PDA

View Full Version : Borla exhaust

Terry
12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I'am looking at replacing my stock exhaust on my 2001 RT/10 I'am looking at Borla cat back system. Borla has 2 systems 14633 and 140049 Touring. I would like opinions on which system is better sounding,

slitherv10
12-04-2013, 11:01 PM
I know I got one of those two. Which one, I don't know. I have the set on with belanger headers and I gotta say, it sounds awesome. Either Borla would seem adequate but, not sure which one I have that I can relate my answer too.
Borla has a really nice gurlggle and backpressure sound that gives it the built old muscle car sound.

Good choice !

GTLaser
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I believe one is a two muffler and one is a four muffler set up.... I have the two with cat-delete and Belanger headers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko-JJ_8wy3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2qO7I-uhQ

99RT10
12-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I have a new Borla setup. Will sell it for $900 plus shipping. Just been sitting and want to get it out of the garage.

VPRPWRD
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
In my experience a touring exhaust will give you a more refined sound, not as in your face loud. Based on what others have posted that would be your 4 muffler set up. So go with the 2 muffler set up because if you are driving a viper it should be as loud on the ears and it is on the eyes. :D

Fuoss484
12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Have not heard the borla in person, but have a Corsa exhaust and love the sounds it makes. The Corsa could be another option for you.

Terry
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I just ordered the Borla cat back 2 muffler set up! Thanks for the feed back.

VPRPWRD
12-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I just ordered the Borla cat back 2 muffler set up! Thanks for the feed back.

Sound clips when installed, please and thank you!!

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Some European contries/cities (Switzerland) have serious sound enforcement in cities. They choose TOURING. Quieter.

USA chooses the normal Performace sys with 2 muffs. [ About $1000 New, MOPAR re-badges this Borla system, adds a Sneaky Pete Etched logo and adds $500 !

Borla is a DRONE MONSTOR however. Magnifies the good and the bad frequencies. Most 'young-minded' owners dont care, Their ladies do.....But metallurgy and frequencies and tone / pitch matter to some.

A Viper cat-back exhaust is like a girlfriend. YOU REALLY LIKE YOURS! Whatever you choose, Belanger, Borla, BB, Corsa, MM, Magnaflow, RandomTech are Soooo much better than UPS-Truck-STOCK.

Anonymous
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I have the touring with no cats and it's sounds great but I also heard the drone factor with a gts compared to a rt is a huge dif depending on what exhaust, so if you have a rt it's not a big deal.

VPRPWRD
12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Some European contries/cities (Switzerland) have serious sound enforcement in cities. They choose TOURING. Quieter.

USA chooses the normal Performace sys with 2 muffs. [ About $1000 New, MOPAR re-badges this Borla system, adds a Sneaky Pete Etched logo and adds $500 !

Borla is a DRONE MONSTOR however. Magnifies the good and the bad frequencies. Most 'young-minded' owners dont care, Their ladies do.....But metallurgy and frequencies and tone / pitch matter to some.

A Viper cat-back exhaust is like a girlfriend. YOU REALLY LIKE YOURS! Whatever you choose, Belanger, Borla, BB, Corsa, MM, Magnaflow, RandomTech are Soooo much better than UPS-Truck-STOCK.

It is hilarious that you refer to it as UPS truck stock, I always felt that way about the Viper and the truck.

Solid Red 98
12-05-2013, 02:37 PM
I had the Borla four-muffler system and liked the muscle car, turbo-muffler sound of days gone by, but alas, the dreaded drone almost made my hearing, and at times sanity, go bye-bye. Granted, I have a GTS, and cabin drone seems to be a bigger issue, but I finally bit the bullet and got a Corsa. Their system develops the Viper voice better, without the brain-case rattling drone. It also pops, snorts, and talks back in a more defined way that I like. So as far as sound from the driver's perspective, I think the Corsa generates more smiles/mile. Long drives are now a pleasure. I haven't looked back.

Dan Cragin
12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
I worked with Borla to develop these systems years ago, they built them on cars we supplied. The systems sound great but do have some drone. The 4 muffler system ended up being the best all around setup.

Stretch
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I have high flow cats and a borla, but not sure which one. I love the sound. It has some drone but mostly on the highway.

01sapphirebob
12-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I have high flow cats and a borla, but not sure which one. I love the sound. It has some drone but mostly on the highway.

Thats what the radio is for:D

Anonymous
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Stretch if in the rear exhaust has two mufflers showing you have the touring model.

VYPR BYT
12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I do like the way Stretch's setup sounds. Thinking about doing the same soon.
It especially sounds good under the bridges for some reason. :smilielol:

Stretch
12-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Stretch if in the rear exhaust has two mufflers showing you have the touring model.

Well shoot, didn't notice the 2001 reference in the first post. I've got side pipes, so not really relevant to the thread. Rookie mistake on my part!

Thats what the radio is for:D

Radio? I don't need no stinkin radio. I've got 10 cylinders of music!

I do like the way Stretch's setup sounds. Thinking about doing the same soon.
It especially sounds good under the bridges for some reason. :smilielol:

I'd apologize for that but I know you loved it :-)

99RT10
12-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Most of the drone can be eliminated by installing a balance tube like Corsa does near the tips and the back side of the mufflers. Cheap and easy fix for any system.

99RT10
12-05-2013, 10:02 PM
I had the Borla four-muffler system and liked the muscle car, turbo-muffler sound of days gone by, but alas, the dreaded drone almost made my hearing, and at times sanity, go bye-bye. Granted, I have a GTS, and cabin drone seems to be a bigger issue, but I finally bit the bullet and got a Corsa. Their system develops the Viper voice better, without the brain-case rattling drone. It also pops, snorts, and talks back in a more defined way that I like. So as far as sound from the driver's perspective, I think the Corsa generates more smiles/mile. Long drives are now a pleasure. I haven't looked back.

See post #20........

Sybil TF
12-06-2013, 08:10 AM
I have the Borla with two mufflers, hiflow cats and M&M headers, sounds fabulous!!

CSXT802
12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
My 2000 gts with headers , no cats and mopar performance ( borla ) 2 muffler exhaust

http://youtu.be/tF9hdlVU-CI

http://youtu.be/Yc3F_2L05Gc

Solid Red 98
12-10-2013, 11:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnQaovk3MM

Here is a short clip of my Corsa at Idle. I liked its more crunchy nature. Its all in what you are looking/listening for.

octopus
12-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Nice sound clips guys! Does anyone have just the Borla 2 muffler catback on their car (stock manifolds and cats)? If so, how does the sound compare to some of the other cars posted thus far? If you happen to have a sound clip throw that up here too! Thanks.

Troublemaker
12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Most of the drone can be eliminated by installing a balance tube like Corsa does near the tips and the back side of the mufflers. Cheap and easy fix for any system.

I was hoping there was a fix for the other systems. I'm not a fan of the Corsa, it came off as raspy but does sound nice. I may pick thay exhaust up from you if you still have it if the fix is that minor.

Solid Red 98
12-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I was hoping there was a fix for the other systems. I'm not a fan of the Corsa, it came off as raspy but does sound nice. I may pick thay exhaust up from you if you still have it if the fix is that minor.
I had a muffler shop install a crossover pipe on my Borla. It helped some of the drone, but not enough for my tastes. Certain rpm's would develop a harmonic that was just plain too raw for any time in the car--even my Corsa drones a bit when cold, but once warm, it sounds mean and not raspy. At full voice, its all Viper V10 and little muddiness. It depends on what you are after, though. GTS's are the droners, even the Gen 5's do it, good luck finding what you like.

My98RT10
12-11-2013, 01:51 PM
I decided to go for Corsa earlier this year (thanks to JonB ;) ). I love the look of the tips and the sound as my goal was to have as little drone as possible. Installed high flow cats at the same time.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/Exhaust/DSC_1130_zps8d44cc2b.jpg

Here's a short comparison between stock (which sounds like a V10 vacuum cleaner :( ) and my new setup :D.

http://youtu.be/96tbSbzX3v8

VIPER BAZ UK
12-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Got a full Borla on mine inc headers , No cats and only two side silencers ... loud when you hit it but quite when cruising. ?

VIP3R
09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Like it a lot, sounds great,
Headers, 2 mufflers, cats?