PDA

View Full Version : Cats, Hi-Flo, or No Cats vs. AZ Emissions

LeadfootRT10
12-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Being that my Viper is relatively new to me and I've always enjoyed modifying and upgrading my cars, I'd like to make some improvements. Just a few, it's so close to perfect already. I want to upgrade the exhaust to a Corsa cat-back, from what i read it's what most people seem to be the happiest with in terms of sound and quality. Now for my question, in Arizona, can I run my Viper with Hi-flo cats or with no cats at all and still pass the emissions? I only ask because when i went to registrar my other toy car which I brought with me from NY, it failed the emissions with it's custom exhaust. Put a cat on and it passed with flying colors. I don't want to have to deal with that again with the Viper, mostly because the exhaust on the Viper is much harder to access/modify.

So will I fail emissions without the factory cats?

slowhatch
12-06-2013, 09:07 AM
You will definitely fail the nox pollutant count and a few others with no cats. You may be able to squeak by with hi-flows depending on your tune. Maybe some others that run hi-flows will chime in. Personally, i wouldn't run catless unless it was a pure track car, pulling up smelling like gas everywhere you go gets old real quick.

LeadfootRT10
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I think i will probably stick with the cats then, unless somebody can recommend a hi-flow that will pass AZ emissions?

Prefer it if you're currently running them.

VenomOnWheels
12-06-2013, 10:26 PM
I think i will probably stick with the cats then, unless somebody can recommend a hi-flow that will pass AZ emissions?

Prefer it if you're currently running them.

I've got hi-flo cats on my '05 and have never failed the emissions test. However, the test station has always simply used the on-board diagnostics system (OBD). I don't think it would be any different for you, but if you're registering an out-of-state vehicle for the first time they may actually analyze what's coming out your exhaust pipes.

~Dale

WhiteSnake
12-07-2013, 09:52 PM
LF,
Dale makes an excellent point. You might want to check with Eddi Martin, the Bill Luke Viper Tech. He has experience with both in-state and out-of-state Vipers.
Barry

AZTVR
12-07-2013, 10:31 PM
At least for already registered cars, OBD II cars only have their computer info scanned. No tailpipe emissions test. As longs as you don't have codes you should be OK. My '02 passes the OBD check with Random Tech Hi-flow cats

XLR8
12-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I have no cats on any of my Vipers and they all pass emissions. I have even ran my track cars on the street after passing emissions.

My98RT10
12-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Hi,

Maybe I can chime in although I am not from Arizona but from Germany. I did install a Corsa catback together with HF cats (Magnaflow) this spring on my '98 RT/10. Last month, the car was due for the German TÜV including emission testing. I was a bit concerned mainly because of the volume of the catback system, not so much of the emission test as I was confirmed by a few people that it will pass the test provided the cats have reached operating temperature. The emission test in my case was done by sticking a sensor into the tailpipe. The guy had to put the sensor real deep into the pipe in order to pass it. He said that otherwise, due to the large diameter of the tips, the sensor "sees" some ambient air which "distorts" the result. I don't know the rules in Arizona but I would think, that with HF cats you will pass the test.

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Another item: 8+ Litres of STINK is difficult to deal with. Seach the word STINK on several car forums to see catless=stink

Sidepipe cars are worse, since it swirls into the cabin and taints hair and clothes. A

Uh, and loses torque! USMade HiFlow cats even pass CA, both the plug in or sniffer tests.

DITTO on Eddie Martin in Scottsdale: 602 448 1587. 20+ year Viper Tech, and he owns one as well.

He has 2000+ miles on a G5 Belanger right now......testing for Belanger. You should get to know Eddie.

stryfe
12-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, I am actually thinking of putting hi-flows on my Gen II just to knock the absurd noise level down a little (Belangers + straight pipes). Is there a shop in Tucson that someone would recommend?

slitherv10
12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Well I have Belanger headers , no cats, just straight pipes right out the borla exhaust to the back on my 96 GTS.

I did not take a chance on testing it with no cats as it might give me a red flag when I go in the second time so, I decided to get a set of High flow from JonB and stick them on for the test and take them off for everyday. Passed emissions with flying colors and was told by the testing facility to bring it in next time catless and test it off line to see where it stands since the numbers were so low they said it might just pass near the limit with no cats. worth the try and it off line so no monitoring from the ministry.

One thing to note OP, a catless system may smell a little of gas and some more fumes but, if your looking for a more raspy growl from the exhaust, I would definitely keep the cats off. I noticed a day and night difference with mine with the cats on. It sounded terrible, like stock. Not something I wanted to hear after spending thousands on headers and exhaust. Also, and this of course is personal taste, but, the Borla system has a much more growl and backfires to the melody of Zed Zepplin. just awesome! The corsa has a more chattery sound like a small block chevy where as the Borla I find, keeps the big block old muscle car sound. Again, its just the way I hear it and heard when next to others with Corsas. Also the Borla is louder DB wise.

Vprbite
12-29-2013, 04:40 PM
I had an 02 GTS with high flow cats and corsa cat back. Beautiful sound and no emissions issues.

Vprbite
12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Hmmm, I am actually thinking of putting hi-flows on my Gen II just to knock the absurd noise level down a little (Belangers + straight pipes). Is there a shop in Tucson that someone would recommend?

Exhaust works on ft Lowell is a great shop for trucks and they have dine a lot of my friends cars, older hot rods and muscle, though I don't know about them doing vipers. The biggest issue is taking off the side sills I think, since your headers are already there. I am sure http://www.hispeedcustoms.com/ Could do it. Their prices are on the high end but fair amd their work is off the charts good. They are who I have do any paint work on my car.

Of course Eddie can probably quote you a price over the phone as he has done a thousand of them. There is an enterprose rent a car in the dodge dealership where Eddie is so that makes getting back easier. Or, I am up there a lot for this that or the other things going on so if we could schedule it when I have to be up there anyway I could give you a lift back. Good luck.

billseast
12-29-2013, 10:12 PM
No cats on my 03 for 6 years no problem with emissions.

LeadfootRT10
01-11-2014, 01:05 AM
So I did it. I bought my exhaust. Took advantage of Jon B's end of the year inventory clearance. Picked up for a CORSA cat-back and the Random Tech Cats for around $500 bucks cheaper than i had priced out otherwise. And he cut me a deal on shipping......

....now I have to go see Eddie.:dude3:

Vprbite
01-12-2014, 02:14 PM
So I did it. I bought my exhaust. Took advantage of Jon B's end of the year inventory clearance. Picked up for a CORSA cat-back and the Random Tech Cats for around $500 bucks cheaper than i had priced out otherwise. And he cut me a deal on shipping......

....now I have to go see Eddie.:dude3:

Congrats. I had corsa and high flow on my 02 GTS and got compliments on the sound all the time. No drone (I had 3:55s so that does affect things) and great at wide open throttle but mid range where you spend most of your time, it,sounds awesome. Enjoy.

WhiteSnake
01-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Lead,
You will like the Corsa. There is no drone and the sound is mild--until you wake it up and then it is awesome. A side benefit is that your cabin temp will drop dramatically. I had Eddie install mine on my '05 about 8 yrs. ago and would put them on my Gen 5 if I feel the need. Not needed at this time.

VenomOnWheels
01-15-2014, 12:06 PM
No cats on my 03 for 6 years no problem with emissions.

No problem you say? Too bad you can't follow yourself down the road sometime. I need to wear a gas mask whenever I'm behind you - which fortunately is seldom because you're so slow.

:cool:

Vprbite
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Both my vipers have been registered from out of state. That is to say, both were purchased from out of state and. Delivered here. I did not own/register them in another state. They both had some type of exhaust mods. 02 had hi flows and corsa. Neither one of them had the CEL which means...they pass. Period. Out of state cars are not subjected to a different test. The rules may be different for older cars without OBD II, but I have never dealt with that. So. If your car is not throwing a CEL, you will pass with your 01 or newer. In fact, I don't think hi flaws and corsa even need a tune to get rid of a cel. Though they may benefit from one. Eddie will know for sure if they cause a code at first or need 02 sensor plugs or something like that but I really don't think so.

Again, no CEL = pass

Also, you can do the registering to a p.o. Box in Montana or something like that and avoid emissions all together but don't forget that is ILLEGAL and you can be cited for that. Unless you have an actuall connection to that address, like someone in the military might have, i say a avoid it. I know some jobs (municipal or connected) that won't allow untested cars on their lots as they don't want people working for the city to skirt the laws of that city.