PDA

View Full Version : Toyota latest to say "no" to FCA merger

Snakebit
06-12-2015, 05:59 PM
This is getting out of control. First, GM. Now Toyota and also read today Peugeot has been approached. Nothing good can come of this for our cars.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/toyota-joins-gm-saying-no-144004997.html

Vprbite
06-13-2015, 08:43 PM
I don't think it's due to FCA floundering in any way. As I inderstand it, they are doing fantastically. And the SRT program has done great things for the company at large, getting people talking about all of their products.

I do see the argument of redundancy in the global market and that merging would potentially cut costs. Especially on things like fasteners and bolts and such. The thing that scares me is, this leads to less competition, which leads to less need to be good. For that matter, it takes away the need to be different. We could all end up going to one of the 2 car dealerships, and you pick car A, B, or C. Just boring boxes in bland colors that make you die inside a little bit every time you go out to the garage and see it. Picture an entire world populated by nothing but PT cruisers.

Photog1
06-13-2015, 10:56 PM
"Picture an entire world populated by nothing but PT cruisers."

All of them in purple. LOL

Coloviper
06-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Time for Marichonne to retire. Stop shopping around and run the damn company already. If he put 1/1000th the effort into fixing the marketing and dealership issues as opposed to trying to approach buyers, they would not need buyers.

G37Sam
06-14-2015, 12:23 AM
If you can't beat them.. buy them? lol

Viper Specialty
06-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Time for Marichonne to retire. Stop shopping around and run the damn company already. If he put 1/1000th the effort into fixing the marketing and dealership issues as opposed to trying to approach buyers, they would not need buyers.

Couldnt have said it better myself. It's obvious he is shopping for his golden parachute.

Roddy
06-17-2015, 03:52 PM

Agreed!

Nine Ball
06-17-2015, 03:57 PM
When/If a brand starts building crappy and uninspiring cars (like Toyota does), then I'll simply quit buying new cars, and keep the older cars. Simple.

Vprbite
06-17-2015, 05:20 PM
As many have done since the 60s, or bought used in the 70s.

I actually think right now is an exciting time for cars. But if they all join forces, look out. It will be boring and bland. As I said, an entire world of PT cruisers because that was decided as the shape that was the most useable. Or they will put online one hundred designs, have people vote online, and the top 5 will be joined by a computer program into an unholy almagamation to satisfy "everyone." And if you don't like it, what are you gonna do? As nine ball said, keep old cars.

Im not a foil hat guy, but my fear of "onstar" makes me feel like one. If it can shut down cars in a carchase, it can shut down cause I am a day late on the payment, cause the system got hacked by China, or they could shut it down during civil unrest. That makes me uneasy. Yeah, it's a bit different than the big three becoming the big 2 and then the big one, but it's all part of the same machine to me.

Snakebit
06-17-2015, 05:54 PM
He just won't take "no" for an answer ...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/exclusive-gm-fca-line-financial-advisers-merger-stand-210527289--sector.html

ViperSmith
06-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Eh, his point is valid to a degree - but if it would turn into another MB/Chrysler style merger is another question.

Think of how many brands Ford spun off as a result of the 2008 crashes

I guess things go in cycles.

Coloviper
06-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Well the Gov-Star is coming to large commercial Vehicles and Trucks as we speak. Government is already mandating vehicle communications for emissions AND ability to shut down 18 Wheelers in the event of a Terrorist attack. Paccar just signed deal with Peoplnet over this very thing.

The fricken government is out of control. I see a civil war coming. Just getting tired of this BS. Sergio just needs to go. Guy turned out to be a nut job. I better stock up on cars I want from the past and a few parts to keep them running. I feel scared for my son growing up in this mess we are leaving him to deal with.

As many have done since the 60s, or bought used in the 70s.

I actually think right now is an exciting time for cars. But if they all join forces, look out. It will be boring and bland. As I said, an entire world of PT cruisers because that was decided as the shape that was the most useable. Or they will put online one hundred designs, have people vote online, and the top 5 will be joined by a computer program into an unholy almagamation to satisfy "everyone." And if you don't like it, what are you gonna do? As nine ball said, keep old cars.

Im not a foil hat guy, but my fear of "onstar" makes me feel like one. If it can shut down cars in a carchase, it can shut down cause I am a day late on the payment, cause the system got hacked by China, or they could shut it down during civil unrest. That makes me uneasy. Yeah, it's a bit different than the big three becoming the big 2 and then the big one, but it's all part of the same machine to me.