PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

City
06-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Maybe some of you family people have gone through this before? I want to begin the process of teaching my daughter to drive. She's not old enough to obtain a learners permit, so if I put her behind the wheel, I'm obviously taking risks.

She's 15 and has driven carts on many occasions (two footed). So my question: Have any of you done this with your kids and if so, is there a particular parking lot that you've used? I was thinking of the lot at the Nikon Theater on Ocean Parkway at Jones Beach since when the theater isn't in use, it's basically empty and it's huge.

Anyway, before I took her out, I was curious how you locals might have handled this. Or if the idea itself is wrought with potential for disaster. BTW- this would not involve a Viper.

MtnBiker
06-11-2015, 09:58 AM
All 3 of my daughters learned to drive at ages 13-14. I taught them first with golf carts, then in fields on my mother's farm, then on country roads, then onto a small highway. It's a bit nerve wracking, but keep your left hand on the e-brake in case you need to pull it. I had one daughter hit the throttle (and not the brake) while backing up in the 'hood. We ended up in a small ditch, but it wasn't too bad. She has never done that again, lol.

I also had my youngest (currently 14) ask if she could learn to drive a stick in the Viper. I passed on that one.

Stretch
06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
My dad took me several times to my grandfather's farm to drive a car when I was about 14... and some tractors. Great experience.

plumcrazy
06-11-2015, 11:12 AM
i taught a few kids how to drive. always in the back lot at a high school. nobody around and safe that way.

City
06-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Yea well I don't have a farm. LOL I'm just worried that some LEO might see us in an empty lot (that's owned and operated by some local municipality) and make an example of me in front of my daughter. I can rent an economy car with a hand break right on the console (at my left hand from the passenger seat) to use if she freaks. I'm pretty confident she'll be fine, but I'm not at all fond of LEOs. Especially short ones.

Maybe some of you LI guys know a good spot.

99RT10
06-11-2015, 11:53 AM
i taught a few kids how to drive. always in the back lot at a high school. nobody around and safe that way.

So uncle Paul is stalking high schools now......................... :eek:

99RT10
06-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Yea well I don't have a farm. LOL I'm just worried that some LEO might see us in an empty lot (that's owned and operated by some local municipality) and make an example of me in front of my daughter. I can rent an economy car with a hand break right on the console (at my left hand from the passenger seat) to use if she freaks. I'm pretty confident she'll be fine, but I'm not at all fond of LEOs. Especially short ones.

Maybe some of you LI guys know a good spot.

If the LEO gives you hard time because you are instructing in a parking lot, he is a douche. Find a nice big private lot in say the mall early on a Sunday or Late during mid-week. No cars around, lot's of room.

ViperJon
06-11-2015, 01:22 PM
The parking fields at Jones Beach and Fire island are huge, and depending on time and weather can be pretty empty.
Can't imagine someone hassling you in there, but anything's possible.

SlateEd
06-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I would definitely aim for a private lot... the private security assigned there can ask you to leave, but they can't ask to see her learner's permit, so you're good.... worst case scenario you apologize, switch drivers and leave...

If you want to go the other way out of the city up to Westchester I can give you some ideas.

City
06-11-2015, 02:46 PM
If the LEO gives you hard time because you are instructing in a parking lot, he is a douche.

I'm thinking that's a given far too often.

The parking fields at Jones Beach and Fire island are huge, and depending on time and weather can be pretty empty.
Can't imagine someone hassling you in there, but anything's possible.

Yep. Most don't have any light poles either. Early morning (8AM) they are almost completely empty, especially the less desirable ones on the north side of the road, across from the beach.

I would definitely aim for a private lot... the private security assigned there can ask you to leave, but they can't ask to see her learner's permit, so you're good.... worst case scenario you apologize, switch drivers and leave...

If you want to go the other way out of the city up to Westchester I can give you some ideas.

Crazy that I have to be so paranoid, but I tend to agree. NJ on a Sunday with the "blue laws" (is that what they are called) when the closest counties retail is all closed. The mall lots are completely empty.

swexlin
06-11-2015, 04:21 PM
On our quiet street, when I was 15, my dad would stop the car, and tell me to drive the rest of the way. (This this in a '78 Ford Fairmount Futura with the 100 hp 6-banger!). We lived on a cul-de-sac (my mother still lives there), and I'd practice parking, braking etc.

Then I took a driver ed course after I got my permit at age 16 here in PA.

1ststrike
06-11-2015, 05:46 PM
I would get permission from someone that has a lot on private property. If you go public property (shopping mall) and get stopped for any reason (like what are you doing driving around) she won't be able to get her license till she's 18. At least in Wisconsin. Otherwise some where very deserted.

plumcrazy
06-11-2015, 08:07 PM
i might know a cop in NNJ who can hook a brother up and keep watch for ya

City
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
i might know a cop in NNJ who can hook a brother up and keep watch for ya

Heh heh. Flash :D

93viperboy
06-13-2015, 05:53 AM
I had Ian learn at my barn on a F350 Crew cab. when he was 12