PDA

View Full Version : How to remove and replace trim

stevensonjr
12-04-2013, 04:14 PM
What is the best way to remove the silver colored plastic on top of the console? This is the trim that your forearm rests on behind the shift lever and covers the area over to the parking brake. My 2005 SRT-10 has discolored and worn areas and I want to change it to a carbon fiber trim that won't show wear. Do I just pull it off? Do I heat it? Has anyone done this? Can't stick it on top of the existing trim cause it would be too thick and bulky. I have a well done carbon fiber kit to use when I figure out how to remove the old trim. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Bill

slitherv10
12-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Maybe find out where you can get them and ask the dealer what they suggest.

stevensonjr
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I have the carbon fiber kit already, the dealer said I could install on top of the old one(wouldn't look good) or pull the old one off and install. He wouldn't give an opinion on how to remove the old one. Somebody has had to have this problem, just haven't found them yet. Bill

98intrigue
12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
First thing you need to do is remove the shift knob and the shifter ring. Next, pull up on the rear of the shifter surround behind the window switches (shifter surround is attached to center console with clips). You'll have to unplug the window switch wiring harness and cigarette lighter wiring harness. I think that's it.

stevensonjr
12-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Great, that gives me a good start. After I get the cover off, I need to know how remove the silver/chrome plastic that is glued to the top. After I get that off, the carbon fiber pre-cut pieces can be glued to the top of the cover. I don't want to crack or ruin the cover while getting the glued on silver plastic surface off. Any suggestions on how to pull it off without breaking the cover? Thanks, Bill

steve911
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Borrow your wife's Blow dryer, Eat a big bowl of patience, and go to it. Be gentle with the heat use only the minimum necessary to get the transfer off. Sparingly use alcohol to get the remaining adhesive off.

stevensonjr
12-05-2013, 10:07 PM
OK, I removed the cover and "skinned" the worn silver cover off using a very sharp small knife. There was a lot of glue left so I carefully used a wire wheel to brush off the glue and left a rough surface for the new cover. The kit I bought was claimed to be real carbon fiber with an adhesive backing. I'll provide the source if anyone is interested. Looks good and fits good. Bill