PDA

View Full Version : Height Required for a Lift with Car Stored Underneath

Jack B
12-08-2013, 12:58 AM
There was a post asking about the minimum ceiling height when storing a car on the lift and one underneath. I store my G2 on the bottom and the G5 on top. The lift is an Eagle brand. The top of the G5 is 99 inches off the floor. On the Eagle lift you have to go up three inches to release the lift to lower the car, therefore, you are at 102 inches, add six more inches for safety and you have 108 inches.

To work under the car I lower the lift approximately 12" from the storage height and use a roller chair. In my opinion it is actually much easier to work from the chair than to work in the standing position.

Policy Limits
12-08-2013, 08:18 AM
If there's sufficient ceiling height, go with an extended height Quality 4 Post; 80" clearance underneath & it even fit my Hummer!

Nine Ball
12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
To make it even easier:

http://www.eagleequip.com/STORAGE_LIFT_ILLUSTRATION.html

Tony

Jack B
12-08-2013, 09:36 AM
My lift has 7 ft posts. You could get the hummer under, however, you need approx 12 ft of ceiling. In addition you may have stability issues. You definitely have to think about the anchoring.

There was a post asking about the minimum ceiling height when storing a car on the lift and one underneath. I store my G2 on the bottom and the G5 on top. The lift is an Eagle brand. The top of the G5 is 99 inches off the floor. On the Eagle lift you have to go up three inches to release the lift to lower the car, therefore, you are at 102 inches, add six more inches for safety and you have 108 inches.

To work under the car I lower the lift approximately 12" from the storage height and use a roller chair. In my opinion it is actually much easier to work from the chair than to work in the standing position.

Jack B
12-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I looked a little closer, the posts on my Eagle lift are 7 ft, however, you can only raise the car 6 ft. Like I said before, unless you have an exceptional anchor system it will not be very stable that high. They are not very easy to level especially if the garage floor is sloped for drainage.