PDA

View Full Version : How To Adjust Accelerator pedal height

TCurtner
07-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Ok, i'm mechanical, but before i tear something made out of plastic up, i need some insight. How does one adjust the accelerator pedal height in a Gen IV? it looks like it should be easy. I need to get the accelerator and brake closer to the same plane for heel and toe driving. Currently the a/p is too far below the b/p .:very_drunk:

TCurtner
07-10-2015, 10:28 AM
sweet!

XSnake
07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Ok, i'm mechanical, but before i tear something made out of plastic up, i need some insight. How does one adjust the accelerator pedal height in a Gen IV? it looks like it should be easy. I need to get the accelerator and brake closer to the same plane for heel and toe driving. Currently the a/p is too far below the b/p .:very_drunk:

Or.... http://www.auto-blip.com ;)

TCurtner
07-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Or.... http://www.auto-blip.com ;)

well...hmmmm. How about an F1 trans re-fit??

Steve M
07-10-2015, 12:13 PM

Sounds like a sensible, budget-friendly option. Give it a shot and report back.

XSnake
07-10-2015, 12:14 PM

That's a little different budget level.

TCurtner
07-10-2015, 01:17 PM
So that's it, there is no adjustability from the factory??

Steve M
07-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Nope...you either use the IPSCO spacer to bring it forward, or use it as-is.

ViperPete
07-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I could make that in about 5 minutes. I have the same problem in my Gen V.

Vprbite
07-10-2015, 06:26 PM

What about...could disconnect the gas pedal from moving with the other two. Move them, then reconnect when they are at the plane you want. Then you could have the movement still, just they would be moving in the planes in which you set them. I believe you can disconnect the motor from the pedal individually.

Also, I don't know if you saw the article about me and my solution for my prosthetic leg, but I needed a thick cluth pedal made. Way thicker than you would need here. I could set you up with the manufacturer of mine (known in the Viper community) and you could replace the pedal with a custom one slightly thicker and that would be an option too. I think it would look better too. I don't like the "erector set" look of most extensions.

Good luck!

ViperPete
07-11-2015, 02:17 PM
What about...could disconnect the gas pedal from moving with the other two. Move them, then reconnect when they are at the plane you want. Then you could have the movement still, just they would be moving in the planes in which you set them. I believe you can disconnect the motor from the pedal individually.

Good luck!

It would be a royal PITA to try that.

When I converted my ram to a 6 speed (with power pedals) I could not adjust them individually. I tried to "slide" one of the pedals further down and ended up cracking one of the plastic housings.

I cant imagine doing that with the pedals installed in a vehicle.

TCurtner
07-13-2015, 06:47 AM
I could make that in about 5 minutes. I have the same problem in my Gen V.

I need to check out/drive a Gen V...i was under the impression that a lot of the footbox room and spacing issues were improved...?

Steve M
07-13-2015, 07:58 AM
I need to check out/drive a Gen V...i was under the impression that a lot of the footbox room and spacing issues were improved...?

From what I understand, the pedals were a direct carry-over from the Gen 3/4 cars. I have a feeling the footbox room is also the same.

TCurtner
08-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Here's how.
remove the top pawl nut. Remove the C Clip. Remove the nylon adjustment housing from the pedal assembly (the pedal will now swing off of the rest of the accelerator pedal assembly, and you can now re-attach where you want it). Adjust your brake/clutch pedal to desired relative height to loose accelerator pedal using the auto adjustment switch. Reinstall the nylon adjustment housing by spinning on the adjustment screw in or out (again depending on how you want to re-align relative to the brake/clutch pedals) to get the accelerator where you want it. Reinstall cclip and pawl nut, and you're done. Adjust the entire assembly using the power adjuster to make sure it's where you want it at your personal setting.
NOTE: I'd push the brake pedal by hand before you re-install the accelerator pedal to make sure it's where you want it for heel-and-tow driving. You should be close. This may require another adjustment after driving a few miles - I'll do a follow-up if needed. Thanks to Tom Sessions and VprBite for sending me down the right path to do this.

(apologies for not doing a step by step, but once under there it was hurry up and finish - the pain was too much for me squished up under the steering wheel and in front of the seat - good luck, it's a tight work space)
(ignore the attached thumbnail, i cannot seem to delete it - just consider the pic before my step-by-step)

TCurtner
08-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Report: Works! it is delightful to once again not have to bury my foot in the pedal box to get to the accelerator, and heel-to-toe is now effortless (if i could only now get the engine to rev more crisply, then wind back down just as quickly!)