PDA

View Full Version : Let's show some class when posting on corvetteforum.com

Bruce H.
07-06-2015, 07:15 PM
I joined and posted on corvetteforum.com when I was researching my '14 purchase. I chose the Viper, haven't posted there since, but have recently been viewing threads there to better know the car that some close track rat buddies chose for their street and track needs. One of them is having serious over-heating problems on track, and as of last week the other is now pushing his to very high temps as well.

In the past I've seen some pretty bad posts from Viper owners on the C7 forums that any enthusiast owner would find offensive, but today I viewed a couple in a Z06 vs Viper thread that prompted this thread. These particular posts criticised many aspects of the C7 build, it's performance, it's owner demographic, C7 forum members, moderators and the forum itself. It was childish, like kids saying my whatever is better than yours.

That is completely unacceptable behaviour. There's no excuse for doing that, and had my priorities have been slightly different those comments could have been directed at me, my choice of performance car, and posted on my forum! There's no shortage of car owners making offensive posts on every forum, and thank goodness for the "Ignore List" feature, but when VOA members do that on another car forum, and do it as often as they do, they create a negative impression of all Viper owners. Many C7 owners are so tired of Viper owners posting there that I simply choose not to.

We are all performance car enthusiasts on both forums regardless of how each of us chooses to enjoy the car, and we should show respect for others who do the same. There's always going to be someone who will try to draw you into a confrontation, but don't engage them as it's usually a no-win situation. Like the saying goes..."Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

One of the nice things I've enjoyed about tracking various performance cars is that the guys that tend to do that are among the nicest you'll ever meet. They care a lot more about how you conduct yourself on and off the track rather than what car you drive. Hiding behind a keyboard enables bad behaviour without consequence. I remember one forum member years ago seemed to have an issue with me. We bumped into each other at a track day he came out to with friends as a spectator. I took him out for an early session, and then he asked to join me for 3 or 4 more. Suddenly we were friends. Just consider that the guy you argue with and try to ream a new hole on a forum might be an awful lot like you, and could very well become your friend if you met face to face!

Please don't post on the corvette forum to brag, criticise or for the sport of getting a rise out of their proud enthusiasts. Let's show a lot more class than that.

Bruce

pdv25
07-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I agree Bruce! I post on there sometimes, but i'm not one to argue or insult people online. Funny you brought this up, I just posted today looking to run a A8 C7 ZO6.

slovenom
07-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't get into it but I enjoy reading it...
That's call rivalry etc etc..nothing wrong with some smack talking.... I do agree some ppl there get their feelings hurt too easy thought! !

lochnessmonster
07-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm in complete agreement. Save the arguing, snide comments, and insults for your co-workers. :) They have no place in the car community.

J TNT
07-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Great post Bruce , with out Corvette and other sports cars , the bar would not be raised . And we as enthusiast's would not reap the benefits !
I remember going to the Challenger Plant before it was built and asked the Plant Manager if they would build a Challenger ! The answer was they had no business case to build the Challenger , but when Mustang Sales went through the roof they finally saw the value in it and finally brought it to production . Funny the voices of enthusiasts couldn't make it happen , it took another manufacture to make it happen. fwiw .

vegasgtr
07-06-2015, 08:04 PM
been there for 10 years. If god forbid you mention GTR , Viper they go ape shit. :D

I am fan of all cars. I don't know why people get all bent out of shape about X cars. One guy said the viper looks like shoe. Not sure where that came from. My viper turns so many heads its ridiculous.. Thumbs up all day.

dethred
07-06-2015, 09:05 PM
I was one of (if not) the idiot(s) that took the bait. The only reason I ever joined the Corvette forum was due to cross shopping the C7Z Vette with the M4 before I even considered the Viper as affordable. To be fair, I started off trying to be as non-confrontational as possible, but then some of the guys who don't even own either car began mocking NineBall, to which I instinctively went negative as a result. Not justified and I didn't even mean what I said (again, I was interested in the car before the Viper prices became competitive), but damn that forum just begs for someone to respond back in kind.

darbgnik
07-06-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm not a member over there, and only end up there through a link, but man do some of them drink the Koolaid over there!

Their car HAS to be the best car ever, period. If not in stats, they'll argue price. It's worse than the Lambo forums. Not as bad as the alley, but still......

Although maybe I've only been directed to the train wrecks, who knows?

ViperSmith
07-06-2015, 11:40 PM
I don't see why people can't see they are both great american cars. The A8 is blazing fast.

But the track issues are disappointing. There are quite a few that'll shout Down anyone that has legitimate car trouble.

Interesting they merged all the overheating issues into a single thread so you can't decipher anything useful. Chevy has to be shoveling them money.

VENOM V
07-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Amen Bruce,

Nothing worse than when you're trying to enjoy your machine of choice and some weenies come in and mess with you. Its not rivalry, its not smack talking, its trolling plain and simple. This place was like that not too long ago.

I do feel for the guys over there, they have a legitimate problem with overheating on the track, as ViperSmith said. That is the reason I stopped considering a Vette for a track machine. ACR here I come. But I don't feel the need to rub it in their faces.

EdwardETraylorIII
07-07-2015, 01:17 AM
thats an interesting place, for sure. I've been a member for a long long time.

Fatboy 18
07-07-2015, 02:06 AM
We all get along just fine in the UK we attend each others car shows :) I guess its because we all like American Products :)

No need for insults on forums. Good post Bruce H.

Nine Ball
07-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Agreed on the post. I like both cars, and do not insult them. But, they do have a recent crop of idiot fan-boys, likely teenagers, who constantly attack non-Corvette guys, regardless of how we act. The moderators need to get rid of those kids.

If that black Z06 would have walked me during that first video, I would own one right now. I was very close to ordering a gray Z06. Then the overheat issues piled up, and that became the deal breaker. I watch for improvements made, news about fixing the issues. Been there 15 years, I am friends with many members.

Tony

labtec
07-07-2015, 06:24 AM
The shoe comment started years ago, actually the comment is "clown shoe". Probably started when they released the special red viper with yellow wheels and someone noted it looked like Ronald McDonald's shoe. I must say it was not anyone's favorite color combination. Mine is a 04 triple black and looks nothing like a wing tip :)

been there for 10 years. If god forbid you mention GTR , Viper they go ape shit. :D

I am fan of all cars. I don't know why people get all bent out of shape about X cars. One guy said the viper looks like shoe. Not sure where that came from. My viper turns so many heads its ridiculous.. Thumbs up all day.

FrgMstr
07-07-2015, 07:18 AM
What is this Corvette Forum you speak of? :p

You guys just need to get better at sarcasm.

http://snaphotos.com/photos/1/8219.jpg

As for the "clownshoe" moniker, I know many Viper owners, including myself, that refer to their Gen II cars this way.

Nine Ball
07-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Let me help explain the 'clown shoe' moniker. It typically applies to Gen 1-2 cars, but some ignorant Corvette guys seem to think it applies to every generation. The big flat hood without any body lines sorta resembles a clown shoe.

http://image.ec21.com/image/vincere1/oimg_GC00701281_CA00702130/1995_DODGE_VIPER_RT10.jpg

http://redskytrader.com/images/product-images/clown_shoes_clo005_v2_2.jpg

Ironically, one of my favorite beer brands is "Clown Shoes". Maybe because I like Vipers? Nah, their beer is just damn good. http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/beers/

Herrsss
07-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Clownshoe also is associated with the BMW Z3 M coupe!

https://www.facebook.com/ClownShoeMotorsports

Sybil TF
07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I used to proudly wear my anti-corvette shirt until I outgrew it...:smilielol:

Vprbite
07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Am friend of mine had a red 97 GTS and his plate was CLWNSHU.

I agree about the fanboys arguing that the car is a hair short of a spaceship and spanks the Koenigsegg all day and such. It's probably people who have never even sat in one. True car enthousiasts have a favorite but should respect all performance cars. I tease on Vettes all the time, but I do it here cause we are a Viper forum. And my comments are clearly jokes. When I meet people at car shows, if I meet someone who has an automatic, entry level vette but loves that thing to no end...well then I like it too. Cause I can respect that. I loved my Gen II. I know it wasn't as fast as a new GTR but damn if I didn't love that GTS. And most true car people I meet are cool too. I wouldn't go over to their forums just to talk shit and it would piss me off if they came here to do the same.

FLATOUT
07-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I like the drama it's entertaining lol.

ACRucrazy
07-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks dad.

bogdan
07-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I like how that one guy called out Paul, without knowing that there was already a video of a 650+whp Z06 getting left by the T/A :smilielol:

GBS
07-08-2015, 02:04 PM
I agree! There's no need to bash other people's cars or anything else for that matter. If you don't like a certain kind of car why would you want to go on a forum about it. I can think of a lot of better things to do with my time. Most people wouldn't want some jokers, trolls or whatever coming on VOA and bashing Vipers just to start some SH!T! Personally I don't fine it entertaining or need the drama.

whitebeard
07-08-2015, 06:46 PM
God made a Dodge Viper so Vette guys have heroes.

Edit: I bought two of the shirts in Black with White letters.

ViperRT98
07-20-2015, 10:06 PM
I personally do not like the Corvette Forum. I have meet many of them at Corvette events throughout my 15 years of owning a C4 and C5 Corvettes. The very first time you disagree with their point of view they jump on you like a pack of dogs. When they see you face to face the walk away with their tail between their legs. The are keyboard warriors and I have zero respect for them or their waive. I loved my C5 it was the best car I have ever owned. However if my enjoyment was based just off an internet forum I would have sold the Corvette and purchased a Viper sooner. I agree unless you have a Corvette there is really no reason to be there, however if you have both cars it is a fair comparison that they do not want to hear. I am like most I love all cars no matter the make or model. I purchased a Viper because I always wanted one and not because of a response on a thread. I like what Whitebeard wrote "God made a Dodge Viper so Vette guys have heroes."

RC000E
01-10-2016, 10:11 AM
I think the issue is compounded a bit by the fact that there are some frustrated C7Z owners, and frustrated Corvette fans in general. We've seen some missteps before big magazine tests, repeated visits to the Nurburgring with no results (though I'm hoping we'll see a time at NAIAS), etc. Believe me, they attack each other as much as they attack Corvette and GTR people, I've almost left several times to go enjoy my Corvette alone...lol. The deal is, Corvette sells a lot of cars, so you end up with a bigger pool of diversity...some buy them to be proud, some buy them to be the "best" (in their mind), some buy them to track them (wish there were more), some buy them because they've had a bunch of other Corvettes.

For me, I tend to get frustrated that Ford and Dodge/SRT/Fiat will take some automotive risks that Corvette engineers can't seem to sell to the GM brass as easily. I see GM taking a very methodical, structured approach to growing the Camaro and Corvette image to grab more market share, but at the same time I want to see some risk spending on projects like ACR/FordGT/etc. In the end, if the C7Z would put out a track pack similar to the ACR, had they EVER, Corvette guys could have a chance and I truly believe they could EASILY do that via Pratt/Miller. It comes down to demographics in the past...old guys dont' want wings on their car, they call that "ricer"...they prefer that clean look with the top off and their new lamborghini door kit installed :smilielol:

Nice post though OP...it's been recognized over there by certain people, and they respect it.

Sybil TF
01-12-2016, 10:52 PM
^^^^^That avatar has got to go!!!

Mopar'er no car
01-12-2016, 11:16 PM
I don't really belong out of my cage, but we really should respect our elders..

Vprbite
01-13-2016, 02:32 AM
^^^^^That avatar has got to go!!!

Isn't there a rule they must be Viper related? I suppose cars that have been dominated by the Viper counts?

Vprbite
01-13-2016, 02:34 AM
I don't really belong out of my cage, but we really should respect our elders..

I understand. I was let out of mine due to state budget cuts. They didn't even have money to keep me in my padded room anymore.

plumcrazy
01-13-2016, 04:42 AM
i saw his avatar and sent him a note to change it

City
01-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Isn't there a rule they must be Viper related? I suppose cars that have been dominated by the Viper counts?

Yep. :)

Plum has more patience than me. I pulled it. He's welcome to add an appropriate one at his convenience.

Vprbite
01-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Funny thing is, I do agree in the sense that I don't go on their forums to be a jackass any more often then I would want them to do it here. Which is pretty much never. Do may an odd joke at the corvettes expense on this forum? " I can't recall at this time, senator."

John Galt
02-01-2016, 08:21 AM
I show the ultimate class and superior taste by not even going to the site.

Sybil TF
02-01-2016, 09:57 AM
I show the ultimate class and superior taste by not even going to the site.Lol. Good point.

06SRTCoupe
02-01-2016, 11:54 AM
I agree with Flatout. I think it's entertaining! :D

If you get so upset to the point where you have to vent about it on another forum (such as this one), then you should cancel your membership over there or stop looking at the threads! There is always going to be a heated rivalry between the Viper and the Vette. It's been that way since 1992 and will continue to be that way even if the Viper goes away. Bottom line, either grow some skin or don't read it! Not that hard...

Car forums are car forums. You will always have those people that will troll, talk trash, hate, and run their mouths through their fingers. It gets worse when there is a rivalry. If you let it upset you...then those people have already won without even knowing it. I've been on the CF for 13 years and it is actually better than a lot of other forums out there when it comes to trolling.

FrgMstr
02-01-2016, 04:24 PM
We have a rule on the tech forums I own; thread about other threads are stupid.

unclebsd350
01-25-2019, 06:59 PM
I appreciate you saying this. I own a heads/cam C6 Z06. I have only met two Vipers (Gen 5 ACR & Gen 3 GTS) on the street in my Z06. The ACR looked amazing. Tried getting him to race and the guy didn’t want to go. The Gen 3 however was an older guy and he was eager to race. From a 40 mph roll I put about 4 car lengths on him. Don’t know what they make or what was done to his, etc etc.

I am a car guy. I like all sorts of cars. The Corvette just so happened to be my dream car. When I was 8 yrs old I saw my uncles white C3 stingray. Wanted a Corvette ever since! I’m 30 now and have owned the C6 Z06 for two years now. However I joined this forum to learn about the Viper. I would like to add a Gen 4 or 5 to the stable alongside the Z06. Merely just to have another cool car.

Point of posting was please don’t think all of us on the CorvetteForum are like the C7 guys. Even us(C5/C6 guys) recognize the C7 fanboys lol. Another point of posting is... don’t count the C6 Z06 out. The LS7 is still a formidable foe for you guys ;)

Brenton

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry just realized this was super old haha!!

Bruce H.
01-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Brenton, and may your dream of owning a Viper work out also!

But I have to ask, how on earth did you find this old thread?

unclebsd350
01-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Through a search on google lol. “Owning vette and Viper”. This popped up.

IndyRon
01-26-2019, 01:52 PM
We all make fun of others choices in vehicles. I'm not brand loyal either but enjoy the antics and love trolling the fanboi's. The Gen 1/2 cars have a slight resemblance to a clown shoe though isn't any different than the New FGT looking like an Angry Bird pig from the rear. If everyone always played nice and politically correct we'd have a very uninteresting existence.

unclebsd350
01-26-2019, 10:46 PM
Touché IndyRon

SmoknTires
01-27-2019, 09:54 AM
While it's an old thread, I do want to echo I couldn't agree with the original sentiment more. Most Viper owners aren't like this, and particularly the culture of the club/these forums doesn't support that type of rhetoric. Most Viper owners are car lovers and own all kinds of cars, event those (crappy) vettes. : )

Indy, I'm not sure that the thing that makes forums interesting is the bashing/trolling people do. Though I agree, doesn't have to be politically correct, and certainly don't need to agree on everything. But the keyboard has given people a lot of empowerment and big egos, that their reality doesn't match. It's tiresome. You're not that smart, you're not that tough, you're not that witty, and your life's not that great - without a keyboard in front of you. It's annoying, and rampant on social media as well. The chest beating actually gets quite annoying, particularly by those who don't need to do it to feel relevant. Just don't need to be a complete dick about it...

TOMBOTT2014
01-27-2019, 12:22 PM
I don't think that was it. I believe it started when Corvettes got there a@@ kicked by Vipers so that's why the shoe reference . :)

IndyRon
01-27-2019, 01:48 PM
While it's an old thread, I do want to echo I couldn't agree with the original sentiment more. Most Viper owners aren't like this, and particularly the culture of the club/these forums doesn't support that type of rhetoric. Most Viper owners are car lovers and own all kinds of cars, event those (crappy) vettes. : )

Indy, I'm not sure that the thing that makes forums interesting is the bashing/trolling people do. Though I agree, doesn't have to be politically correct, and certainly don't need to agree on everything. But the keyboard has given people a lot of empowerment and big egos, that their reality doesn't match. It's tiresome. You're not that smart, you're not that tough, you're not that witty, and your life's not that great - without a keyboard in front of you. It's annoying, and rampant on social media as well. The chest beating actually gets quite annoying, particularly by those who don't need to do it to feel relevant. Just don't need to be a complete dick about it...

Sure...common decency applies to any interaction with folks. That said, would you say that we are on the accepting side of average or the “triggering” side? I’d argue that aside from some of the comedic banter between the different Viper generation peeps, things are pretty placid and sanguine here...

SmoknTires
01-28-2019, 09:13 AM
I've known this group for a loooong time. Certainly the exception. I've said it 1000 times, best club out there and best group of people I know.

ViperTony
01-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Sure...common decency applies to any interaction with folks. That said, would you say that we are on the accepting side of average or the “triggering” side? I’d argue that aside from some of the comedic banter between the different Viper generation peeps, things are pretty placid and sanguine here...

I was going to say flaccid but yeah its pretty lame when it comes to smack talk. Too boring if you ask me but I we have many fragile folks out in the world that are easily triggered these days, which quite frankly is most of the fun. But its nice that we can focus on the car here with pretty much not hurting people's feelings without resorting to wrapping themselves up in heavy duty bubble wrap and keeping a stress therapy puppy and hot chocolate nearby because they were offended over a color choice criticism on the forums.

SmoknTires
01-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Heh, don't get me started on being too PC - as I agree greatly. It's the jerks though that take it too far - .01%.

And good idea... Next years renewal gift could be an emotional support mouse (fits easily into the envelope).

ViperJon
01-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Sorry but I like(d) trolling the Vette forum. Not much to poke them with anymore frankly but when the ACR-E first came out and set all the lap records...oh my that was great. They were simply besides themselves.

ViperTony
01-28-2019, 05:46 PM
And good idea... Next years renewal gift could be an emotional support mouse (fits easily into the envelope).

Ha!