6 laps). I also raced at Spokane, not sure where I finished but not well, mechanical.

I've had a great year racing! I'm hoping 2016 is as good. I'll be racing Laguna, The Ridge, Vegas, Thunderhill and Castrol this year.

Greg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball36 View Post
    I've never raced at Pacific - but I also hear good things. I hear it almost always rains there so be prepared for a wet track day.

The Ridge isn't too far away and it's a great track! One of my favourites.

I've been lucky. In the past year I've raced at Las Vegas (set fastest lap, finished 6th), Thunderhill long and short west courses (1st and 3rd - also set fastest lap), Laguna Seca (DNF but still set fastest lap), The Ridge (5th and set fastest lap), and Castrol for a 24 hour endurance race (1st, set fastest lap and won by 6 laps). I also raced at Spokane, not sure where I finished but not well, mechanical.

I've had a great year racing! I'm hoping 2016 is as good. I'll be racing Laguna, The Ridge, Vegas, Thunderhill and Castrol this year.

Greg

Do you ship your car to these tracks or drive it there?

I've shipped my Viper to Infineon twice and Thunderhill once. I hauled it in an enclosed trailer behind my H1 to Miller once for VOI - including a track day before VOI even started. I drive it to Castrol from Calgary.

All the other tracks I visit are in my race car so we usually have it hauled for us. For Spokane or The Ridge we haul it ourselves.

This year we're hauling our race car to The Ridge, Spokane and Castrol but having someone else haul it to Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Vegas. The gentleman that does our hauling for us lives in Jasper and he has room for 2 cars in his hauler so the cost is split between 2 teams - and there're 4 of us on our team so the cost is more than reasonable. We do endurance racing so all 4 of us typically get to drive a few 2 hour shifts at every race. Last year Castrol was a 24 hour race and this year Vegas will be a 39 hour race. We bring barrels of fuel! And tires....... With that much racing the shipping cost is spread out pretty well and becomes a great value.

FWIW, I know a few Viper owners in Alberta that drive to an event every September at Miller near Salt Lake City. FWIW, Miller was built for Vipers - it's the perfect Viper track. Fast sweepers, lot's of runoff... Great facility. Unfortunately it's looking like 2016 might be the last year for Miller. The track is likely to close.

I'm not sure how many tracks I've raced at, but learning a new track is a ton of fun.

Greg

Enthusiast
    Greg, you should check out the www.sscc.us event. I have 7 trophies from there. Ely, nevada. Open road racing although Texas Big Bend is much more challenging it's much farther.

Mexican open road rally in April will be intersting and I'lll write a review and ezine article for anyone interested. It's supposed to be worthy as a lifetime event so I'm going to try it out with my Buddy.

I'm hoping to NV2 and be back in time to take my TT down to Spokane last weekend of May for a Drag/Roll race and do some more testing and tuning. If things go well I hope to run some high boost on race gas and see how that works out.

Ted, I'm a committed road racer. I've done drags and the Texas Mile was one of the most amazing things I've ever done - but road racing is my thing. I won some NASCAR oval races - and I just loved that! I may do that again one day. So much fun. I went furthest motorcycle road racing ultimately winning a national level championship - and I loved that but I'm a lot older and a fair bit fatter than I need to be to do that again. I have 6 motorcycles (including a supercharged Kawasaki H2!) and I do get to the track just to drag my knee around from time to time.
    Long way to say that open road racing isn't really my thing but I do like the idea of Pikes Peak...... Uh oh.....

I do think an open road race might be a lot of fun, maybe I need to expand my horizons a bit? Honestly, it's the speed limits that have stopped me from trying it. I can't imagine not going as fast as I could because of a rule. Hmmmm.

Greg

Enthusiast
    Looks good to me.

https://youtu.be/wdWqmSk_h44

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerqb View Post
    Same here....looks like fun & that's what it's all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Interesting , and was thinking the same thing as Fireball --- where are the straights???
    I have the "phase 2" pdf including a very long straight to be completed in 2017/18(?) It roughly triples in acreage but only doubles the overall track length.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerqb View Post
    My white Hellcat 3 cars in front.

Enthusiast
    Hey you track rats;

I still have connections, and a home on Vancouver Island. I have heard good things about the new track; have recently met someone with influence to the new venue. Vancouver Island has always been popular for the club events; members from our club as well as Washington and Oregon make the effort. If you think we can attract 10 to 12 members that would be willing to spend the dough to run this new track I will pursue the event. Weather is the best in August on the Island; tag onto the long weekend with track time mid week. A destination event with Victoria as our HQ not far from the track. Looking for level of interest; will post on the WCVP website next step.

Suggested timing mid August 2017.

Look forward to some comments and ideas.

Cheers,

Jim