PDA

View Full Version : Back up camera

chris955
12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
For those of us who bought a srt without the back up camera do you wish you had one? I do.
I wonder how big of a deal it would be to buy the factory wiring and camera and hook one up to the factory in dash display?

Voice of Reason
12-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I wish I had it too. I asked on the old site and an engineer replied that all the wiring is there, we just need the camera hooked up and the software will recognize it's there and just work. So we need the camera PLUS a new back taillight surround that has the cutout for the camera. I wasn't at the point where I was ready to buy so I didn't ask about prices, but if one of our wonderful sponsors would be so kind as to put together a little "camera retrofit" package for us I bet they'd sell a few :).

ViperSmith
12-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I have it on my SRT, totally worth it if you can figure out how to rig it up

chris955
12-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I wish I had it too. I asked on the old site and an engineer replied that all the wiring is there, we just need the camera hooked up and the software will recognize it's there and just work. So we need the camera PLUS a new back taillight surround that has the cutout for the camera. I wasn't at the point where I was ready to buy so I didn't ask about prices, but if one of our wonderful sponsors would be so kind as to put together a little "camera retrofit" package for us I bet they'd sell a few :).

If the wiring is there and ran to the back of the car that is more than half the battle, the last thing I wanted to do is take the interior apart.

VRYALT3R3D
12-05-2013, 09:45 PM
All you need is the back up camera(same part # as the ram's back up camera) and the bracket. The bracket is around $12. No special wiring is needed.

I will post the part number and photo of the part tmrw morning for you.

VRYALT3R3D
12-05-2013, 09:55 PM
The part number for the bracket is: 6814 1070 AA

chris955
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
All you need is the back up camera(same part # as the ram's back up camera) and the bracket. The bracket is around $12. No special wiring is needed.

I will post the part number and photo of the part tmrw morning for you.

have you installed this already?

VRYALT3R3D
12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
have you installed this already?

On Saturday I will :) I will make a separate thread and take a lot of photos with instructions how to do it.

Nine Ball
12-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Looks like just a small hole is needed to be drilled in the rear fascia. It is in an an area that can't be seen normally, so I'd have no reservations about drilling that panel instead of replacing/repainting another one. They also make cameras that bolt to the top two bolts of your license plate, which should also work the same way. Just won't have the turn radius function like the factory, likely. Or maybe it will?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31T2CtJHIyL.jpg

Timmer
12-06-2013, 07:58 AM
- - - Updated - - -

the last thing I wanted to do is take the interior apart.

Taking the interior apart is fun - putting it back together can be a challenge though...

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/IMG_0172_zps1bbbf367.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/IMG_0173_zps8275ceea.jpg

Smog Dog
12-06-2013, 08:07 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Taking the interior apart is fun - putting it back together can be a challenge though...

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/IMG_0172_zps1bbbf367.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/IMG_0173_zps8275ceea.jpg

OMG Tim!! What's going on?? Must be at Tony's getting an interior?! Notice the Yellow Viper in the background...got to be Venzano.

Bill

Timmer
12-06-2013, 08:17 AM
OMG Tim!! What's going on??

Bill

Would you believe me if I said I dropped a quarter in the car and was adamant about finding it?

Actually, it is at Venzano Automotive (http://www.venzanoviper.com/) getting a custom interior installed.

Tony should have it done some time next week. I'll start a separate thread with after pics when it is completed.

Tim

ViperSmith
12-06-2013, 08:39 AM
I've pondered what it would cost to have Venzano do an alcantara interior...

slowhatch
12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Would you believe me if I said I dropped a quarter in the car and was adamant about finding it?

Actually, it is at Venzano Automotive (http://www.venzanoviper.com/) getting a custom interior installed.

Tony should have it done some time next week. I'll start a separate thread with after pics when it is completed.

Tim

Hahaha, look forward to the completed pics!

Policy Limits
12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I've had lots of vehicles with the camera in them & IMO the V has one of the best ones. ESP helpful when unloading off a trailer or lift.

If its not too much trouble, I think its worth it to add it. There haven't been one single time in the car when I haven't utilized it.

Smog Dog
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes, back on topic. If I had to do it over again, I would go with the back up camera. I have always been in favor of keeping the Viper simple and was happy to have the option to not have the camera....rear visibility in the G5 being what it is, I changed my mind...lol. So I will be watching for the write up from VRYALT3R3D. I do know for a fact that the harness is there.

Bill

ViperSmith
12-06-2013, 03:18 PM
We'll have our first technical write up! LOL

chris955
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
those pictures are exactly what goes through my mind when i think about wiring the camera to the head unit, I will be patiently waiting the post to see how VRYALT3R3D install turned out.

Smog Dog
12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
On Saturday I will :) I will make a separate thread and take a lot of photos with instructions how to do it.

Did you install the back up camera?

Bill

VRYALT3R3D
12-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Did you install the back up camera?

Bill

The back up camera arrived damaged. I am waiting for a replcement to arrive.

Voice of Reason
04-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Bumping this thread. Has anyone successfully installed the OEM camera yet? When I look up the camera bracket online it sure looks like it takes more than a small hole to be drilled in our rear fascia. It looks like it needs a completely unique piece because of the shape of the camera bracket. I hope I'm over thinking it though.

Jack B
04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Here are some details of the tail-light surround area and the actual camera. The opening in the surround is fairly large, but, would be easy to install with a dremel. I apologize for the back drop in the first photo, that is one of my wild animal traps.

johniew398
04-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I have to say the backup camera on my TA is great, as good or better than on my wife's MB SL550.

Voice of Reason
04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the pics Jack! Now I have to decide if I'm cutting up the original piece or getting another.

chris955
04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
The question is if the car didn't come with the camera does it have the inputs in the back of the head unit?

Jack B
04-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Yes

the question is if the car didn't come with the camera does it have the inputs in the back of the head unit?

Voice of Reason
06-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Success!

I had the backup camera installed over this past weekend. It's not 100% plug and play yourself, you will need to involve your dealer to get the camera to be recognized by the software. But the most important thing is that all the attachment points on the inside of the tail light panel and wiring already exist. You'll need to cut the hole for the camera through the tail light panel and the dealer will need to set something in the software so the camera is recognized as an accessory. After that everything works perfect including the lines that move to show you the direction you are backing up. I had the tail light panel painted black at the same time so I had a body shop install the camera too, but if you are comfortable with a dremel then attaching the camera is something you could do in your garage. And setting the software at the dealer only took a half hour of work.

Part Numbers:
Camera - 56038978AG
Bracket - 68141070AA

Crotalidae
06-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Excellent to know...thanks for posting!!!

Jack B
06-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Just a suggestion, but, the moderators should save threads like this in a "How To" section.

Threads such as this have value to the viper communi
ty and should be put into a special section once the thread gets near the end

Success!

I had the backup camera installed over this past weekend. It's not 100% plug and play yourself, you will need to involve your dealer to get the camera to be recognized by the software. But the most important thing is that all the attachment points on the inside of the tail light panel and wiring already exist. You'll need to cut the hole for the camera through the tail light panel and the dealer will need to set something in the software so the camera is recognized as an accessory. After that everything works perfect including the lines that move to show you the direction you are backing up. I had the tail light panel painted black at the same time so I had a body shop install the camera too, but if you are comfortable with a dremel then attaching the camera is something you could do in your garage. And setting the software at the dealer only took a half hour of work.

Part Numbers:
Camera - 56038978AG
Bracket - 68141070AA

ViperSmith
06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
It is annoying the dealers have to "enable" the software. Same goes for if you upgrade the sound system.

Jack B
06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Yes

The question is if the car didn't come with the camera does it have the inputs in the back of the head unit?

Cpl
03-20-2018, 12:41 PM
I just got a call from the car dealer I just purchased the car from and told me the Dodge dealer who is I stalling the camera said that after disassembling the rear that there is No Wire present for the camera. WTF!
Is it possible this car is an early build and didn't come with the wire?
Shouldn't the back up wire be in the same harness as the taillights?
It's a 2013 SRT track pack.

ViperGeorge
03-20-2018, 01:42 PM
I just got a call from the car dealer I just purchased the car from and told me the Dodge dealer who is I stalling the camera said that after disassembling the rear that there is No Wire present for the camera. WTF!
Is it possible this car is an early build and didn't come with the wire?
Shouldn't the back up wire be in the same harness as the taillights?
It's a 2013 SRT track pack.

That's weird. Didn't early GTS's come with the camera? I can't believe that SRT would have a separate wire harness for non-camera cars, cheaper to just install the same one with the extra wires. My bet is that the wire is there somewhere but buried.

Voice of Reason
03-20-2018, 02:26 PM
I’d go take a look yourself and have them show you the harness where the wires don’t exist. My 13 was an early build and it had it, there’s no way yours is different.

cubeman
03-20-2018, 02:59 PM
We had a similar issue with Charger's. Most if not all 2013+ Chargers had the wiring present for backup cameras but the placement of the wire could vary. Most of them the wiring was ran right to where the camera was, some just to the beginning of the trunk lid and some who knows. People thought maybe theirs didn't get it to only find the wiring plugged into the back of the head unit and who knows where it was left. My SRT charger is one of those where the wiring is plugged into the back of the head unit, but no where to be found in the trunk area of the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if occasionally a factory worker didn't run the wire all the way, and it's somewhere else, in that case just have the dealer run the new wire assuming it comes as a kit with instructions like it does for Challengers/Chargers

Cpl
03-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately I was at work and could not make it out there.

You know that saying," If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself".
I was going to take her apart anyways when I get the carbon rear applique. If I do end up finding it, I'll make them sync the new part for free.

cubeman
03-22-2018, 01:00 AM
I'll make them sync the new part for free.

better chance of the viper coming back

serpent
03-22-2018, 01:26 AM
Really shitty of Dodge to not include this on a 2013 $100k+ car. :confused:

Cpl
06-18-2018, 02:26 PM
So i installed my backup camera along with the carbon surround and low and behold, the wiring was there.

Anyways , I call the best out of three rated dealer in my area to make an appointment to sync the new part. I ask how long does it take and how much. I was quoted a couple hours and $200. WHAT THE HAIL!!!!! Is the equipment running on dial up modem speeds.Its supposed to take a half hours work. Going to call back and possibly cancel.

Matt Dillon
07-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Doesn't sound like a bad deal to add it, doubt I will cause I don't ever trust it in my other cars! :) I'm always double checking when I back up anyways JUST in case!

Sniper
03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either???

ViperPete
03-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Wow the backup camera wasn't a standard feature on a 90k car??

Sniper
03-26-2020, 03:18 PM
Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either???

AZTVR
03-26-2020, 04:19 PM
Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either
Is the mechanic unfamiliar with this area of the Gen 5 such that he doesn't know where the pigtail is on a GTS? If the harnesses are built the same as some people have posted, then a photo showing the location on a GTS might help. LuisV posted some photos of that area on his 2013 GTS, I think. See the third photo in post 3 of the following thread. The camera is in the upper middle of the photo and shows where that pigtail and others separate from the harness. That might help them find the camera pigtail if it is tucked away or wrapped such that it is not obvious.
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/21939-Carbon-Fiber-Rear-Applique-Install?p=352264&viewfull=1#post352264

Sniper
03-26-2020, 04:52 PM
They said they looked everywhere in the back and it’s not there.
I emailed him the pics you linked to see if that helps them.
I’m worried they’re going to have to run the wire from radio to camera.

Steve M
03-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Heh...I'm getting ready to add a backup camera to my Gen 4. Mine will be a bit more involved since no Gen 4s ever came with a backup camera...I get to run my own wiring instead ;)

swexlin
03-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Wow the backup camera wasn't a standard feature on a 90k car??

2013 was an option on SRT cars - my car doesn't have it. Having one on my Ram, I wish my Viper.

2014 became standard on all, I think.

Cpl
03-26-2020, 09:53 PM
I have a 2013 srt trackpack. I installed my camera when I bought a carbon rear applique. The wiring is there. Once installed have dealer activate it.

Sniper
03-26-2020, 10:20 PM
That’s the problem is they can’t find it but I forwarded what you said to them from the other thread about where it’s at.

swexlin
03-27-2020, 06:28 AM
I have a 2013 srt trackpack. I installed my camera when I bought a carbon rear applique. The wiring is there. Once installed have dealer activate it.

We have the same car! Lightest of the Gen 5s. At least we have that going for us...!

Cpl
03-27-2020, 12:06 PM
We have the same car! Lightest of the Gen 5s. At least we have that going for us...!

Yup, and also the highest top speed model. Lol.
What I tell folks is that even if it is looked at as the "Base" model, I let them know that the higher end models still share the same motor with the same horsepower. Lol

swexlin
03-27-2020, 12:11 PM
Really only options on my car (whoever had originally spec'd it) are the full leather seats. Weird, in 2013, some GTS models didn't come with the StopTechs. And, they way I see it, no adjustable suspension is one less thing to break eventually!

Cpl
03-27-2020, 12:20 PM
We literally have the same exact spec as I got the leather too.lol
I tried to get a gts but glad I didnt. I like the ease of no power seats as I move it forward and back in a jiff. Plus I prefer the 6 vent hood.
However, I think the back up camera is a must in these cars.

Ns897612
11-23-2020, 03:15 AM
Anyone ever do this yet? If so can you show pics of the process? Thanks

hazer
11-11-2021, 05:02 PM
I'm tackling this project as we speak, dealer also said they couldn't find the wiring, do I have to add a pin into a pigtail or something?

Sniper
11-11-2021, 10:48 PM
I just had backup camera put in my car.
No programming needed by the dealership, plug and play.
I’ve got a 2013 SRT track pack.
The dealer initially said they couldn’t find the plug and wouldn’t do the install and later I talked them into doing it. They were able to find the plug as I let them know once they take the trunk inners out, there’s another piece after that which has to come off that the plugs behind.

Sniper
11-11-2021, 10:50 PM
I'm tackling this project as we speak, dealer also said they couldn't find the wiring, do I have to add a pin into a pigtail or something?

The plug-in is there, they just didn’t take the second piece of trunk out which the plug sits behind.

hazer
11-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Do you happen to have a pic? Sorry just going to tackle this myself over winter.

Sniper
11-13-2021, 05:47 PM
I’ll post the link which has pics, my dealer did mine so I don’t have any.
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/21939-Carbon-Fiber-Rear-Applique-Install?p=352264&viewfull=1#post352264

Sniper
11-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Dealer also cut hole pretty wide for camera so they bought new rear fascia and I had them paint it black.
This car definitely needs a rear camera when backing up.

Matt Dillon
11-24-2021, 12:02 AM
The plug-in is there, they just didn’t take the second piece of trunk out which the plug sits behind.

I'd Love to know what the Stealership charged you for installing this! :) I'd think that would probably answer a lot of guys questions about doing it or Not, thanks

Sniper
11-24-2021, 09:27 AM
I'd Love to know what the Stealership charged you for installing this! :) I'd think that would probably answer a lot of guys questions about doing it or Not, thanks

$667.00 labor and parts and that includes cutting the hole for camera.