PDA

View Full Version : Forum and/or Club Suggestions

SEASnake
10-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I know the logo isn't 100% done, so I'll throw out my first impression:
It looks like Stryker is being impaled by a wooden stake though his head. He's a snake, not a vampire, right? Just continue the segmented arc through to the transition to the head.

If he IS a vampire, then by all means - stake away!

SNKEBIT
10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I looked at it as a gauge needle, I think it works quite well.

Viper Girl
10-24-2013, 11:05 PM
That is a slightly different logo then what was up there earlier today.

I see the similarity to the Gen V red line tach... but now that you mentioned it... I see the stake too... LOL

Brian GTS
10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Logo looks great. When I first looked at the logo, I just thought the "O" was a curled snake. I did not recognize it as being a tach. Wonder if it would look silly to put some tach numbers on there and further emphasize the needle in a different color to draw attention? Just a thought, but it's great!

SmoknTires
10-25-2013, 12:37 AM
The colors on the "O" and snake had to be stripped so that it worked better with the colors of the site. You'll see the final version, the color makes all the difference. We wanted our logo up there for the start of the forums. You guys names it all, it's an O, it's a tach, and it's the body of a snake. simple, but tells the story. Colored versions to come as well as the 3-D renderings. Should embroider very nice too. We wanted something that was VOA, not just the logo from the car shrouded in a rectangle. I can say I have a new appreciation for logo design. Hard to make it simple but still have purpose. This was rendering #1,433,544.

SEASnake
10-25-2013, 12:38 AM
That is a slightly different logo then what was up there earlier today.

I see the similarity to the Gen V red line tach... but now that you mentioned it... I see the stake too... LOL

I don't have a gen V tach for comparison, so I wouldn't even go there for interpretation unless told to. Immediately recognizable? Yes. Immediately understandable? not so sure.

SEASnake
10-25-2013, 12:47 AM
The colors on the "O" and snake had to be stripped so that it worked better with the colors of the site. You'll see the final version, the color makes all the difference. We wanted our logo up there for the start of the forums. You guys names it all, it's an O, it's a tach, and it's the body of a snake. simple, but tells the story. Colored versions to come as well as the 3-D renderings. Should embroider very nice too. We wanted something that was VOA, not just the logo from the car shrouded in a rectangle. I can say I have a new appreciation for logo design. Hard to make it simple but still have purpose. This was rendering #1,433,544.

Logo should work without color unless always printed/displayed in color, which it won't be in a lot of cases. Just throwing out an outsider's reaction. It's not yet set in stone, so I thought I would weigh in.

SmoknTires
10-25-2013, 08:40 AM
All useful feedback.

The logo isn't supposed to look like the genV tach, it was just inspired by it.

Perhaps we can find a way to accentuate the needle.

thanks for the input. Constructive criticism is good as so much is evolving. With staring at it so much, there are things not completely apparent to those working on it.

intense
10-25-2013, 08:08 PM
I know the logo isn't 100% done, so I'll throw out my first impression:
It looks like Stryker is being impaled by a wooden stake though his head. He's a snake, not a vampire, right? Just continue the segmented arc through to the transition to the head.

If he IS a vampire, then by all means - stake away!

The stake is going through the vca.

BlknBlu
10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I am sure it is on the radar, but a classifieds section. Remember the online chat sessions on the old forum. those were a really neat feature.

Bruce

Web Driver
10-25-2013, 09:22 PM
The rest of the site, to include the classifieds, will be opened during the grand opening.

Space Truckin
10-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I think it looks great, reminds of Gen V tach when rpms hit 5k

BlknBlu
10-25-2013, 09:56 PM
I placed a post in the KC section of the forum and was hoping for a Nebraska section to be added.

thanks

Bruce

SEASnake
10-25-2013, 10:06 PM
All useful feedback.

The logo isn't supposed to look like the genV tach, it was just inspired by it.

Perhaps we can find a way to accentuate the needle.

thanks for the input. Constructive criticism is good as so much is evolving. With staring at it so much, there are things not completely apparent to those working on it.

Even as-is, I'm sure I'll get over myself. I've decided to look at it as Stryker sporting a bad ass mo-hawk instead:cool:

XSnake
10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Will there be a rep system here?

ViperGTS
10-26-2013, 01:26 AM
it is....little star lower left corner of post.

LifeIsGood
10-26-2013, 06:13 AM
It looks good to me...that being said...why tie the logo of this site to the 3rd Viper logo? What happens when there's a 4th, 5th, etc iteration of the viper logo?

bitn4ever
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I love the colours but I don't think the graphic is as striking as it should be for a Viper. At first glance, my first thought was Viking, not Viper :(
Just my opinion. I was hoping for something more "loud" and eye catching, something that says "whoa look out...here come the Vipers!" After all, it is going to be on alot of Viper apparel and other merchandise such as banners etc.
I do however love everything else about the VOA and thank you to all who put it together for us so quickly and professionally!

eucharistos
10-26-2013, 12:42 PM
really enjoying the site so far

can you add something like the alley has when you hit the New Post tab - "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

right now if you go to New Posts then leave, all the unread posts disappear

thanks

XSnake
10-27-2013, 08:52 AM
it is....little star lower left corner of post.

ah ok, cool!

Fatboy 18
10-27-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm liking the forum layout and the colours, Its nice and clear and I can actually read the posts :)

I tried the Alley a few times and found it really hard work with all the Adverts popping up all over the place and the black background, I did not care much for the VCA updated forum either, this is much better.

Thanks Mark. :England:

Granger73
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
VA has a "view first unread" feature when you visit a thread. Really helps navigate the lengthy threads. Great feature.

plumcrazy
10-27-2013, 09:23 AM
we have that here as well, its the little blue dot next to the title of the thread

Granger73
10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks. Good to know.

slitherv10
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
My opinion on the new logo is that of the same as the VCA.

Why is the Gen 5 logo being used as the main ingredient. The Club stands for all generation Vipers not just the Gen 5. The VCA had the gen 3 and now we have the gen 5 here.

The logo should be more generalized among all gens past present and future.

bitn4ever
10-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi webmaster and moderators and thank you for a terrific forum.

Suggestion 1. Adding a "How to" section. This could include more basic tasks such as "how to post a picture, video etc. How to change the default font colour, size etc. How to send a private message, how to edit profile information etc.

Suggestion 2. Can you please increase the timeout? I am constantly having to log back in when I have to leave my pc during posting.

Thank you :hog:

Web Driver
10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Time out has now been increased to 3 hours.

bitn4ever
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Fantastic! Thank you :)

GTS Flyer
11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
It would be nice to have the states listed for each region in the smaller text (sub-title?) for easier navigation. For example Virgina is in the northeast region although we're south of the Mason-Dixon line and considered to be part of the southern United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau. I don't think it matters which region the various states are placed in, however additional navigational aids would be helpful.

Also, we've got lots of Vipers in Delaware yet that state is not included. There should be some amount of effort to make sure all states are included.

City
11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
It would be nice to have the states listed for each region in the smaller text (sub-title?) for easier navigation. For example Virgina is in the northeast region although we're south of the Mason-Dixon line and considered to be part of the southern United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau. I don't think it matters which region the various states are placed in, however additional navigational aids would be helpful.

Also, we've got lots of Vipers in Delaware yet that state is not included. There should be some amount of effort to make sure all states are included.

Interesting point. Looking into that! From heye in Nu Yawk, everything west of Joisy is pretty much for covered wagons ... I probably wouldn't notice.
But seriously, it's a good idea.

GTS Flyer
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Since the Viper Association has a notion of membership and the forum has an independent membership count, I often see people get confused with the vBulletin's Members vs Active Members in the Statistics area at the bottom the forum. Folks often think that Members is the number registered for the forum and Active Members is the number of paying club members. vBulletin's Active Member stat is actually the number of people who have logged in over the past 30 days (by default).

I believe it would be less confusing to remove the public facing vBulletin's Active Member stat. The options for this control can be found at the following path:

AdminCP > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Forums Home Page Options > Active Members Options

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I suggest that VOA Steering Committee members, Admins, Mods, etc.....who are transparent, reachable, inclusive, principled, and obviously willing to stand behind what they say and do, should display their true names in their signature lines. or at a minimum in your profiles?

Please? The VOA has one-time to make a good first impression. Dont ASSume that visitors here will know you by your Screen-Name. Thank You All.

GTS Flyer
11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Interesting point. Looking into that! From heye in Nu Yawk, everything west of Joisy is pretty much for covered wagons ... I probably wouldn't notice.

I see that you made a change, but I was actually talking about adding subtext to the main page, so the user would know which states are included in each region. See the image below:

http://driveviper.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=617&d=1383844536

GTS Flyer
11-07-2013, 11:21 AM

I see that you made a change, but I was actually talking about adding navigational text to the main regions. See the image below:

http://driveviper.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=618&d=1383844536

GTS Flyer
11-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I see you made a change but I was actually talking about the regions on the main page. See the attachment:

Web Driver
11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Not done yet.... only so many hours in the day before this body shuts down.

GTS Flyer
11-07-2013, 02:19 PM
No problem. Thank you for all of your hard work.

I'm a developer and willing to help if needed...

viperfred
12-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I would like membership login to also log me into the Forum? Sync does not seem to link the membership login with the forum. Presently have to login to both areas of the site?

Happy Holidays to the VOA and its members and their families.
Fred Kinder