PDA

View Full Version : HF Air Compressors?

thetalonguy
07-18-2015, 09:05 AM
So I'm stuck at Harbor Freight because it's pouring outside and I'm with the Viper.

Anyway this is a BAD place for me to be stuck killing time. Anywho, I'm thinking about getting an air compressor for automotive and perhaps residential use.

I saw saw these two an am not sure if they're any good.

Attached are the tags; one is oiless and is 26 gallons. The other is oiled and 21, but has more max working psi and running HP.

Any opinions?

thetalonguy
07-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Look what I found walking around on a wheel doly box....:-)

Bugman Jeff
07-19-2015, 11:56 PM
I always check the reviews on the HF website before making anything more than a basic tool purchase. They are uncensored reviews, so if something sucks, you'll know. You can also often find HF product reviews on Amazon, as many of their items are also sold there. I have several of their "high end" Chicago Electric and Central Pneumatic tools, and am impressed with the quality. They're on par with many of the name brand tools I've used. I would expect similar quality with their air compressors.

Redx
07-20-2015, 06:05 AM
Get the oil less, no maintenance. The flow rate rate more or less your recovery time to fill the tank, crank er up to 150 psi and you could crack almost all bolts loose(that is if your impact can handle it).

A2008
07-20-2015, 07:26 AM
The oil less is less to maintain, but is a heck of a lot noisier. If my current oil less ever goes bad, I'm NOT getting another one unless it's 10 times more quiet.

ViperTony
07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
These cheap compressors never hit their advertised maximum PSI. But it's HF so you can essentially change/upgrade compressors every 90 days with their return policy. :)

thetalonguy
07-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Good Info here...Thanks. I think they have a massive parking lot sale coming up soon.

They seem to be pretty lax on their return policy; maybe this is the one time I'll go for a warranty.

Steve M
07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't do the oiless one if they gave it to me for free - it'll be noisy as hell, and that just gets annoying after a while.

If you are so inclined, the Garage Journal Forum has a pretty good, on-going thread about Harbor Freight wins/fails. Lots of good info on that site when it comes to tool purchases. There are definitely some gems available from Harbor Freight.

Redx
07-20-2015, 05:22 PM
At the end of the day, get a decent 1/2" electric impact(milwaukee) and you will only use a air compressor to use a air gun or filling your tires. Mechanic by trade and may use air 5-10 times a year.