PDA

View Full Version : Bad Door Latch keeping interior/mirror light on?

JayR
07-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Driving home this evening, I noticed that my interior lamps on the underside of the rear-view mirror were still on, even though the doors were closed.

For the time being, I just disconnected the mirror via the plastic clip to save the battery.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to my '94 before, and I think I fixed it by replacing the driver's side door latch (bad latch causes the system to think a door is ajar, but it isn't).

Here's my question -- how can I tell which latch, driver side or passenger, is bad? Is it the same part?

I feel dumb asking this question, because I'm pretty sure I solved this problem already about 15 years ago. But I've forgotten how I fixed it.

Jay R.
Red '94
118,000 miles

RTTTTed
07-04-2015, 01:38 AM
I think I saw a suggestion to disconnect the sensors one at a time until you find the culprit. The latches probably have the sensors unless the lights are controlled by the EEM? Electronic Entry Module.

Sorry but my shop manual is at the bodyshop with my Roe Viper or I could check it for you.

JayR
07-04-2015, 10:50 AM
False alarm. The valet at the restaurant (I know, shame, shame!), turned on the dome light at the headlight switch. I never use that control to turn on my dome light, so I totally forgot it can be switched on down there.

So, before blaming the door latch sensors, make sure BOTH dome light switches are off.

Jay R.
Red '94
118,000 miles