PDA

View Full Version : Rack & pinion seal leak

venum4u
06-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Was informed by the alignment shop, that the rack & pinion seal on my 02 GTS has a small leak. I would have never known as no indication of any leaks on my garage floor. Previous owner rarly drove the car and i purchased with 6901 on odometer. Just wanted to know of any alternatives to doing a full replacement. Thanks

Bugman Jeff
06-21-2015, 10:25 PM
If it were me, if it's not leaking enough to leave drips I'd just leave it be. There are several places on the rack that could be leaking, do you know specifically where?

Dan Cragin
06-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Many times a leak will not show up as a drip on the garage floor until it gets serious. Many times the oil just migrates slowly under the car, until its a bit of a oily mess under the car.

If the leak they describe is on the left side, double check to make sure that the power steering pump or high pressure hose is not leaking, they often drip onto the steering rack boot and give a false

impression about the leak.

If indeed it is the rack leaking, it can be rebuilt. Here on the West Coast we have remanufacture place that can do it right. Not sure in your neck of the woods.

Viper Pit
06-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Indianapolis rack and axle did mine for 300.00. Great service. They get it done in one day and turn it back around to you.

Luisv
06-22-2015, 08:25 PM
You can remove the boot and see what's inside. If needed you can have it rebuilt for less than a third of the cost of a new one.