12-04-2013, 05:08 PM
What brands are the most popular?

Any suggestions / links?

XSnake
12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Simpson, Bell, Stilo, etc... SA2010 and up

01sapphirebob
12-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I bought a Bell. Fits nice. No complaints.

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Buy the lightest Snell SA-2010+ helmet you can afford, and be sure it is HANS-compatible. Light weight = less neck fatigue under Race / track-AutoX G-forces.

HELMET CITY gives 10% off and 2-day air ship standard 888 343 5638 ..... tell Kyle that JonB at PartsRack sent ya

Check their website too: www.helmetcity.com

TowDawg
12-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Buy the lightest Snell SA-2010+ helmet you can afford, and be sure it is HANS-compatible. Light weight = less neck fatigue under Race / track-AutoX G-forces.

HELMET CITY gives 10% off and 2-day air ship standard 888 343 5638 ..... tell Kyle that JonB at PartsRack sent ya

Check their website too: www.helmetcity.com

Jon already answered exactly as I was going to. SA2010, HANS, lightest you can buy.

Policy Limits
12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys ill look into it.

Wonder if wifey can fit it in my christmas stocking....

Policy Limits
12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I like this one:

Ok for beginner?

TowDawg
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
This is probably my next helmet (in matte black). I race an open car mainly now, and a lot of the guys I run with love it because of aero features.
http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1386205606.190&product=helmets_bell&pid=331
Discovery also usually has a 10% discount for NASA members if you happen to join.

I assume you'll be mainly tracking the Viper, so aero isn't really a big deal and neither would a forced air cooling helmet, since it requires an entire system to be installed in the car (like a coolsuit system, but with air).

Here's a great chart with weights of a bunch of different helmets as well. A few ounces may not sound like much (or feel like much when you're holding it), but when you're fighting G's all day, those few ounces can make a huge difference in fatigue and soreness in your neck the next day.

http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/auto-helmet-weights.html

There's also plenty of other high dollar helmets out there that aren't on the list above, but at least you can see the weights of all of these and use them for comparison to anything you're looking at.

Late Apex
12-04-2013, 07:18 PM
If you want the best for your noggin go with ARIA full face and of course the HANS.

FLATOUT
12-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I recently bought a G Force SA2010 in black with Hans. Affordable.

AZTVR
12-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I like my Bell M2; which is now replaced with the M4. Reasons that I bought it were: 1) I had a place where I could try it on for size, 2) it specifically is designed with a wide eyeport and, 3) price. I have not noted any fatigue from it; but, just an HPDE guy a few times a year. That G-force helmet looks like an excellent lighter weight alternative at similar price.

I'd be wary about a black helmet sitting in the car in the sun for an hour or 2 waiting on the next session. Has that been an issue for anyone?

01sapphirebob
12-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I like my Bell M2; which is now replaced with the M4. Reasons that I bought it were: 1) I had a place where I could try it on for size, 2) it specifically is designed with a wide eyeport and, 3) price. I have not noted any fatigue from it; but, just an HPDE guy a few times a year. That G-force helmet looks like an excellent lighter weight alternative at similar price.

I'd be wary about a black helmet sitting in the car in the sun for an hour or 2 waiting on the next session. Has that been an issue for anyone?

Not me. My helmet is black and it was fine for two days at the track.

TowDawg
12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Mine's flat black and never had any issues. Then again, I never leave it sitting in the sun either.

FLATOUT
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I use it similar to you, a couple times a year for Autocross and HPDE's. No issues with the heat either.

slitherv10
12-04-2013, 10:36 PM
What are the differences between a Motorcycle helmet and a race car helmet (or any of the above mentioned)?

TowDawg
12-05-2013, 06:14 AM
The SA vs M rating mostly has to do with the fire resistance of the material inside the helmet. 99% of track day and 100% of racing groups will not let you use a M rated helmet. If it's your absolute first time tracking and you're running in the lowest run group, "some" track day organizations might let you slide with a M helmet if you explain all that to them and tell them that you already own a M helmet.
Another option you can try if you aren't sure about tracking your car and just want to try it out without the investment of buying a SA helmet is to check with anyone around you who might let you borrow theirs. Most guys (racers have to) where a balaclava, so the inside of the helmets aren't all nasty and sweaty. Then all you have to buy is a balaclava for yourself and use the borrowed helmet. They're only $20-$30 for a cheaper one, and if you enjoy tracking your Viper (which if you're thinking about doing it, you will), then you've already got your own balaclava for the future. Not only are they good to wear for the fire protection, but like I mentioned above, they definitely help keep your helmet from getting as nasty inside from sweat.

XSnake
12-05-2013, 07:13 AM
The Hans anchors can be added to any most helmets as well.

Nine Ball
12-05-2013, 08:03 AM
I run a Simpson Bandit, carbon fiber. It was pricey, but the sucker is lightweight and I love how it looks. I never understood guys that buy cheap helmets to protect the one thing that you need the most. Haha

AZTVR
12-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I run a Simpson Bandit, carbon fiber. It was pricey, but the sucker is lightweight and I love how it looks. I never understood guys that buy cheap helmets to protect the one thing that you need the most. Haha

Are you talking about the $3000 Simpson Bandit, or the cheap one? I'm just trying to calibrate your cheapometer versus mine, LOL. You do own a Gen V and a Gen 3 after all, so you are most likely equipped with a different cheapometer than me.

Even if we are talking about the cheaper Bandit, the Bell M4 and the G-Force CFG are half the price (i.e., cheap) and are Snell 2010 certified and no reason to believe the price delta translates to actual improved safety.

JonB ~ PartsRack
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a Black ARAI....with an expensive carry-bag. But when I leave it out between sessions, Roadster or coupe, I put the crown black-side DOWN in the seat. And the brain-bicket side UP. This allows the sweaty-nomex padding to air-dry much faster.

The airflow around an open-cockpit car keeps Black vs White relatively cool, HPDE session lengths, but YES, a Black-Closed-Face is hotter in sunshine an open-cockpit car without forced-air vent.

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

From Snell:

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1.The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2.The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3.The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.